1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire gauge?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prompterbob, Mar 31, 2012.

1. prompterbob

prompterbob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any recommendations for an easy to use and accurate tire gauge? I've never been confident using one. It seems I get different readings depending on how it's placed on the valve?

2. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2 I Have purchased from Amazon
    Accutire MS-4021B Standard Digital Tire Gauge http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080QHMM/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

and
    Moroso 89560 Tire Pressure Gauge, Dial Type, 0-60 psi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COS8FI/ref=wms_ohs_product

3. prompterbob

prompterbob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like dial type gages with button to release some pressure. Without that, you have to push the button in middle of valve, then maybe too much pressure loss, then have to start over.

Slime brand gages are very common in our auto parts stores and can be had for about $9. I don't like swivel head, just get a straight one to stick straight onto the valve stem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013JVZ7O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0020SYY3O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CQYNNN0D83VVMB3331Q

Some spend a lot on gages, but not me. Can compare readings from your dial gage to a couple other stick gages.

I use stick gage for spare tire, about 10 - 110 psi is common or thereabouts.

Heads up - don't use your 60 psi dial gage on the spare which requires 60 psi ... it will bang the needle and ruin your gage.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use dial gauges. The ones with the batteries are dead too often, when i really need to use them.

6. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check out the user reviews on these items.
    The 2 I suggested have hundreds of Positive Reviews.
    Either one will do the job.

7. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Decent reviews overall; your first one, the Accutire is a throw away IMO... If it lasts a year then I could be happy with that one.

The second one is nice as well, but the negative reviews told the tale of what seems to be only a 6 month warranty. Pretty bad for for a gage that costs that much. Never mind the dolt that dropped his and wanted it replaced. :eek:

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't use digital tire gauges. As a machinist, I've used mechanical dial calipersfor over 40 years. My 40 year old cheap dial caliper still works. It adjusts for wear with one thumb screw by moving the dial.

I've thrown out more digital calipers that I can count over the last 10 eyars. Dirt and dust gets in them and the batteries last no more than a few months.

I read the May 2012 Consumer Reports ratings that gave top ratings for the two Accugauge models mentioned here. They got their high ratings mainly because of accuracy.

I don't really care, if a tire gauge is accurate to less than ghalf a pound. Repeatability is much more important.

I just want all four tires to be at the same peressure, or at the very least, the tires opposite each other to have equal pressure.

For this, the dial bourdon tube pressure gauge is the best. The sliding pencil type will become inaccurate, since it has to overcome friction. It is less likely to give consistent results, since dsut and dirt fets in them.

9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First question you have to ask yourself is what tire pressure will you use?

Air pressure gauges are most accurate at 40 to 60% of the max reading (and still reasonably accurate out to the 25%/75% marks) so if you fill your tire to 24 to 36 psi a 60 psi gauge is appropriate. If you inflate to 38 psi or higher you'll want the 100 psi gauge (as the split between the two is the average of 36 and 40.). Many newer tires have a sidewall max of 51 psi (some still say 44 psi) and many hyper milers fill tires to sidewall or above. I wouldn't suggest that for the average driver but it's no less inaccurate than recommending one tire gauge for all uses.

Less importantly compact spare tires have a higher pressure requirement than a typical car tire (some as high as 80 psi) so it doesn't hurt to be able to accurately measure the spare.

Another factor is a tire pressurized to above the limit on your gauge can damage the gauge but an under inflated tire will give overly inaccurate readings on very high pressure gauges. Given those caveats it might be better to set targets for gauges like this:

A 60 psi tire gauge is good for 15 to 45 psi
    A 100 psi tire gauge is good for 35 to 75 psi

For a Prius driver I'd recommend a 100 PSI gauge and then I'd say go to the model specific forum to see the tire pressure recommendations.

10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Advanced auto parts has a nice digital one I picked up about a month ago. I cant remember the exact name but it cost about 8 bucks and it is accurate to +/- .5 psi.

11. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Get a parts store or Wal-Mart $2 standard gauge, in the color you prefer. I have one for each of our 7 vehicles. They are accurate enough, repeatedly accurate, no batteries to die, and lightweight. If you have trouble with a tire gauge, practice. Practice next to a live air hose if you need to, but practice.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one of the Slime brand mini gauges with the rubber casing- you see them in buckets at the register for a couple of bucks at auto parts stores. I've checked it against my more expensive gauges- and it's just as accurate and small enough to throw in the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BBGUS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

13. No Idle

No Idle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What would you suggest for a best tire pressure? Have a new Prius Three (2 weeks old), using mostly as a commuter with one or two people, not much luggage...

14. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an 07 and I keep the front at 42 and the rear at 40. It seems to be the best for me. My lifetime MPG is 56.
    Hope This Helps And Best Of Luck with Your New Ride!

15. No Idle

No Idle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!... I will check it and adjust... And Yes I love my new vehicle, the MPG put a smile on my face every day!...

16. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome To PriusChat .

I remember the excitement waiting for my 2007 Prius to come in. Every since than I remain excited with all the features of this wonderful car. But Best Of All The Gas Savings, I have been getting 56 MPG for the last 4 years.

I hope you enjoy your new baby as much as I do mine.

17. No Idle

No Idle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I can see that - being excited over and over about it. 'Cause saving money doesn't get old. We are already talking about getting another one, maybe around Christmas (Prius C?)...