1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire damage and repair options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noname87, May 10, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There often is a difference between what it is possible to do, what we can do, and what we should do.

To the Original Poster? Well at least you've abandoned the idea of simply watching it and seeing if it starts to bulge...which in my opinion was a dangerous and horrible idea.

You've gotten plenty of advice.

If it was me? With 22000 miles on a set of original tires, which often aren't the best quality to start with, I think I'd look at this as an opportunity to upgrade to a complete set of better tires. But right now, financially, that's possible for me.

If financial considerations are defining in your decision, then I WOULD recommend replacing two...mounting on the back. I think it's the best compromise between saving some money and being as safe as possible.

If another 8000-12000 miles are what you want to shoot for, while you drive on 3 identical tires to the one that has already failed, then replacing 1 is better than not doing anything at all. I find it hard to believe a reputable tire shop would recommend replacing one tire...once when I was younger I had an OEM tire on my Nissan Pick-up become damged on the sidewall, this was with less than 20,000 miles on the vehicle. The OEM's on a Nissan Pick-Up were at least at the time, incredibly cheap. The salesman when I was buying the pick-up was even honest..he told me Nissan just wanted something round and black on the vehicle when they sold it, and he warned me not to expect much more than a year of use out of them. He was right.
    But when I went to replace...everywhere I went at least wanted to replace two. Nobody recommended only replacing one...

Anyway, again to the OP..you know best your financial situation. But I'm glad that at least you've decided to replace the damaged tire. My only further advice would be obvious...if you only replace the one? Keep a close eye on the them all. It does seem obvious to me that where your tires contact the road is exactly the spot where all the automotive design and safety features translate into momentum. IMO overthinking tires is a good thing to do. You can have the safest best designed automobile on the road but if your tires are crappy....you are not in a safe vehicle.

2. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife just blew out a tire on her 2000 Jeep Cherokee.
    Was the best tire on the vehicle!
    Amazing she had no trouble controlling it.
    She was doing at least 55 when it let go.
    And by the time she stopped it was shredded!

Damage to a sidewall is the worst.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I dont think it matters. Our cars have Toyota's Star Safety System. Right? Guys?