1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire followup: who can report on Nokians?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jack 06, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I know, I know, tires again.

My wife got an unrepairable cut on one of our Integrities, which have 38K mi. (They otherwise would have been good for 45K, for those tracking such OEM tire stuff.)

With rainy season starting up, I've decided to buy a new set within 72 hours.

Re-read all the still-accessible tire threads here, mainly about Goodyears and Michelins. But still intrigued by Nokians, esp. for LRR characteristics as well as touted traction and wear.

Recently there was a Nokian group buy, but we don't know who bought, which tire, and how they like 'em. That's why I'm posting. I can get a set, shipped, in 48 hr. for $95 ea. plus mounting, etc. They're WRs (all season).

Who's running Nokians? How are they? (Noise, stability, MPG?)

Thanks.

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jack, I have been usiing Nokians in Vermont for quite a few years and have loved them. Both the dedicated Hakkapeliitta snow tires and the WR all-seasons. They were called Nokia back when I first stared using them.

They have great grip in heavy snow and are quiet on dry pavement where they handle very well. They are very popular in Vermont.

At one time, they were the highest rated snow tires, but I notice that CU rates a few others higher. I am, therefore, thinking of changing to the Michelin X-Ice for my new Prius since they have a higher rating, but I do have second thoughts since I have liked Nokians so well.

I don't think you can go wrong with them although I have no idea how they affect mpg.

3. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Jack - I'm assuming both wife and Prius (and note the order) are ok?!!? :lol:

Good luck with new tires......

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been running the Nokian WRs for close to a year now. The wear well, handle fantastic. They are a relatively quiet tire (MUCH, MUCH better than OEM crap). EXCELLENT in rain. You just won't believe the grip when you drive in heavy rain. I rate the snow handling as VERY GOOD. You have to remember this IS an all season tire. If you want the ultimate snow tire, well, you need dedicated snows. For me, it makes no sense as the snow is cleared quickly here on Long Island. If I lived in Vermont, no doubt, I'd have dedicated snows for the season. Good luck and let us know how you like them assuming you buy 'em.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Green Machine and djasonw, thanks so much. I had to pull the trigger today (with my ATM card!) or wait until Mon. or Tue. My wife's driving around on her little yellow doughnut. So I went for it. Now I feel reassured.

MNPRIUS, thanks for your concern. It wasn't an all-at-once blowout. She's fine.

I just don't get it about Nokians. From all accounts, they're a superior tire. Yet they're only available here in N CA from a handful of mon-and-pop tire dealers, who stock hardly any---have to get them from Portland almost every order.

Tirerack doesn't carry them.

Not available in SoCal at all, the world's biggest tire market.

And why does a Finnish company make one of the world's better tires anyway? Not that they "shouldn't", but you probably get what I mean. It's incongruous.

If they were delivered as promised, I'll have 'em tomorrow. Look forward to it.

6. habel

habel New Member

I get my Prius mid next month, and have ordered the car with Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tyres.

I will give you a report after the fact! ;)

7. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Nokia, the cell phone company started out as a pulp mill factory, then moved in to rubber among other things. I used have a pair of rubber boots made by them (I was born in Finland). The company the grew into a large mess and eventually branched out into cell phones (Scandinavia had one of the first standardized cell phone networks). The company broke up (to concentrate on cell phones) and thus Nokian tires was born, although for the first few years they were still branded Nokia. Nokia also used to make TVs and computer monitors.

As far as making great tires, spend a winter in Finland! They for the most part do not salt the roads there, so you are driving on packed snow and ice!

BTW, Nokia is a suburb of Tampere a city in south central Finland.

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Thanks, petteri. Interesting. Clever folks, those---you---Finns.

The one thing that caught my eye on the Nokian website was the touting of the use of "100% pure silica" in their tires. I've no idea what this adds to tire construction. Anyone?

9. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

A quick search of the web provides the answer to your question. One of the best explanations I read was at in a tire review at 4X4WIREREVIEW.COM. An excerpt from the link is:

"Silica has been added to the rubber used in the tread of some of the newest high-tech tires produced by several manufacturers for a few years. The use of silica increases the number of cross-links between the polymer chains in the rubber compound. When used in the tread, this results in greater wet traction, less rolling resistance, and better wear characteristics. "

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nokian also uses rape-seed or canola oil in some of their tire compounds. That surprised me.

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Dang! Thanks to both of you. Silica and canola oil, huh?

How's THAT for ammunition to be able to talk down those snooty Michelin owners?

(They'll probably just casually note that Michelin puts Camembert cheese and a bit of Cabernet Sauvignon in their Hydroedges.) :p