1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Catskillguy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, the answer i got for the second set of rims question is this.

-if there is a main/2nd button, it would be in the glovebox. from what i'm reading, there is no switch.
    -this means you'd have to recalibrate every time you switch rims.
    -it would be much, MUCH cheaper then to have your tires changed over twice a year instead.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, for those of you who have the 06, I was reading through the manual and it revealed alot.....
    Starting page 150, I will point out some highlights

1. there is indeed a tire valve warning transmitter system in each tire "except the spare". TPMS "Tire Pressure Warning System"
    When the sensor alarm goes off resetting the reset button will not turn off the alarm... only fixing the problem "reinflating the tire" will turn off the alarm.

2. If a tire goes flat, the warning light will not turn off even though the spare is put on.
    3. Do Not use liquid sealants "like fix a flat" and the valve transmitter will be damaged.
    4. When tires must be repaired or replaced, have them repaired or replaced by Toyota.
    5. If the tire inflation pressure is 7.3 psi or more higher than the specified level, then system will be disabled.
    6. the ID code on the pressure transmitters must be registered with the computer. "ECU"
    7. The reset button is to be pressed after all the pressures are set.
    8. Standard pressures are Front: 35psi, Rear: 33psi, Spare 60psi
    Based on this "at least the way I interpret it" if you want this to stay functional, you cannot add more than 7.3 psi tot this without disarming it.
    Based on that.. the most you would want it 42 psi for front and 40 psi for rear.
    thats what most people like anyway.

one problem I see is that if you set them when the tires are cold, once the tires heat up, they may go over?.... well have to experiement.

There are 5 pages of stuff on this!

In answer to some of my earlier questions.. it sounds like if you do something that causes it to disarm "like remove them or change tires etc" you will disable the tire warning system and you will see a light blinking (comes on after blinking for one minute) and then will stay on. this means it is disarmed.

3. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish I found this thread before purchasing winter tires/rims off tirerack :(

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I'm still not clear yet whether what you've done is a curse ..... there is a pretty good discussion going on here that seems to have more action going on.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...=0&#entry198417

5. Walter Veselka

Walter Veselka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Possible means of setting code for TPMS (initializing the system); or least put it into a long reset mode.

If TPM warning light is illuminated such as after replacing OEM wheels with a different set: 1) Press Power button twice with foot off Brake; 2) Press and hold the TPM reset button. It will flash once/second for approximately 1 minute and then do a slow flash (2-3 seconds) three times and then flash once/second for approximately another 1 minute and then the TPM warning light will go out; 3) Release the TPM reset button; and 4) Power down the vehicle.

If you then power up the vehicle into the Ready mode the light will go through its normal 2-3 second check period and then turn off and remain extinguished. (At least for a period; only drove for about 30 minutes...will see tomorrow as I commute to work)

Being in the northeast I put a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on my OEM rims to go through my second winter. Ordered a set of wheels (Enkei RS-M [13.5# each for 16x7]) and tires (Continental ContiProContact 205/55HR-16) mounted with TPM sensors from TireRack.

Read through the threads regarding the TPMS and need to have Toyota put in the sensor codes for 2006 models and was prepared to pay for the service visit. After installation of my new tire/wheel set the tire pressure warning light operated normally and did not light to signify a fault; thought maybe Toyota allowed the system to automatically initialize for 2007 models. Unfortunately after about 2.5 hours of driving the TPM warning light began to blink and stay on when I powered up the vehicle. After trying several things I found the sequence listed above may have either initilazed my new sensors or put me back into a long reset mode. Will see how things go as I commute to work this week.

6. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I too bought a whole set of TPMS from Toyota several months ago for my snow tires. Unfortunately, I would have to go to the dealer everytime I switched off my tires to have them reprogram my TPMS into the ECU.

I pretty much got used to the fact, that whenever I put on my snow tires, that I would have the warning light go on. To solve this annoying problem, I customized a dime sized disk made of black electrical tape and I strategically covered the light on the dash. VOILA! no more annoying light! A $400 solution! (i.e, I'm still stuck with a set of TPMS on my snow tires that don't even register). :D

Vince.

7. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem that anyone has posted something about just throwing on a set of rims without the tire pressure sensors.
    What could it possibly mess up? Yes, the system would no longer work. But have we lost sight of a simple pencil gage to check air pressure? The GPS system requires this system? I wouldn't think so. Speed and position are figured out by a triple over lap of satellite signals.
    If the Prius rims (wheels) are that specific to the car, wouldn't they become a high theft item? The valve stem has part of sensor in it, does this part unscrew with the valve cap? Does the Prius wheel require special valve stems when they are replaced? This would almost mandate a set of wheel locks for every Prius owner. (I hate them, having had them on my Maxima and having to change tires in the bitter cold, but if they'd save my rims from getting stolen, I'd put them on. It's a cheap investment.)
    I'd say that the system has to be set while the tires are cold. Setting the system while the tires are hot, would more than likely set the system off when they cool off as it would detect a loss of air pressure. Seven plus pounds are/is a lot of lee-way when it comes to tire pressure.
    Dam, now I'm confused and guessing I can't just put any old rims with mounted snow tires on my Prius?
    Can the Tire Pressure System be over ridden? Can it be shut off altogether?