1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Light / ABS / VSC / !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jackct, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Jackct

Jackct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for such a great resource of information and help.
    I bought a used 2009 Toyota Prius 6 with The standard 15” wheels for my parents. Tire pressure light was on and was told by seller it was a faulty TPMS. Drove it on the highway a few days later and when I had driven around 60mph for a period the ABS, VSC and ! came on. Once off the highway and doing around 45mph it went off. Since the Prius had three makes of tires I decided to get them Changed as well as the “faulty” TPMS. Repair shop called to say there is nothing wrong with them and they tried to reset the system but seems to be a computer issue.
    I have yet to run it on the highway again but would the tire pressure light cause the other lights to come on.
    I have read checking the spare tire could be the issue, is this true?

I truly appreciate any advice or suggestions before I take it to a mechanic or dealer.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    te 3 makes were probably the issue. too bad they didn't replace the tpms, they're only good for about 10 years, and you'll have to remove the tires to do it.
    there is no connection between the spare and any other part of the car, unless you are using it. and in that case, yes. it should only go on the back, and you shouldn't go over 50 mph, or more than 50 miles on it.

if you have 4 new tires and the pressures are set correctly, take it out and let us know what happens.

Jackct likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You would need to have ALL the computer systems scanned for codes before you can begin to determine what is going on. If warning lights were on then there should be codes stored . If the TPMS sensors are working correctly but "cannot be programmed" then there should be a code. It MIGHT be possible that mismatched tires COULD skew the wheel speed sensor readings enough to confuse the brake ecu, but that's a guess.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Jackct

Jackct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the reply. I took the car to the shop I bought it from and they ran a computer test and came up as C2124. They reset the Prius computer system. Tire pressure light went out. Drove back on highway and the three lights came on again then the tire pressure light after. Any suggestions where I start trouble shooting or looking.

5. Jackct

Jackct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just wanted to let you know we found the problem with the VSC ABS and ! There was a bad install of the plate that the front sensor goes into. I have photos but don’t know how to attach. We took wheel off and wheel hub so we could move that plate into the right position. Taken two long drives and no more lights on. We had two TPMS replaced after computer from seller gave us codes but needs to apparently be set by the dealer. I’m going to try Pepboys tomorrow

6. Jackct

Jackct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1CBCA80B-0460-418C-90A5-7D92D6BBC550.jpeg ACD71EE6-8EE9-4C98-871E-BB65AD9649DF.jpeg