1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Indicator Issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil Kennelty, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok so just using the scanner at each tire with a read is not enough? if the batteries are good in the tire sensor then where can another problem exist?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So if the antenna is in the right back hatch and the weak sensor battery is on the left front, you can easily have a sensor battery problem. The reality is the sensor batteries often weaken or fail after ten years.

Think about it. Does your cell phone battery last for ten years? Your smoke detector? The battery in your fob? The tv remote?

Reading the values with Techstream or other appropriate obd2 scanner tells the story as shown in post 17.

Or you could trade for a Honda. They don't have tpms sensors. They use the abs wheel speed sensors and look for rpm differences a low pressure tire presents.

#22 rjparker, Jul 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  3. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so if i buy a new set of sensors and next time i buy a new set of tiresm ask they change out the sensors at same time that would be the best option at this point. I was t boned las year in the rear driver quarter panel and it start about a nonth after that. I never got the damage fixed becasue its a 2010 with 190k and Ide rather use the ins check toward new prius when this one is finished.

I did remove spare before the sensor issue then put it back in but not sure if that could\would cause issue if spare isnt set back in right. I ve uses the set button but that didnt do anything, I recently has a nail in tire and was luck to notice a poorly inflated tire while at the gs before it got ruined. I had it patched.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For the third time, have someone check with an appropriate obd2 scanner. If all four are out, maybe the antenna is damaged. From a wreck someone never mentioned or fixed. Read above to discover where the antenna is....

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, the latest pack of smoke / CO detectors I bought did come with a built-in non-replaceable 10-year battery. And an internal clock to 'retire' the device 10 years from initial activation, a forced expiration to 'encourage' users to follow the modern recommendation that CO detectors be replaced every 10 years. Which is how the unit being replaced reached its end of life, announced with a warning alarm.

The cheap digital watches I've bought in recent years also have 10-year batteries. But I'm rough on them, typically breaking a band-mount tab off the case during farm work or other manual labor within two or three years, so the desk drawer has several old broken ones still happily ticking away, just missing half their band. A few weeks ago I converted one to pendant form for the spouse.

It seems likely that all these 10+ year batteries have lithium chemistries. Lithium primary cells can have extremely long shelf lives.