1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Limits Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rustystew, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know much about tires so here is my question. I know I need to increase my tire pressure, but to what extent can I actually do it. I'm pretty confident the tires aren't the original ones as I picked up the car at 83k miles.

Before I started driving today, my tire pressure was 32 on the right and 34 on the left. Yeah, kind of dumb, I didn't do it. Why right/left not front/back? I don't really know, apparently this is how I got it. So after reading several posts prior to this I'd decided I wanted to do 42f/40r. However on the tire sidewall it states very clearly not to exceed 40psi. 42/40 is not something I'd want to do if that limitation is a true limit. Should I just do 38/36 and keep it within that limit, or is that limit really just a suggestion/legal cover-yer-nice person for the tire manufacturer?

On a side note, While I was looking at the tire pressure, I noticed that the plastic in front of my left front tire is basically chopped off and all these electronics are exposed. Is this something of some pretty serious concern? I'm going to be calling my dealer today anyway and need to know if I should bring this up with them.

[​IMG]

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If exceeding the pressure on the tire bothers you, don't do it. Most of the improvement in mileage occurs as you increase pressure for stock to someplace near 40 psi, so whether you run 40/38 or 42/40 psi won't make a difference that you can measure.:rockon: OTOH, I wouldn't hesitate to go 2 psi over.

The difference you found when you first checked your tires are typical. Most people don't give a rats arse how accurate their tire pressure is...if they check it at all. Compound ignorance and apathy and you get a big variation in tire pressure.:eek:

Tire pressure also varies about 1 psi for every 10 degrees of internal tire temperature change. If you have one side of you car parked in the sun for a couple of hours and the other in the shade, the sunny side can easily be 2 or more psi higher.

3. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, I bet the sun exposure to the right side is what did it. It was just so consistent on the right and consistent on the left that I thought it was done that way in a potentially accidentally purposeful way.

My real question though is what does the tire pressure limit actually mean on the tire itself? How hard of a limit is it? I didn't buy these tires, so I don't have a warranty on them or anything, but would it void a warranty on tires if I did have one (because if/when I need to replace them I will be getting a warranty). Does the exceeding the limit mean greatly increased likelihood of a blowout or other tire damage under certain conditions that I'm unaware of? Where does the number come from?

I'm fine with exceeding the number posted on the tire as long as it doesn't mean something I'm unaware of.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    rustystew;
    Most tires have a max. cold setting of 44 lbs. Some less expensive only 40 lbs. Then more expensive have a max. cold setting of 51 lbs.. 40 lbs should be all you need anyway? Are your tires LRR type.[low roll resistance] If not when you replace them , make sure you purchase LRR tires. Makes a big difference with your fuel economy.[ FE ]
    cheers;
    Hal

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pressure on the sidewall is generally the highest safe pressure according to the tire manufacturer, the exception being tires with 35 psi on the sidewall.

Here's a good read for you. CapriRacer is a long time tire engineer and allround good guy.

Automotive tire/wheel engineering - Correct Tire Pressure

6. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look at that post link later today xs650.
    Hal W, I have no idea if I have LRR type tires. My inclination is to say no I don't. I'm assuming I could find that on the sidewall as well? It will be a long while before I purchase new tires though, these have quite a bit on them yet. I'll do my best to remember that though.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you post the exact brand and model of tire here, someone will probably know if it's LRR. You could also look it up on Tirerack.com

8. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yokohama AVID TOURING-S (Standard Touring All-Season) or Yokohama AVID TRZ (Standard Touring All-Season)

One of these I could further confirm, but no need to. Neither are LRR. I aired up to 40f/38r.

9. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That will give you better FE. Hal

10. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That last pic shows a very exposed coolant heat recovery tank... I'd get the plastic replaced before the wheel threw something at something fragile.

11. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BAllanJ, I'm on it. The dealer is ordering the part and is going to patch it up for free since I just got my car Tuesday. Will be fixed next week. Maybe there is a temp fix I can do to protect it in the meantime, but I'm not sure what I could do that would really help. What I guess concerns me the most is that I'm not sure how it happened. I can't tell if it was cut or somehow the tire got jammed up to it and ripped it off with friction (although I would think the damage would be greater if that were the case) But, if the later, then there is something I wasn't told when I was sold this vehicle.

12. rustystew

rustystew New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Airing up from 32/32 to 40/38 or getting LRR tires? I guess the answer is really both. Is there a discussion on how much the LRR tires will help anywhere?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the front bumper hit something in the past, which damaged the LF wheel well lining, and that lining was not replaced when the car's accident damage was repaired.

Look for evidence that the bumper cover was repainted.

14. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Airing up to 40. Hal

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try black duct tape.