1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Puncture

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PixelRogue, Nov 26, 2021.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, while out of town, returned to the PiP to discover a tire completely flat. No sure what happened or how - fully flat.

Stuck, whipped out the never been used tire repair kit..worked pretty well. No way to just inflate without using the liquid sealer. Overall everything went well. Sealer was visible on the outside of the tire, with a bubble indicating puncture.

Take the car to a tire shop where tires were purchased, and they can not find a leak, said nothing wrong with the tire. Then I mention the sealer and suddenly they disqualified from everything, saying i voided the warrantee, sealer is not allowed - they ‘could’ have fixed it but no longer.

Anyone run into this in the past? Does the tire repair kit actually kill the tire? Tire is a year old with barely any use, excellent tread.
    I understand the fix is temporary to get you to a place for a repair, but did NOT expect to essentially kill the tire by using the repair kit.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can they show you where that is stated in the tire road hazard warranty?

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It does not ruin the tire but could make a mess. Just take it to an independent, small tire shop and have them properly fix it. Hopefully they clean out the residual sealant.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a Plug-In Prius, model year 2012~2015? Just confused: your avatar says 2002 Prius, and this forum is Prius v.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Used to be that kind of service was designated to a select few companies. It's getting more common by the day, it seems to me.
    Excuse #1 We can't find a leak - because the sealer plugged it, duh
    Excuse #2 We don't fix tires that have been fixed with sealant. tough luck charley! <- is that the attitude you seemed to have gotten for the tire company rep. / service writer / manager / owner?

BBB must be doing a lot of business lately, unless they also write off such claims as well, which wouldn't surprise me much presently and in the future.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  6. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - sealer automatically resulted in requiring new tire. I didn’t order the tire mind you, however need to get it fixed - don’t want a problem later as a result of depending on sealer for too long.

Nearly a new tire as is, this should be repairable.

How do they determine a puncture in s tire? Place the wheel in water, keep s compressor on the valve and look for bubbles?

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You over thinking this, just take it to a small independent tire shop. Normally there will be a nail or screw still in it, easily found. If its still leaking they will do a bubble search. If the nail is gone and its not leaking they will look closer.

#7 rjparker, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    N.J.PRIUS and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A little easier, is to spray the tire with soapy water, watch for bubbles.

Again, and I'm just curious: this is a 2012~2015 model year Plug-In Prius?

N.J.PRIUS and jerrymildred like this.
  9. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or a temp spare? A good plug-repair kit in a solid case never hurts either.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I carry both the full size and temporary spare but no plug kit.

Most all tire dealers will refuse to do a decent demount repair after a plug has been used. Some dealers might even disqualify a replacement under warranty.

N.J.PRIUS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Browsing through my log:

====
    Saturday, December 07, 2013
    km: 40800
    * Plug repaired driver's side rear tire (screw in tread, about 1.5" from edge of tread)
    ====

That tire's currently on the car, around 93K kms. It's part of a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires, on separate rims, first installed November 2010, tire manufactured in February of same year. I did have them checked over this fall, by Kal Tire, for tread wear and condition; they said good for one more winter. They have around 7/32" tread depth. I didn't mention plug repair.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm with @rjparker on this one too. Call around and find a tire shop that's willing to at least look at the tire to see if they can do anything with it as is. Might even want to check a local used tire seller. Sometimes ya never know, they just might be the one that fits the situation.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  14. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 PIP

15. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I am at another shop - they spent nearly an hour and are saying they can not find a leak having a variety of methods.

Seems like i need to wait for the sealant to wear away before getting it checked again? Concerned continuing to drive might result in a blow out or something down the road?

(I didn’t mention sealant in this visit.)

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a bit of a bug-bear. You've got a leak, install sealant, it (temporarily) seals, but now the methods to locate the puncture don't work.

My take-away, do anything else besides installing sealant; it leaves you with a quandry. I really wish Toyota would smarten up on this.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not worry about it IF they removed the tire and looked from the inside. In reality what you have now is the equivalent of a plug patch, not ideal but ok. Many thousands of tires are driven with a plug patch. The better patch is done from the inside. In any case a blowout is not a concern with modern tires and tire pressure monitoring systems.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, did the new shop mention the methods? Assuming the removed the tire from your car (I was going to suggest you take the tire off the car and ask to have it unmounted) with the sealant in the puncture, the mechanic is not going to unseal the hole even if the know where it is, most likely. That is something much easier done by you with the tire off the rim. That is if the tire mechanic wouldn't do the work for you. Which it sounds like they are shying away from or flat out refusing to do.

Also, might want to call around and get price quotes for cleaning the sealant, if you can't do the work yourself.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  19. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All that work and hassle might be more expensive than a new tire. It might not be repairable even if it can be cleaned out.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Probably depends on the sealant used as well. I've read only one post here describing how annoying it was to clean a sealant repaired tire after unmounting the tire from the wheel.
    I did an experiment using slime on a plumbing thermal expansion tank with a punctured bladder. The repair lasted a year at which time I had a new tank to take it's place. One of these days when I have an idea about how to reuse the tank, I'll open it up and take a look inside.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.