1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cs964111, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Cs964111

Cs964111 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi! When I turn the car on, the tire pressure light comes on and flashes for a few seconds. Then it stops flashing and stays on. My tire pressure is fine. I got my spark plugs replaced today and the light came on as soon as I left the auto shop. Is this a coincidence or could they have done something to mess with the sensor etc.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You just need a new sensor, those batteries die and the car loses contact

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or for some other possible reason, the car is not hearing one or more TPMS sensors. While a dead sensor battery is a top suspect, it isn't the only suspect.

Did you have any tires or wheels replaced or repaired recently?

Foxglove likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Some of the modern tire shops now have a wand they can wave over your TPMS censored wheel reset that sensor if it's live and it'll reconnect to the car without having to plug in a bunch of numbers and codes it is possible to do especially with the lot of the newer TPMS sensors like the ones I just put on the '09 and if not programmed yet I'm going to take it to a buddy of mine shop and he's going to wave his wand across the tires and they're all going to register and the lights going to go out like he does to other Toyota's and then I'll buy that wand that one of these days it's not very expensive like $30 or something and works on most of these later type TPMS sensors which I am installing on my cars just to get the damn light out I don't care about the TPMS system at all I would just like to have the light out I manually check my tires once a week is just a habit I have motorcycles and stuff you only get two on those

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My local Discount Tire even used their wand thingy to re-register all four of my IDs even though I told them straight out I'd already registered the new transmitter I brought.

Didn't hurt anything, except I keep notes on which one's registered as ID1, ID2, ID3, or ID4, so I don't have to guess which tire's having a problem reported, and their wand of course registered the same four IDs but in a different order, so they didn't match my notes until I straightened that out.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had Discount Tire do the same for mine, but they also had to next plug the wand thingy into the OBDII port. Did they do that for you too?

I'm not seeing how it could work on Toyota's TPMS system on these cars without also plugging in to OBDII or some other data port.

#6 fuzzy1, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, step 1 was walk around the car waving the wand thingy, step 2 was plug it in at the OBD-II port, and step 2 was what messed up my notes. :)

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 so 10-yrs is about when my first TPMS battery died. Several sensors lasted 12+ years. I used a trick (fake reading from a spare TPMS) for a couple years to turn off the light and monitor the other 3 tires.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah more for somebody to do I just leave the light on I know my tires are what I set them at because I religiously check them even when the TPMS light is off because I can't help it when you ride motorcycles and things you just tend to do that because you have a lot less tires.