1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure on our 1 month-old Prius was 30/30!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drw, Jul 22, 2007.

1. drw

drw Junior Member

I have had my brand new Mag Grey Prius for about a month and we are loving it (will post about that later).

Anyway, when I bought the car, I instructed the dealer to raise the tire pressure to 38/36- was going to try that out, and then probably raise it to at least 40/38. I made the mistake of assuming the dealer would do as I had asked, so I didn't check the pressure. And, unfortunately, I have not checked it until today, about a month after buying (I know, I know, I should have checked!).

So today I check it and was shocked to find that all 4 tires were right around 30-31 psi- I even went out and bought a better tire gauge to double check it, and again it was the same. I cannot believe I have been driving around for a month with that low of a tire pressure.

At first, I thought maybe the dealer raised the pressure as I asked, and I just had a leak, but I just can't believe I have had that much leakage out of all 4 tires in one month. Also figured that the TPMS warning would have come on, but I guess it would have had to have dropped into the 20's for that to happen..

So I guess it is one of two things: either the dealer accidentally lowered, instead of raised, the pressure, or they didn't do anything and that is the way the tires came from the factory. .

Does anyone know what the usual tire pressure is from the factory, before anyone changes it??

Today I increased the pressure back to where I originally wanted it, and reset the tire pressure system, and I am hoping to see some improved MPG- but the strange thing is, even with the low tire pressure, we are averaging 50 MPG so far and we have about 1,600 miles on the car- really surprised we are getting that good of MPG with the tire pressure so low. I have learned my lesson and will definitely be checking the tire pressure at least weekly from here on out........

Will post some of our impressions of the car so far in another post............

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    'nough said. :)

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took mine into the dealer to check the alignment, they noted that the pressure was 40 psi (it was actually 38/36 cold) and they set it to 32psi. Yep, I checked it and they set it to 32 psi all around.

The sticker on the door frame calls for 35 front, 33 rear if you have the standard (non-touring) tires. Many people (including myself) run higher pressure for better mileage/tire life. Reportedly, the outer edges will wear first at the Toyota specified pressure (underinflated).

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I took mine in to the dealer for an alignment at 2500 miles, they suprised me and had set the tire pressuse at 40 psi front and back. I have been running 40/38. I guess some of them are getting the message.

IMHO all new Priis should have the alignment checked, mine was off.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Jul 23 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]483571[/snapback]</div>
    Especially if you notice a pull or other handling problems. I'm still trying to get mine sorted out. I'm hoping that shimming the rear will get the toe in spec.