1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Sensor not working properly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cibelly Aguiar, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Cibelly Aguiar

Cibelly Aguiar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

A couple weeks ago, I sent my 2007 Prius to the mechanics because the "check engine", "maintenance required" and "TPMS" lights were on. They fixed all of them and the car was working normally. However, I live in Boston, and we had a really strong snow storm a couples days after the maintenance, so the TPMS light was turned on, I took it to a gas station and filled the tires, but the light kept itself on, I tried resetting it, it doesn't stop blinking. I read that the weather influences a lot the sensor. Should I be concerned about it?

Thank you!

scona likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Considering the age of the car, it's around the time the batteries on the sensors start failing. The batteries are not replaceable: you either have to replace the whole sensor, or just do nothing: the valve is still functional.

fuzzy1, valde3, srellim234 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cibelly Aguiar

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a sensor online, but I'm not sure if that's it. Because it costs like 37 bucks.
    Thank you

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can find it on Amazon, they have function that'll verify compatiblity with a particular vehicle. Or check on McGeorge Toyota site (for example): they will have the Toyota part, and have good prices.

Wheels for 2007 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Keep in mind: you CAN do nothing, and the tire will continue to hold air and so on. The only issue is the light on the dash. There's a possiblity that might cause you to fail an inspection, but varies by States. Google "Tirerack states that require tpms".

Also, if one fails, the others are likely to fail soon too.

Also, dealership will need to introduce any new sensors to the car, they're not plug-and-play.

Cibelly Aguiar likes this.
  5. Cibelly Aguiar

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for the tips! I don't think I will change the sensors, my state doesn't need the sensor to be working properly. Do you know if the cold has anything to do with the functions of the sensor? Thank you

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure. Cold will drop the tire pressure, but if you've checked that, topped them up and are still getting the light, I'm stumped. Again, my guess would the sensor battery going.

Yeah, with the price of sensors, that's the route I would go, at least till the next time you're replacing tires. Maybe for good, lol. Unfortunately, tires shops may be required to replace the sensors. Cross that bridge when you get to it I guess.

Cibelly Aguiar likes this.