1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Crisis in the midst

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusGuy32, Jan 14, 2022.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, theres no tire crisis, I just wanted to get your attention :D

On my last Gen3 and my Volt, I happily waltzed into xyz tire store and purchased Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max or Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. Now I cannot find either of those tires ANYWHERE :eek: I can find Ecopia's, but who wants those? lol.

Also I put a set of Pirelli's on my Mother-out-Laws Gen3, and Im not sure that Im sold on them yet.... what is everybody else buying instead of the Goodyears & Michelin LRR tires?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got me :oops:

Johnny Cakes and PriusGuy32 like this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was able to get Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires within the last year, but the tire shop had to bring them in from a warehouse.

The salesperson also tried to talk me out of them, saying that they've been replaced with another model, I think it was Assurance Max Life. However, the Max Life tires are not rated for fuel efficiency on their own website. So I don't know what to tell you other than try to be persistent and ask them to check around for available inventory, if you are willing to wait for them to bring them in from another location.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Continental PureContact LS?

REVVL V+ 5G ?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max are the ONLY tire option listed for the OE size on my 16" Scion iQ wheels. They develop cracks on the border of the tread and sidewall, albeit getting old age wise but less than 16k mi.....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is that 205/55/R16? That's the size I just had mounted on the Subaru wheels I put on the Prius. 20210820_115337.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    175/60R16 for the iQ. A lot of people change wheels and/or get a different size tire...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

8. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So has anybody purchased Continental tires for their Pri, and have any feedback? I have long viewed Continental tires as inferior to other like brands, but am now reading on Tire Rack's user reviews that their quality and performance may have taken a 180 (for the better)??

You should all know that I am a total 'tire snob' and if I buy tires that are noisy, or harsh over bumps, I will go clinically insane :confused: Thats why I was pretty happy with the Michelin Energy Savers of yesteryear. Heck, I just purchased a set of them 2 years ago for my last Prius and LOVED them. And then <<poof>> just like that - they are now discontinued?! Dammit all....

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first set of tires I bought were Continental True Contacts. GREAT handling and mpg's,
    but they were kinda noisey. Even when they were low on tread they handled great.
    Did very well in the rain. I've always liked Continentals. They were the best tires I had
    on my old VW's.

Then I bought Cooper tires. Inexpensive, because I didn't have money for the Continentals.
    They handled almost as good, very quiet, but I lost 4mpg.
    They also did very well in the rain. But, I won't buy them again. I don't really care about how
    noisey they are, the radio is louder. :)

The set I have now are Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. Walfart had them on clearence for $81 each.
    Less noisey then the Continental's, and they handle very well, wet or dry. And I got my 4mpg back.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hands down the BEST for LRR I ever had, on a previous Civic Hybrid. Too bad Bridgestone is discontinuing them. :(

One thing: when they're half-worn, they're terrible in snow. And they get noisy, but meh.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No snow in Florida! :) The noise is not so bad for me. If the MPG are up, I'll live with the noise.
    I've got over 26,000 miles on them now and they still look good. And still balanced well.
    I'm sue for a rotation, again....
    I wished I had the money to buy 4 more, I would have.
    Not sure what I'll buy next. It will depend on how much money I'll have when I need them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Big supply and free shipping: https://tinyurl.com/MPGTires

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  13. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks!! Just ordered a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S at a great price. Says they will be here by next Friday! (y):cool:

Johnny Cakes likes this.