1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Noise information

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GaryD1, Sep 23, 2017.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 2015 Prius 2 with 27K mile on tires, came with Goodyear Assurance tires. The tires are still quiet and decent ride. I have 2016 Eco with 27k miles on tires, have Toyo(NanoEnergy A 29) tires on it and very noisy. I decided to switch out the wheels and tires, I put Toyo tires on 2015 and Goodyear on Prius Eco. The results were a quiet ride now on the Prius Eco and small amount of road noise on 2015 that now have the Toyo tires on it. The wheel covers would not interchange but can live with that, wife don't know the difference. The Prius Eco may take a cut in MPG but 2015 may get better. I'll report back on that later.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    intersting, i wonder if they cut back insulation on the eco to save weight.

RCO likes this.
  3. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet they did cut back on insulation. The toyo tires didn't have as much wear on them at Goodyear Assurance tires. The tread on Toyo tires are wider but same wall size. More tread on road surface with Toyo tires. You would think that would account for worst MPG with toyo tires. I've only drove about 30 miles since the switch, can't tell any difference in MPG with the Goodyear tires on the Eco. The Eco is a really smooth ride now, wife could tell a big difference.

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best I can tell the Goodyear Assurance tires on Eco are not as good with MPG as the Toyo tires. The Goodyear Assurance tire are getting 2 mpg less the best I can tell. Is anyone running Michelin Energy Saver A/S on their Gen 4 Prius? If so what kind of gas mileage you getting?

5. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, checking back in. I'm getting real good mpg on my 2015 since putting Toyo NanoEnergy tires and wheels off Prius Eco on it. The Prius Eco now running the Goodyear Assurance 2015 tires and wheels mpgs is not so good. I'm switching back tires tomorrow because wheel covers wouldn't interchange and also both cars are now showing the low tire inflation warning sign due to valve stem code change. Switching the tires and wheels back will correct this low inflation warning sign. I found out that Toyo NanoEnergy tires are very good on Gen 3 Prius for mpg and are pretty quiet. I also found out that the Toyo tires are indeed noisy on the Gen 4 Prius Eco and the noise was not coming from another problem with the car. I will be buying Toyo NanoEnergy a 29 tires with my next set of tires for Gen 3 Prius. The verdict is still out on what tires to put on Gen 4 Prius Eco to replace the noisy Toyo NonoEnergy a29 tires.

RCO likes this.