1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure monitoring sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by treehggr, Jul 7, 2007.

1. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sure this was asked before but I had no luck in finding a thread. So what is involved in moving these sensors to a new wheel? Do you need to do this before mounting and balancing or after? I know nothing about these and any help would be great.

Thanks, Brandon

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jul 7 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]474755[/snapback]</div>
    The sensors must be removed from the old wheel and mounted to the new wheel. Transfer of the sensors needs to be done before mounting tires to the new wheel. The new wheel with sensor and tire should be balanced as a unit.

3. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok thanks. I was going to order my wheels and tires from tirerack but didn't know whether or not to buy them pre mounted and balanced.

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jul 7 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]474769[/snapback]</div>
    You better make sure the new wheels will accommodate the pressure sensors. They are larger than normal valve stems and will not mount correctly in some wheels.
    Previous Post

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Jul 7 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]474769[/snapback]</div>
    That is an interesting decision. Ordering a complete package from Tirerack gets you a turn-key road-force balanced package. The only thing that needs to be done when the wheels/tires/sensors arrive from Tirerack is to program the sensors to the TPMS computer.

jrfaris makes a point about fit of the TPMS sensors to the wheel, which is yet another reason to order a complete package from Tirerack.

Personally, I went that route (had Tirerack do everything).