1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure valve caps on sale -- $5.99

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Kurt Weiske, May 23, 2014.

1. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I saw these on Tanga this morning. They're baselined for 36 PSI +- 5 PSI, but should work fine.

4-Piece Tire Pressure Indicator Valve Caps Deal - Tanga

[​IMG]

This is a must have for anyone owning a car. You know how you sometimes look at a tire and you aren’t sure if it’s properly inflated or not? And you are too lazy to reach for the pressure gauge or get your hands dirty? Or maybe you don’t even have one in the car? Or perhaps your wife, girlfriend, daughter doesn’t care to learn how to use one or get her clothes dirty? Well, with this little device, you’ll always know this vital piece of information. Knowing the tire pressure is very important for your safety, for the fuel economy and for the life of your tires.
    This device will be able to tell you if the tire pressure is normal, if it’s a little down, or if it’s at a dangerous level.
    Green shows that tire pressure is normal.
    Yellow shows that the pressure is down about 5 pounds.
    Red alerts you that the pressure is down by at least 10 pounds.
    These are very easy to install and will fit any tire. These are designed for tires with a normal PSI of 36 plus or minus 5.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They might be useful for an older car that lacks TPMS...but be warned:
    I bought these in the 90's and they leaked air between the clear plastic window and the cover body.

Garbage.

They did indeed accurately indicate that the tire was low on air, but they also caused the air leak!
    No offense intended towards the OP, but if you're too lazy to reach for the pressure gauge, and you don't notice the TPMS indicator on a 2012 or newer car?
    [​IMG]
    Maybe you ought to consider mass transit. :)

The pressure indicator valve caps are a good idea in theory (I bought them 20 years ago) but just be careful you have access to some air if you get the kind I bought.

Good Luck!! :)

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That '+- 5 PSI' rules them out for my needs.

4. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not so much worried about low pressure, but keeping my tires at high pressure. :)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used them for a little over a year on our 2003 Prius. Order six and you'll have four working ones and a spare for a year or so. Be careful to check them after tire rotation because Firestone took them off, calling them "batteries," and I had to go back to retrieve them. But the last straw was losing my 'free' air. After paying $1.50 to top off the tires a couple of times, a rock took one out and I was down to three. Then I found a better solution.

For about the same price, you can get a Harbor Freight, air pump with a pressure dial. Now every two months, I top off the tires and don't have to worry about finding a broken or crapped out, $.75, three tire duration, air pump. Do it in the morning with glass cleaner and/or rain-x and you'll have a regular routine with good tires, clean glass and mirrors, and other stuff taken care of. Just do it in the driveway and life is good.

Bob Wilson

6. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just over inflate your tires, set the TPMS then lower to desired pressure. Get it right and the light will come on with a loss of just a few lbs.

bwilson4web likes this.