1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ajc, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First I got a blow out on one tire with only 4000 miles. I currently have 24000 miles and had three flats on other tires. Before the Prius I haven't had a flat in 20 years. What's the story with these tires? Is anyone else having these issues with there tires?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You didn't tell us what brand of tire you have. There were as many as four brands used on the 2010 Prius.

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've gotten two flats with my 2010 as well, but I don't think it's a function of tires ... I think it's just a result of bad luck. Twice I got a screw in the tire. No big deal ... I just had it patched from the inside and went on my way ... I've never had an issue with a patch done this way, and don't worry about it at all.

REV

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 09 and have had no issues with my tires save for a nail which was easily patched.

What is your tire pressure?

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you traded in your monster truck you forgot you can't off-road in your Prius. :p

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1. Hard to say w/o knowing which one.

to OP: bad tire batch? new construction in are? maybe your SUV-driving neighbor hates you?

7. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yokohama

8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if those Avids S33s then no, nothing unusual about them. Had a couple flats due to construction debris (roof nails, etc) but nothing major. Got almost 50K out of fronts, rears still going.

They might be thinner and easier to puncture though, but nothing unusual.

9. MainerPrius

MainerPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HELP!! Re: Tire issues

I've got the Yoko's too and another driver in the family grazed a curb pretty hard and tore the sidewall today. I'm having a h*ll of a time trying to get the flat off :frusty::frusty::frusty:. I'm thinking that there's a pretty thick layer of rust between the alloy rim and the steel brake rotor. I've got it jacked up now and have whacked the rim several times with a hammer and it's still not bugging. I sprayed some PB Blaster rust penetrant in the lug nut holes and hope it will seep in and break up the rust/alloy rim bond. I know not to get any on braking surface of the rotors and will clean any off with brake cleaner once I get the alloy off. Anyone else have the same issue? :eek: I'm grateful that it's not snowing or raining, and have the comfort of the garage to work on it in. Thanks in advance!
    Greg, stranded in Maine!!

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Report the blow outs to Toyota HQ - don't bother going via the dealers (assuming it was a stock tyre)

I have driven millions of miles in my life and never had a blow out in all that time. The first ever blow out I had was with the Prius when it was only a few months old! The tyres were the stock Bridgestones. Unfortunately I was in a place and a time where I had to have the tyre replaced quickly (I can't work the car on the space saver spare) and the damaged tyre was recycled before Toyota could see it and replace it either under warranty or take it away to investigate things further. This all happened in late 2009 or early 2010.

There were a number of blow out reports back then so maybe there was a bad batch out there. You might just be unlucky and had a one off bad tyre or caught a nail OR there might be a tyre issue. Was the tyre that blew out a stock tyre or one you'd purchased yourself?

11. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You must be driving where there is a lot of construction, on the shoulder of the road, off the center line or travel grooves.. I call this the sand zone.here in NE the sand accumulates to both left , right and center of the lane. Often people travel off center lane and all that crap is sand blasting your paint and windshield.

Take a walk on the side of a well traveled road and you will be amazed what is there that can puncture you tires.

Hope you have better luck in the future. Watch out for those potholes

12. MainerPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: HELP!! Re: Tire issues

Got the flat off, now off to the tire place in the morning to get 2 new front tires!! Took several more blows with the hammer and cursing to get it off finally.

13. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Maine's famous for causin' all kinds of rust with the stuff they put on our roads so none of us evah have to drive on a snow covered road, don't ya know.

Take all your wheels off and put some Anti-Seize on the wheel, where it contacts the hub. Just a very thin coat. It goes a long way. I use 'VersaChem' Type 13 HI-Temp Copper formula. Just happened to be the stuff they had when I went out to get some.

The small jar has been with me for 17 years and finds its way to everyone's car that happens to get their 'Summer wheels' swapped for 'Winter winter' and back... sometimes looks like my garage becomes a wheel shop a couple of times a year! Probably enough left in the container for another 17 years of wheel changes.

Wheels come right off without any forcing.:)

1 person likes this.
  14. MainerPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Great tip there! :thumb:
    I'm off :bolt: to shop around town for tires, fortunately I have 3 different places I can get tires and they all price match eachother.
    Greg