1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire inflation warning light !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Toppcat, May 23, 2016.

1. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dealer said aftermarket wheel maybe causing malfunction! Duh first I heard of that? I explained I made 2 prior trip from San Francisco to LA w no problem! Recently well into 300 miles the tire light comes on ! Outside temp was 98 degrees traveling 85-100 mph w total 2 persons in car small luggage. Pulled off and check pressure hot 48 frt. 42 rear. Adjusted pressure in LA 42 frt 40 rear cold! Now with 3 person and 300 lbs luggage's tire light remain off untill the last 20 miles of a 430 mile trip! I believe tpms is going out! My Prius is 2015 package 5 . W tech package. BTW . How do you reset the tpms ?

#1 Toppcat, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just check the pressures to make sure. Some wheels actually leak air, my 17-inch OEM Persona wheel is one of them. So, it's not just aftermarket. Also, the bead (the seam between the wheel and the tire) can leak. Your tire shop can work on it, including buffing out the wheel and even putting a sealant along the bead to help seal it. I've had this too, on a BMW.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try the reset button procedure too. Maybe the values it's set to are too high? Couldn't hurt, anyway.

Last summer, on a road trip, the light went on for us. I pulled into a gas station, checked: none were low. Just for the heck of it I bumped them all about 4 pounds. Light went off, and stayed off some weeks later, when I adjusted them back down. Something buggy?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can use miniVCI and Techstream to read the tire pressures. As you may know the TPMS batteries can go bad but they are lasting ~10 years on our 2006. Someone said the touring wheels may be hatrder on the TPMS.

5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try dropping the tires to back to the sill plate pressures, reset the TPMS system, and then raise your pressures again. Sometimes I have to drive for at least 30 minutes to get the light to go off.

Has anyone actually documented the batteries dying on the in-wheel sensors?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...older cars 2006/2007 TPMS batts are failing for sure...is that what you meant?
    They are supposed to last 5-7 years but I went 9,5 years before one went bad,
    2006 is the first model year so its just starting to happen more often.

7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I've got a 2009 and was wondering how long they have. Sensors do go bad at some rate, just haven't heard a lot of chatter on here about the internal batteries going bad (yet) but know they have to go sometime. I guess the only remedy is replacement of the entire TPMS sending unit on the inside of the tire, since the batteries don't seem to be replaceable. Maybe someone will start rebuilding them? Since 2006 was pretty much the Federal legislation that made them standard, the wave might turn into a tsunami.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes we are getting increased posts...see my thread under Gen2 - Management of TPMS with Techstream.
    You can get OEM unit about $37 on Amazon (per tire), then you gotta replace the one in the tire. Or just screw it and live with the warning light. There are cheaper than OEM too.

Best idea if you wanna keep 'em is try to replace during tire replacement once you get to the 7-8 year mark. But I was clueless until it went bad on me.