1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure - tire wear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Oddfodder, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3-4 psi increase is what I get after my normal commute of 19 miles drive with gentle braking and acceleration on rural highway with chip seal surface. Internal tire air temperature rises 10-20F for this drive. If you are talking 1 mile drive to gas station, there should not be much change in temperature thus not much changes in psi. BTW, if you do topping off air in your tire often enough, investing in portable air compressor maybe worth thinking about. Cheap ones are only ~$10, but I would recommend getting more powerful one for quick fill. I use ViAir 70P (only $32 at amazon). 70P Portable Compressor | VIAIR One thing about ViAir P70 is that it is small and least expensive model of portable compressor in ViAIr line-up, but it is still very powerful for regular passenger car tires. It draws 15A, but comes only with cigarette lighter plug. If you use it on Prius (or many other passenger cars), it will blow fuse (only 10A). You do need to get alligator clip extension to cigarette lighter plug so that you can directly connect to 12V battery.

#41 Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Oddfodder likes this.
  2. Oddfodder

Oddfodder New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I appreciate the info, will look into the portable compressor.

3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are welcome. I didn't realize you are in Germany. I am not sure ViAir model is sold there, but there should be similar ones there I am sure.

Oddfodder likes this.
  4. Oddfodder

Oddfodder New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably won't be an issue - we can get most things through Amazon, although shipping could be prohibitive. I'm actually flying into Logan on the weekend as I have family in the area. maybe I check it out while there.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Oddfodder, if you over-inflate a bit when at the gas station, then you can adjust the pressures downwards, first thing in the morning at home. I would recommend to always do that, and have a simple/accurate gauge you always use.

With 215/45R17 tires, using 42/40 (front/rear) is a very firm ride. I did that for the first few months, perhaps a year, with our 2010 Touring (similar tires), but then with some reading, thinking, experimentation, settled on 36 psi (for all four, for simplicity) as a max. I'll let it slip lower, down to say 33 before making any adjustment.

A concern I have, beyond ride comfort, is that low profile tires (like the 17's on Prius) and high pressures, may wear out the car's shocks and bearings prematurely. Even at recommended pressures the tires are quite firm, and I think tire flexing is part of the car's suspension system, takes some of the shock when the car goes over speed bumps or pot holes. I slow to a dead-crawl over speed bumps, hate them...

I used to add air at gas station; here Chevron still has free air. But I found in recent years at several stations, it seemed like their air was barely strong enough to raise pressures. During the same time I acquired a simple/basic floor-standing bicycle pump, very simple. It has some kwirks, but I've learned the best methods for using it. It's designed for bicycle tires, and though somewhat labourious, is very simple and effective with car tires. I've even brought car tires back up to pressure after having a flat tire and plug-repairing them.

#45 Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2018
    fuzzy1 and Oddfodder like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just remind folks to be sure to select a regular sized floor-standing bicycle pump.

Small diameter pumps for higher pressure bike tires will need too many strokes for a car tire. The lower pressure / higher volume pumps may require too much pumping force for smaller or less able-bodied people, though stronger folks might well prefer the quicker results.

I live just three blocks from the nearest gas station, yet still find the bike pump quicker and easier. I do have a 12V pump too, but counting the time needed to tightly coil the cord and hose back into their tight stowage spaces, the manual bike pump is still quicker and easier.

Lightning Racer and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the pump I'm using is just a cheapy, but conventional size, not compact. If it ever fails I see some nice ones for around $40~60 at local bike specialty stores. Maybe I'm a closet survivalist, but simple, manual power often wins the race, especially with the convenience factor.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you can use one of those I often use on my car. No coil of cord, no long hose. You just need charged battery. It's got be easier than bike pump, IMO. and at $20 maybe cheaper than bike pump. (battery not included!) :D
    Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Cordless Power Inflator (Tool-Only)-P737 - The Home Depot

#48 Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2018
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At least you mentioned no battery. Battery cost more than the pump itself, and that's w/o buying the charger for it also.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's true. But with Ryobi ONE+, Home Depot has sale on kits all the time. It is cheaper to buy tools with charger and battery as set. I have multiple kits with multiple batteries and chargers. Two impact wrenches, two flashlights, two shop vacs, one each in car or garage, and other one at home or office. ;)

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After all that, probably $300 would be the price. Some will rather stick to a $20 bike pump in their apt.

fuzzy1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whaaaat, you mean you don't need a cordless drill and/or rechargeable flashlight if you live in apt. I can't live without them. :LOL:

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    $20 cordless drill + $10 usb battery charger w/flash light combo = $30

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I can live with that. ;) But since I also needed cordless circular saw and brad nailer and reciprocating saw, I was served better with ONE+ kits.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't get these battery powered everything; think they're a scourge. They're taking over in our local hardware flyers, oh well: we progress.

HPrimeAdvanced and fuzzy1 like this.
  16. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is the one I keep in the back of my car from Harbor Freight. I got it with one of their 20% off coupons so it cost me around $28.
    Works great and is a high volume unit so it will fill pretty quickly.

12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... A fully serviceable bike pump at Walmart is no more than $20. The slightly shorter one staying in my car fulltime was $10 on sale, though it is less robust and now needs an added retaining screw. A project for this weekend.
    What good is it without the battery? Besides as a fishing line sinker, of course. :D

And if I throw it under the trunk floor with the spare tire, how many years will the battery hold a usable charge? :rolleyes:

#57 fuzzy1, Oct 5, 2018
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first electric screwdriver has been through two generations of batteries, and is once again a fishing line sinker until I can find a third round. With Sears going under, I'm not yet sure any are left. Dad has a newer electric screwdriver/drill, and its first round of batteries are also nearing the end of their life.

Meanwhile, my manual screwdrivers a decade older are still working just fine. As are dad's. And step-granddad's too, 56 years after he passed.

Even my grandpa's electric (corded, not battery) electric drill is still running quite well, 32 years after he passed. And he probably had it longer than I have.

ALS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah local ad fliers: page after page after page of battery powered power tools, often bundles. I keep thinking there's something wrong with this picture. I don't think they have the same oomph, and the upkeep is much more of a pain. And the prices...

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hand tools are fine for many occasion, especially as a backup for an emergency, but battery operated power tools are lifesaver in some occasion, certainly a timesavor for most. If simpler manual tools can do everything all the time, I would have only a bike pump and riding a bike for all of my transportation needs. No driving Prius. :LOL:

mjoo likes this.