1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Iamjo20, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 Prius--with 19,000 miles. The tire pressure sensor went on--I checked all of the tires-one was low and I added air. The sensor light did NOT go off? Am I not doing something correctly, or could there be a malfunction in the sensors?

Thank you!

JO

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If all the tires are properly inflated, then just drive it a few miles and it'll go off

SM-N900P ?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2008 with 19K on the clock? Wow, talk about low mileage.

Anyway, try resetting the tpms, push the button at the base of the steering column.

If that doesn't work, have all four sensors checked. A good tire shop can do this for you. You may find a weak battery in one of the sensors. That will probably require a replacement of the unit as the battery is not accessible IIRC.

Hope this helps. Very impressed with the 19,000 miles on your car.

4. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

OK--I will try this n the am--and let you know! THANK you for responding! :)

Oh-- will have not reset the TPMS---do I do that with the car turned on--sorry,,have never done that before--the lats time this happened, I simply added air t the tires and all was good--

And thank you for the idea about going to a good tire shop to check this out. (as opposed to a dealership)

And the low mileage--yes, but as it approached 20,ooo--I seem to be getting nervous--wonder if i need to purchase a new extended warranty, as mine recently ran out----really love the car; was also waiting to look at the newly designed one for 2016! Thank --will get back to ya! :)

Jo

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check the spare also.

iPhone ?

6. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    will do --thanks!

I tried all which was suggested--nothing worked; had a repair shop/tire place--check--the Tire Monitoring System had to re-learn how to work--they had to hook up a computer to the car and drive it for the TPMS to work again--they stated that if this happened again, that I needed to take it into the Toyota dealer to have the module replaced--anyone else have this experience?

Thank you all who posted!

7. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Batteries in a sensor?

AT100 ? HD

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not every tire shop is equipped properly with trained staff to handle work such as what you need. Consider visiting more than one location and or chain (Discount Tire, NTB, Pep Boys) etc. and ask them specifically if they can diagnose a TPMS system on a Prius as well as furnish, replace, and program the Prius to make the sensors work properly.

Normally what is done is a computer is used to communicate with the Prius. In doing so, it registers the code found on each sensor within the tire. Anytime a sensor goes bad and needs to be replaced, the codes in the Prius have to be adjusted for the system to work properly.

It boils down to whether the shop has the sensors for your car, the computer to hook up to the Prius, and the knowledge to use the equipment properly. Pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

You will find it will be cheaper to have a tire shop do that kind of work instead of the dealer.

Ron (dorunron)

scoffee and Iamjo20 like this.
  9. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah learnt something from TPMS.
    Thanks.
    BTW, I got a aftermarket set. Four sensors attached to the nib externally. Each one transmits signal to the receiving small panel stick inside the car to read each tire pressure individually. Quite reliable.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This will make the light bulb turn on "ahmeow" Look at the following picture. Notice the "Registered ID Code's" That is the codes that are registered on that vehicle at the time "Techstream" viewed the system. The codes are found on the each sensor and are registered with software and a computer or hand held OBD device that can communicate with the TPMS on the vehicle.

design-13.jpg

tomw likes this.
  11. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Thanks!!!

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, if you find the information I post is helpful and informative, clicking the Like in the lower right hand corner would be appreciated.

Best of luck to you, and I am glad that you seem to appreciate the info I shared.

Ron (dorunron)

Iamjo20 likes this.
  13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How expensive are the OEM tire stems needed with new tires? And can you get them anywhere else but the dealer?