1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Reading

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Nenepopz, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Nenepopz

Nenepopz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question - Is there any way to visibly see the Tire pressure reading for each tire? I'm so shocked that Toyota has not yet made this feature commonplace in new vehicles, or if I just can't seem to find this on my 2020 Prime? I can find it manually with my digital reader, but for a new vehicle just wasn't sure if I have it already. My other car, the 2020 Lexus RC has the reading right on their app for constant reading? I just don't know if I need to go under a certain menu or if Prime just doesn't have that available at all or just not right now?

douglasjre likes this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I “believe” Carista tells you four pressures but not how each temp maps to location of vehicle.

Nenepopz likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it assigns an ID to each temp reading, you could drop the pressure in one tire, see which ID drops, then repeat 2 more times with other tires to sort out who's who.

Lot of work though, and you need to keep track of tire rotations. Yeah I know a family member's Pilot had a pictorial showing the car and tires, indicated which corner was low, with the tpms sensors.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My son's 2008 Highlander hybrid has a graphic showing the pressure in each tire. But for some reason that noone has been able to fathom, this information is not displayed on any Prius. The information is available (as with the Carista app), but just not externalized on any display.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately no TPMS data display is available on the PRIME, by itself that is. If you want, you can use various tools that connects to ECU via OBDII to read out the TPMS sensor data. Techstream, Scan Gauge II, various OBDII apps like Carista, Tire Assistant or alike with compatible dongle will do the job. Also most of handheld TPMS scan tools like Autel will also work. But the cheapest would be just to use a manual tire pressure gauge.

AldoON and Nenepopz like this.
  6. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As mentioned, Toyota for some unknown reason doesn't support that feature.

You can buy something like this dash mounted TPMS from Amazon for about ~$30 dollars, they work quite well.

Rob43

thumbnail_-_Edited - Edited.jpg

Randi, Nenepopz and kenoarto like this.
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got one of these three weeks ago. So far so good.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Rob43 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm idly curious, with systems that do show tire pressure, or just warn that one is flat, AND indicate location, how does it figure out the location.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you asking about external TPMS like Rob is showing? If so, the sensor is labeled with the location of the tire. The radio signal from each sensor is fixed on the display unit.

And if you are asking about OEM TPMS with display on dash. At least for those Japanese cars that requires ECU programing, you do the programing in the order of ID that corresponds to the location of the display. This ensures the sensor data match the displayed location. I assume, for those cars with automatic detection feature, the location of radio signal must be distinguishable maybe with a directional receiver?

#9 Salamander_King, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I'm thinking something like that last sentence. I mean wheels get rotated, the individual sensors could be at any corner of the car.

I have the shop manual for 2010 Pilot, which I noticed has that feature. I'll maybe take a look.

11. AtkinsonCycle

AtkinsonCycle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's funny... several years ago, I owned a 2006 Mazda Speed 6. It was AWD, turbocharged, handled great! It had a derived TPMS system. It used the wheel speed sensors and angle sensor on the steering that calculated what each wheel should be rotating at. If the measured and calculated values didn't match, it would indicate a tire pressure problem. I never had problems with it, no TPMS sensors to go bad, for some reason, manufacturers didn't stay with the system. I have often wondered how the system keeps track of where each wheel is, especially when you rotate wheels and tires from front to back. I know there is a button that tells the car the tires have been rotated down under the dash, and I wondered if pressing this just moves the wheel positions in the ECU according to the recommended maintenance rotation scheme to keep track of where wheels are virtually (in the ECU) and match them with actual position. It would seem that pinging each sensor and somehow knowing (maybe signal strength or time to send receive) where each sensor is physically would be best, but I don't know.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least for our Nissan with TPMS display, there is no mentioning of TPMS reprograming procedure after tire rotation. In my case, I do tire rotation at the time of winter tire change, so TPMS reprogramming is necessary. I don't know what happens if I rotate tires without TPMS re-programing on our Nissan. Humm, that's something I can experiment.

Indirect TPMS systems are back in some Honda models. All Civic, Accord, Clarity are with indirect TPMS. It works fine as a substitute for the dumb direct TPMS system without data display. The problem with indirect TPMS is that car has to be in motion to detect the lower pressure tire, and also in a very rare instance when two tires on the same axle lose the same amount of air, the indirect TPMS can not detect the lower pressure.

#12 Salamander_King, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Nenepopz and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The new one I have (shown in picture) also allows me to digitally relabel the location of each of the four sensors. FWIW: Probably just gonna screw the cap-sensors off and move them at each rotation.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#13 kenoarto, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah: if the valve cap is the sensor, very easy to get the locations established on the display.

kenoarto likes this.
  15. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How much do those external sensors and batteries weigh? What do they do to tire balancing? Significant? Negligible?

kenoarto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Less than 10g each. Yeah, it would be off balance, but I have no idea how and what it affects. For one thing, when I was having winter and summer tires on the same rims, tire shop did the swap for free, but no re-balancing. I never had problem I was aware.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    10 grams is about a third of an ounce.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Each stick-on weight is a quarter of an ounce, the TireRack site says. So, if you worry about unbalanced wheel and tire by putting on the external TPMS sensor on the valve stem, just stick 1 or 2 stick-on weights on the direct opposite side of the valve stem.

#19 Salamander_King, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Trollbait likes this.
  20. Nenepopz

Nenepopz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much I will look into that!

benagi likes this.