1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure - tire wear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Oddfodder, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Clink clank clunk.... I sure heard the suspension, and he or she was not happy. :eek: Now it feels like I'm riding in someone's Lexus.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My decision to go by manufacturer vehicle recommendation wasn't really based on concern about the tires themselves wearing out significantly faster but more about concern it being tougher on the suspension, possibly reducing braking. I keep the Honda Fit inflated to the manufacturer recommended PSI, it's just the philosophy I've decided to embrace.
    But when I owned my Prius, I felt it was even more important. With ABS regenerative braking, and a suspension system that IMO is very urban driving based, I thought harder tires just wasn't wise.

When I first got my Prius, I did experiment a bit. I never really found that increased PSI really resulted in MPG gains that seemed worth it to me.
    I did feel the vehicle rode harsher, and was more apt to skid.
    That just didn't seem good to me.

quantumy, Starship16 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I see, most people here just talk about how they feel about the issue. I the industry I work for, everything is about evidence based. Looks like this thread is one big waste of time.

bisco likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, here is a paper on effect of under inflated tires on suspension.

The influence of vehicle tyres pressure on the suspension system response by applying the time-frequency approach - IEEE Conference Publication
    The results show that, when the tires were under-inflated by approximately 35 percent, it was significantly increased the vibration of the car body by up to 30 percent.​

I did not want to pay $33 just to read the entire paper, so I read abstract only. I don't know if the paper discuss effect of OVER inflated tires on car's suspension or not.

EDIT: Found a copy of full article PDF for those who care to read entire paper. Does not seem to mention anything about the influence of OVER inflation of tires on suspension system.
    http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/18552/1/icacinfluence.pdf

#24 Salamander_King, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    quantumy likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to weigh the consequences. For example, I'd be fine with hearsay and rumour, for the consequences of smoking, not using seat belts, asbestos removal, stuff like that.

Here's what I've got:

1. Toyota spec's a certain pressure. I'm ok with that suspect it's somewhat a compromise, maybe weighted a bit in favour of a cushier ride and suspension longevity.
    2. Tires do get firmer, less able to deflect over speed bumps and pot holes, as you raise pressures.
    3. My tires invariably hit ten years before they get even close to minimum tread depth.
    4. Bearings and suspension components do not come cheap, and they can be royally rusted, hard to deal with.

#25 Mendel Leisk, Aug 27, 2018
    The Electric Me and Starship16 like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    (n) (n) (n) Three thumbs down for that dude.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is another paper I found by searching on-line, showing relationship between Tire Pressures on Vibrational Transmissibility in Cars. Not surprisingly, they concluded:

Vibrational transmissibility will continue decreasing as pressure is reduced
    https://avestia.com/ICMEM2014_Proceedings/papers/145.pdf

And another paper concluding similarly:
    Shock-absorbers efficiency decreases with increasing the inflation pressure in tyres.
    http://archiwummotoryzacji.pl/images/AM/vol64/64_KEMZURAITE_27-36_en.pdf

They are direct opposite conclusion of the paper I cited on #24. So, maybe there is no universal answer to this question of relationship between tire pressure and car suspension function at this time. It all depends on what car and tires and driving conditions, as well as how they are being measured.

#27 Salamander_King, Aug 27, 2018
    Mendel Leisk and Starship16 like this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the manufacturers recommendations as the minimum tire pressure. I don't ever remember people saying they run less than the manufacturers recommendation.

Starship16 likes this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I only know what I feel.... and hear. And my Prius definitely has a better & smoother ride when I reduced the pressure back to factory specs. No more groans from the suspension. And gas mileage has not been affected. It's win-win.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can figure out, in general, there seems to be more of concern about UNDER inflated tires on the road than OVER inflated ones, maybe because of suspected safety issues?

That said, yeah, I run mine always a few pound higher than recommended. I like to make it bit higher so I have a room for loosing some air over time before next tire pressure check.

#30 Salamander_King, Aug 27, 2018
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same here, 2~3 pounds at most over.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well because this was the question as first posed.....

....I really didn't feel I needed a double blind scientific study to defend my opinion.

Besides, in the automotive world, in the realm of maintenance, and often operational minutia, a lot becomes peoples adopted rituals. And IMO most of them are based on perceived personal experience, and perceived personal results.

I've also been in threads centered around this issue enough times to know, that my opinion isn't really going to sway anyone convinced exceeding the recommended PSI is the way to go. They will still do it.

The Michelin Man could show up with blood shot eyes, a 3 day growth of beard and say "Man...don't inflate above the Manufacturers Recommendation"...and those that perceive benefit? Would still do it.

And finally, since my recommendation...or "thoughts on this" pretty much boil down to ....I recommend doing what the manufacturer recommends and what is actually printed and attached to the vehicle, I feel my thoughts and feelings on this, do come from at least a Toyota the Manufacturers- supported truth. It's not JUST my random thoughts and feelings...you could say, it's based on reading the owners manual.

13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder what a Prius feels like, and sounds like, with 50 or 60 psi??? Some guys do that.

#33 Starship16, Aug 27, 2018
  14. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I run 45psi front and 40 rear. Doesn't feel overly harsh, doesn't skid or squeal. Ran same set up on my GenII.

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Dude, I'm talking about 50 or 60 psi that some of these guys run. :eek:

I like what that guy said. (y) :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My most recent mileage:

That's with reduced tire pressure back down to factory specs. (Nice smooth ride)
    AC on constantly.
    Driving briskly in PWR mode.
    And Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic oil.

Hand calculated, it came out to 56 mpg by the time I filled up. I am more than satisfied with those numbers. I don't care if anyone else is getting 65 or 70 miles per gallon. :LOL: I'm good! No worries, mate!

IMG_1220.jpg

Oddfodder likes this.
  17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think your car is broke. :(

18. Oddfodder

Oddfodder New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This thread has been really interesting - somehow I wasn't getting notifications about new posts to it so I'm glad I checked back.

I've now been running my gen lll at 44/42 f/b and on my current tank am averaging 56.25 MPG. I feel like the ride is very comfortable - no noise, no skidding, basically I feel like a king every time I drive my prius.

According to the gen lll manual I downloaded online (can't be bothered to go out to my car and check the one that came with it), my 17" tires should be inflated to 33/32 f/b. So I am fairly over-inflated using those numbers as a baseline. The manual also states:
    "Tire inflation pressure
    (Recommended cold tire
    inflation pressure)"

That kinda piqued my interest - I usually check my tire pressure when I fill up the tank and this is invariably after driving a bit. I don't currently have the means to add more air at home so always do so at the gas station. Even if I would go directly from home and drive the 1 mile or a little less to the gas station, I assume that the tires are no longer cold. So how does this - hot vs. cold - affect the pressure? I can check at home when the car is cold and see what it reads, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts (yes, personal thoughts absolutely ok with me!!! :)).

Fwiw, I agree with:
    I totally get the logic of ensuring that you don't go under the recommended levels, as this seems to be the most problematic thing in terms of safety.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17 inch tires on Gen3 and getting averaging 56.25 MPG is excellent. My Gen3 with stock 15 inch tires got ~52 mpg lifetime despite short. I only drove 2.5 years. As you know tire pressure changes with temperature. Both ambient temperature increase and temperature rise caused by friction of driving on them increases the internal pressure. I recently installed external TPMS that shows both tire air temperature and pressure real time while driving. In my experience both ambient temperature changes and frictional temperature increase of 10-20F cause 3-4 psi increase. Of course, frictional temperature increase will depend on how hard you drive and what surface you are driving on.

#39 Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced and Oddfodder like this.
  20. Oddfodder

Oddfodder New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting, thanks. So with that in mind it seems that if I check the tire pressure when the tires are hot after driving (when the outside temperature itself is not unduly cold), I can assume that the numbers I get are 3-4 psi. above what they would be if the tires were cold.