1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Light On After New Tire Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoelMarcey, Jul 17, 2009.

1. JoelMarcey

JoelMarcey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got some new tires today (Michelin X-Radials from Costco). Very professional and courteous folks there, by the way.

Anyway, when I picked up the car, I noticed that the tire pressure light was on. I went and asked about this. I was told by the technician that it is normal for the light to be on and that after driving above 25 mph for 20 minutes or so, the light should go off.

I am assuming this is some sort of initialization technique that it talks about in the manual, but have you heard of this before?

Thanks.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I bought 2 Michelin X-radials 15k miles ago, the TPMS light was lit when I got the car back. I immediately thought that they set the pressure to factory specs on the new tires. No problem, we had a compressor at work which was only 2 miles away.

So I checked the new tires and sure enough, the pressure was set at 33 psi (they were on the back). I inflated back to 40 psi. The TPMS light is still on. I checked the front tires (still the original GY), and found that they changed those to 35 psi.

Long story short, they probably set the pressure to the door sticker pressure, but the TPMS is set for a higher pressure.

Set the pressure to what you want, then follow the procedure in the owners manual to reset the TPMS if necessary.

If that doesn't fix the problem, take it back to the tire store; they might have damaged one of the sensors. They won't be happy if they did, but they should fix it.