1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Sensor Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by peach, Dec 27, 2006.

1. peach

peach New Member

I have a small problem with my tire pressure sensor (or my tires).

The tire pressure sensor has been coming on fairly frequently, usually once a week or so. Is this too frequent?

Also, when I fill the pressure, only one of the tires needs to be filled. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peach @ Dec 27 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]367308[/snapback]</div>
    1. Yes.
    2. You've just identified the leaking tire.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Pinto Girl is right. Sounds like you may have a nail in that tire's tread. Careful WHERE you have it repaired. An inexperienced tire shop may not take care of the sensors [on the inside of your wheels at the base of the valve stem]. If a tire shop should damage one requiring replacement, the new sensor would have to be programmed into the Prius computer by a Toyota dealer to be recognized. I'd be inclined to see if your Toyota dealer can repair the tire for you if it needs repair to be assured that they would know to be careful of the sensor.

Another thought... Be sure to inflate to your preferred pressures in all four tires, then hold down the TPMS button [below the steering column] for at least 10 seconds to set the system to your preferred pressures. I'm sure you are aware that the panel warning light always comes on when you first start up for a few seconds. Your Owner's Manual contains information on this system which can help you understand how it works.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. steve10b

steve10b New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 27 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]367315[/snapback]</div>

I've had the exact same problem, except the dealer keeps telling me there is no leak. This started after my first tire rotation. I have a 2006, a little over a year now, with 22,000 miles. I hesitate to take it to the local tire store for fear they might damage the TPMS. But the dealer has told me twice now that he can find no leak in the tire. He acts like I don't know how to check tire pressure. I'm getting tired of arguing with him. It's a slow leak about 2 - 3 lbs a week. Could the TPMS stem be causing a slow leak? I asked the dealer this and he said no way, but I don't understand how it works and don't trust him.

Any Suggestions

Steve in Michigan

6. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I deal with leaking tires every week at work. If leak rate is 2 or 3 PSI per week then I would look at the fill valve and not something in the tire. Reason: anything in the tread of the tire would work around as the tire rolled and the hole would open up and the weak rate would become faster.

Fill valves sometime need to be tighten after time in service.

Quick test: Take a small new paint brush, liquid dish soap about 1oz., mix with about 1 cup of water.
    remove the valve cap, dip brush in the mix and paint the valve stem with it. If you see bubbles coming out of some spot, wipe it down and repeat, still have bubbles, wipe it down and mark with felt tip marker if it the wheel or mark with chalk if the leak is in the tire.

If you have a digital camera you might want to take a photo or two of it as the bubbles are coming out.

Next take the tire and photo and paperwork from your past visits back to the shop ask for the manager, ask him or her to fix it please! If its a toyota dealership, in a nice voice with a smile, tell them your next point of contact will be with Toyota headquarters.

7. steve10b

steve10b New Member

Good suggestion.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    Steve

8. steve10b

steve10b New Member

I'm still having trouble with this tire. The dealer submerged in a testing tank and couldn't find anything. Could the pressure sensor be at fault. If the pressure is read wirelessly via the valve cover though, I dont see how? Any new suggestions?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve10b @ Feb 11 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]388570[/snapback]</div>