1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Choice. Ecopia EP100 or Mich Energy XM2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Nov 1, 2011.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't put it off any longer so I'll be getting four new tires next Monday. I've got it down to a choice of two (both available and similar in price).

1. Bridgestone Ecopia EP100: Bridgestone ECOPIA EP100 Tyre

2. Michelin Energy XM2: MICHELIN Energy XM2 - PassengerCar - www.michelin.com.au

No snow or ice here so that's not really a consideration. I want good fuel economy and good tread life. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Michelins, but my nagging doubt is that I don't have any actual rolling resistance data on that particular model (even though I know the "Energy AS" is really good). The "Energy AS" is not listed on the Australian website and the XM2 seems to be their current best in terms of LRR.

Can anyone help me decide? :D

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At the moment the big thing in favor of the Ecopias is that they're a know quantity in terms of LRR and fuel economy (eg user feedback from this site along with tire-rack tests).

I'd like to try the Energy XM2 but unfortunately they are a bit of an unknown. I'd like to think that they are equal (or better) than the "Energy A/S" (which actually beat the EP100s for LRR in the tire-rack tests) but that might just be wishful thinking.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    God doesn't play dice but will you? ;)

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't get the EP100 because rumor has it that it may be discontinued soon. I would not be surprised since the EP422 features the second generation of Ecopia Technology and is an A/S tire, which makes more sense for most hybrid customers.

MB860 ?