1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire gauge question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ny biker, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What tire gauge should I buy?

Here's why I ask:

When I bought my first car in '98, I tried to be dutiful in checking the tire pressure and putting air in the tires when needed. But every time, the damn tire gauge would break, leaving me guessing as to what I was doing. Add to this the fact that I am a mechanically-impaired person. In addition to the tire gauge problems, I always seemed to have trouble getting the valve thing on the air pump hose onto the tire valve stem. I tried different air pumps at different gas stations but it was always a frustrating mess, and I would let out more air than I put in. End result, I gave up and just had them put air in the tires when I would go in for an oil change -- yes I know it was a bad thing to have it done so rarely, but there it is.

Now, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and conquer my air-pump inadequacies. But first, I need a tire gauge that won't break on me. Nothing super-cool and fancy, just something that does the job and is reliable. So does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good question. I would like to add my own. With tire pressure sensors inside the Prius tires, could there be a pressure reader that does not even need to be connected to the valve?

3. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just about any auto parts store will have a pressure gauge.

But please don't buy the stright stick type.

For $10.00 dollars you can buy a round dial pressure gauge with a bleed valve.

With the bleed valve, after you fill the tires, you can bleed off a few pounds and have exactly
    the correct pressure in each tire.

Just my 2 cents.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or a $6 digital Accutire gauge.

Have someone who knows how to do it show you. Then practice.

5. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nybiker @ Jul 6 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]474044[/snapback]</div>
    I paid $16 for a gauge at pep boys that has a round analog/needle style indicator in 2 pound increments up to 160PSI. The outside of the guage is surrounded by rubber to protect it from shock. It has a 6-8 inch long stem/handle and a bleeder valve for lowereing pressure. I checked the gauge on a ruska pressure calibration device and it is accurate to within 1PSi of linearity up to the full scale reading. I have found many of the digital devices to be inacurate up to 4 psi on 60 PSI scale. The pressure transducer inside of the digital incicators can not take much abuse due to dropping. Hope this helps you.
    D Rock

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've got two Accutire gauge's that I got at a local tire store and have a friend that works for a large corportaion in their pneumatics division and he check the calibration on both and they are both accurate to 1/2 psi to 60 psi. Less than $10 each. Most mechanical gauges unless liquid filled,if dropped are done for.