1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire inflator recommendations

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Marine Ray, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have decided to go with tire repair kit vs. extra spare for long trips. Photo from my local Walmart. Which tire inflator should I get? Or another one from the internet? 20190907_073940.jpg

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For emergency "just in case" use, any inflator would work. I think even the "kit" included in the PRIME can be used as an inflator with a plug to fill the hole where the "goo" bottle attaches. I have not explored that option myself, so don't ask me the detail for the conversion of the repair kit to use as a regular inflator. Some members here in PC will suggest a manual bike pump instead of 12V one.

That being said, for high power, durable and reliable unit, I bought this one. 70P Portable Compressor | VIAIR It is the least expensive portable air compressor by Viair currently sells ~$33 at Amazon or ~$38 at Walmart. I had mine for over 5 years now. Only thing is that it is still too powerful on most cigarette lighter outlet (usually equipped with 10A fuse), thus you will need an adaptor to connect the pump directly to the 12V battery. Otherwise, you will likely to blow fuse, which I have done several times.

IMG_20170921_170027.jpg

#2 Salamander_King, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CAVEAT INCLUDED......

I relatively recently bought the Bonaire Dual Power Inflator at Costco. I believe it was less than $40.

My caveat is that so far it's been great. BUT so far isn't very much of a sample size. I've only used it twice, and only to maintain and set tire pressure in perfectly good functioning tires.

But so far I love it.

It's small enough to store in the vehicle. It's light, easy to use.
    What I like the most about it, is the ability to preset a specific desired tire pressure, have the inflator reach this pressure and then automatically shut off.

And the gauge seems to be pretty accurate. I tested what it was reading and saying...vs. a hand held Tire Pressure Gauge I've had for years, and they match...so it makes inflating and maintaining proper tire PSI very easy.

But 2 things. I don't know how long it will last. Hopefully a long time? But again, my ownership and sample size of usage is small.
    Secondly?
    If you were using it for an "Emergency Situation", that is to try to inflate a patched or restored flat tire? I would imagine it could and would do this, but again my usage has been only to add a few PSI...to maintain a consistent PSI to "normal" operating tires.

It has an AC cord for automotive usage, and a regular plug in cord, for any inflation usages inside the house, with attachments for mattresses, etc.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the purchase, specifically for inflating my tires. But my review and recommendation has to include the caveat that it's a early purchase review, with not a lot of time and long term usage behind it.
    But so far? It's great.

I still have an older portable battery powered unit that inflates tires, with a compressor, and also has a battery jump aspect. I've had it for years and keep it....charged inside.
    But now I keep it mostly for the possibility of needing to jump a battery, mine or others.
    It worked fine, and is still working fine, but does not have the automatic pre-set tire pressure feature, AND most notably because it is basically a big battery it's relatively large and heavy. The new one I can easily store IN the vehicle with little weight or size taken up.

I find using the new Bonaire Dual Powered Inflator, much easier.

TGrracie and Marine Ray like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I'm in that camp, very simple and easy to use. A little labourious, but not really bad.

A little more food for thought: some jump packs have an air compressor built-in: Jump-N-Carry JNCAIR 1700 (for one) looks interesting.

Marine Ray likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just looked it up. I think I have one similar to this somewhere which was given to us used from someone who no longer needed it. I like all-in-one and cordless option, but keeping the battery charged may require more maintenance, and it seems a bit more bulky and expensive than buying two separate units. I recently invested in this jump start battery pack just in case my PRIME's 12V battery experience premature death reported by many. Small enough to fit into the glove box.

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 1.04.16 PM.png

Marine Ray and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I should have maybe got my daughter one of the above. I got her a (big ol') JNC660. She did use it once now, so I guess she's ok with it now. They're 18~20 pounds, at least quite a flat unit, can slip under a seat, for example.

Marine Ray likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I mentioned above, I had, and still have one of those jump packs with a compressor.
    And one thing to keep in mind, if your usage is projected to primarily be tire related is those packs are relatively heavy, because a big portion of them are just a big battery.

I bought a tire inflation specific device, because I got tired of lugging the jump pack out to the vehicle and then around to each tire.
    I feel for inflating tires, it is much easier/convenient to use.

On the flip side?
    When I owned my Prius, I liked the combination compressor/jump pack, because I NEVER wanted to use my Prius to give a jump, or receive a jump. Having the jump pack option divorced me from that problem.
    Also?
    I liked that I did NOT have to plug in the combo jump pack/compressor to the Prius. Once charged up...inside the house, it ran on it's own power. Given the potential sensitivity of the Prius electrical system and electronics, I liked that I could inflate my tires with NOTHING connected to the Prius except the pump to the tires.

I don't worry as much about that with the Honda Fit and have no qualms about using the AC with an accessory. Maybe I shouldn't of with the Prius either, but I liked NOT having to worry about it...which was an advantage of a fully chargeable self contained battery powered unit.

Marine Ray and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, my PRIME has no space under a seat IIRC.

Marine Ray likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah my jnc660 resides in the underfloor tray, but I thought I better not mention that.

Marine Ray likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. For ordinary able-bodied adults, a regular bike floor pump should do the job, and may even be faster than some 12V pumps.
    [​IMG]

Start with a 'regular' version. The 'high volume' versions (fatter barrel) will be much faster for big people, but may require more pump force to reach full inflation than small people can reasonably apply. The 'high pressure' versions (narrow barrel) will allow smaller people to better reach full inflation, but will take significantly longer for all users.

This won't work for everyone, but those people should already know who they are.

With my regular pump, a Prius tire takes 7 strokes per 1 psi, a Forester tire takes 10 strokes. But I can easily beat my 12V pump, which also takes a long time afterwards to get the hose and cord properly stowed.

#10 fuzzy1, Sep 7, 2019
    Mendel Leisk and Marine Ray like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just took a peek under the seats of my PRIME. There is no accessible space under the rear seats. There is about 2.5-inch hight space under the driver and front passenger seats, but with some wires, the entire size of the seat may not be available. I really can not get to the space from the front side, and the access from the back is also somewhat limited due to the angle of the seat. I might be able to store some tools in a bag I currently have in the under-deck compartment of the trunk for the charge cable.

Yeah, plug and cord can get messy with 12V inflator even with 120V plug option. That's why I use this tire inflator for an everyday top-up job of 1-2psi. I already owned battery for other hand tools. The inflator tool was cheap enough addition. I think got mine basically free when it was on sale with other tools I purchased.

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 1.26.48 PM.png

12. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Marine Ray likes this.
  13. bcrtops

bcrtops Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Home Depot / Ryobi / 18v tools ...........also make a nice unit that doubles as an air mattress inflator that has an auto pressure gauge feature. I have the older model, but basically same as the newer model. Works well & handy around the place, also. Used it numerous times topping air off in cars/truck & garden tractor, wheelbarrow tires, etc. Handier than stretching out & picking up air hose from my main compressor. Lives in the Prime, along with patch kit & (normally) a spare tire when room is available.
    RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Dual Function Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)-P747 - The Home Depot

Salamander_King and Marine Ray like this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I've had an eye on that tool. It is nice to have an auto-stop feature. Is the internal digital gauge accurate? I noticed my handheld inflators inline analog gauge is way off. As I said, I got the handheld one basically free when I purchased other tools they were giving it away. So, I can't complain too much.

15. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Less than 3 min on 195 65R15 tires.
    See here for fill rate. 70P Portable Compressor | VIAIR

Rob43 and roypaik like this.
  17. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow that's great! Thanks. Do you have a link to the cig plug to battery cable?

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't remember which one I bought, but search "cigarette lighter to battery adaptor" on Amazon. You will find many at around $10. Just make sure it is rated for at least 15A or with 16AWG. Many have 10A in-line fuse, but this compressor will blow it,

#18 Salamander_King, Sep 7, 2019
    roypaik likes this.
  19. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amazon.ca, all in:

upload_2019-9-8_9-37-10.png

I'll stick with a manual floor-standing bicycle pump, was maybe $30, a decade of use and it's fine.