1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Monitor, where is the sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Dec 9, 2005.

1. minime

minime New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I talked to a Toyota Prius mechanic a few days ago and as a few have mentioned previously in this thread, the sensor sits inside the wheel and inside the tire and is attached to or part of the value stem.

So, when changing tires (like putting snows on) you should tell the person changing the tires that they have a tire pressure sensor in them and be careful not to break them.

2. Jim06

Jim06 Member

Feedback from my dealer:

Some customers do purchase an additional set of sensors for snow wheels. The price is between $200 and $300 per wheel.

This dealer charges $45 total for all 4 wheels when moving the sensors from wheel to wheel.

Most people do without, and leave the sensors on their summer wheels. The low pressure warning light will be on all the time, but no harm is done to car or system.

-Jim

3. RonM

RonM New Member

This is incorrect, per the technical documentation on TechInfo. Each tire of the '06 Prius has an individual pressure sensor that communicates wirelessly back to the ECU that controls it.

I don't recall the document I read specifically saying whether it was in the valve stems or mounted separately on the wheel itself. I'll need to check.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yikes. Let's hope that if one goes, it's during the warranty period.

$45 is quite manageable. I'll ask my dealership to see what they charge. Honestly I'd rather have Toyota do it than a 3rd party.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Ummm, did you miss that past two and a half pages? We already sorted this all out. Read the whole thread and you'll answer your own question without checking anything...

6. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so how sensitve is the tire presure thing? will it tell me when I'm at 38 psi when I want 42 psi?

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, the only thing you'll see is a warning light on your dash if a tire's pressure drops a certain amount. Don't know what the threshold is though.

Now if you get the CAN-VIEW, you should be able to see the individual tire pressures, but don't know about the resolution. Probably 1 psi increments.

It would interesting to watch the CAN data to see how much and how fast tire pressures increase during normal driving.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've said it before and i'll say it again. yeah. you're right. i stand corrected. no need to continue to pound it in, i feel dumb enough for assuming it was the same as the old pattern.

:rolleyes:

9. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just put my winter tires on my daughter's new Prius... and new sensors are $106 each. This is an all time record according to the tire dealer. The similar sensors for other cars range from $18 up to about $90. I just did this for our family Jeep... and those were $45 each.

With two new Prius's... this is going to be about $850 just for the sensors! The other bad news... Toyota is totally out of stock and they are on a company wide backorder. For now, we took the sensors out of my daughter's summer wheels, and installed them on the winter wheels. Hopefully, by the time spring gets here, the backorders will be filled.

I am dissapointed that they just use the idiot light to tell you that one of the tires is low. This is the same as my wifes BMW. By contrast... our Jeep's display shows a picture of a car... with a two digit tire pressure value next to each wheel. That is far superior. Still... the idiot light is better than no sensor system at all.

/Jim

1 person likes this.