1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Discussion - what kind to get

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eug, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    1) The changed title is fine, and is more appropriate.

2) I think I'll still just wait for my dealer to give me a quote. If not too far off the mark, maybe I'll just get it directly from them.

It's seeming a lot more complex then I'd originally hoped, esp. with tirerack coming up with no options for me. If I get them locally, somebody is still going to have to order them for me - and it may as well be the dealer.

I am uncomfortable going with non-XL tires, esp. if there is any possibility of voiding my warranty, and more importantly, if there is any increased risk of problems.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What qualifies as 'XL'?

If a 'XL' tire says 1154@44, and a tire that isn't labeled 'XL' says 1144@44, what's the difference beyond 10 pounds?...

3. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I went to Kelly Blue book to get a comparison of the Carolla and the Prius. The prius weighs about 300# more and uses the same size tires. I suspect that most of the extra weight is from the battery, and is therefore over the rear axle, probably making the distribution closer to 50-50 than in the Carolla which has the trans and larger motor up front. Maybe a maven can check this out. Since most of us Priusniks run our tires over the Toyota recs any way I don't see any problem. Carolla people are not advised to avoid obese passengers for fear of exploding tires. I think that at 40/38 or near my car has a large safety margin with the Nokians.

4. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I tried to post the Caroll/Prius comparison but apparanty goofed. Try II

SPECIFICATIONS

Wheel Base
    102.4 inches
    106.3 inches

Overall Length
    178.3 inches
    175.0 inches

Width
    66.9 inches
    67.9 inches

Height
    57.5 inches
    58.1 inches

Curb Weight
    2502 lbs.
    2568 lbs.
    2890 lbs.

Tires / Wheel Size
    P185/65R15
    P185/65R15

Rear Tires / Wheel Size
    -
    -

Spare Tire
    Compact
    Compact

Wheel Type
    Steel w/Covers
    Aluminum Alloy

Turning Radius

Brakes: Front
    Disc
    ABS
    Disc

Brakes: Rear
    Drum
    ABS
    Drum

Fuel Capacity

Axle Ratio
    -

Ground Clearance

GVWR
    -
    -

Maximum Towing
    NR

Transfer Case
    -
    -

Payload Base Capacity
    -
    -

Truck Bed Volume
    -
    -

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI Guys - only the classic requires XL rated tires. The '04 runs on Standard Load shoes, thanks to the wider aspect ratio.

Let the choices begin.

-Rick

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    OK. My local dealership has some winter tires for it (Michelin?) for US$505 (4 tires) or rims plus tires for $765.

How much do the rims usually go for anyway? The combo rim plus tires package seems like a reasonable deal (since I don't want to do mail order.) It ends up being US$65 per rim if I subtract the (admittedly high) price of the tires.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait, are these the alloy rims that come standard with the car, or just some steel rims?

I would think a set of alloy rims like the ones that come with the car would go for around $500.

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    They said aluminum, but who knows. I'll ask them again. Anyone have the usual pricing of the Prius aluminum rims?

I'm thinking about holding off until next year. I can get steel rims and winter tires for about $600 elsewhere, but they told me the pickin's are slim at this time of the year in that exact size.

Are you saying that $765 would be a good deal with the aluminum rims (compared to $600 with steel rims)?

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Michelin X-Ice vs. Nordic Icetrac

OK, take two... Last year I didn't get winter tires, since nobody had ones that fit in stock.

My local store has Michelin X-Ice (CAD$125/US$100) and Nordic Icetrac (CAD$77/US$62), both in stock.

Whaddya think? Steel wheels would be CAD$50 each. That would make it:

CAD$700/US$560 for the Michelin X-Ice x 4
    CAD$508/US$405 for the Nordic Icetrac x 4

I'm leaning towards the Michelins. They seem beefier, but are they overkill in a place like Toronto?

10. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I ended up getting GT Radial Champiro WT winter tires from Steelcase Tire in Markham (Ontario).

They were CAD$599 for four, including steel rims.

The handling is just OK on dry pavement (sl. squirmy - as expected with snow tires) and they're definitely noisier. I'll reserve final judgement though until I have more km on them, and until I actually hit the snow/ice/rain.

They do seem sturdier in the store than the Nordic Icetrac tires, but probably not quite as beefy as the Michelin X-Ice tires. I've tried neither on my car however.

I can't find much on these tires online though. The store guy says they're a good value, although they did sell Toyo and stuff at higher prices.

Anyone else use GT Radial Champiro WT tires on their Prius 2004/2005?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.gt-tires.com/images/campiro-WT65b.jpg

By the way:

What PSI for winter tires? I believe they set them at 35 PSI front and rear.