1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire punctured. What tire to get?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chippingawayatlife, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I went in today for my 5000 mile tire rotation and was told that I had a slow leak due to a hole in the front right tire. The small item is slightly recessed so removing it would be difficult. That tire is now in the rear right due to the rotation. It was raining so I can see the slow bubbling. It was inflated to maybe 39psi a few weeks ago and now service checked 26psi remaining. It was near the sidewall so I can't repair it. I'm guessing I just had real bad luck so I'll have to deal with it now. The tires are Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S 15". The Toyota Dealer had Yokohama's, Bridgstone's, and two other ones. But I'm thinking about getting them at Costco, a warehouse.

1. It's not recommended by most everybody but the dangerously frugal, but can I get away with a tire repair kit? I don't usually turn too hard anyway.

2. Assuming the answer to the above is "no", what tire should I get? Should I get 1 or 2? They still have plenty of tread on them left. Are there quieter/smoother tires as I'm not looking for performance?

2. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm gunna replace my noisy Dunlop's with some nice smooth quite Michelin's someday

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Chippingawayatlife like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see what's wrong with a plug, i've had it done many times. did they show you the perp? have you noticed a leak while regularly checking your tyres pressure?

did you tyres come with road hazard protection? there should be a tyre leaflet with your paperwork.

Chippingawayatlife likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here, you'd take it to a tyre depot and they'd plug it while you wait - end of story.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you go with replacement: with only 5000 miles, I would just get one replacement tire, same as what you have. It might take some time: they're kinda rare I think.

Still, I would consider plug repair. How close to the edge is the metal piece? You should be able to grab it with needle nose pliers, get it out. Then ream the hole and plug repair.

I've plug repaired one of our OEM Pilots, it had a finishing nail, about an inch from the tread edge. That was about 4 years back, lol. Also plug repaired one of your snow tires, about 3 years back: a smallish bolt, again about an inch from tread edge.

6. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done about a dozen plugs before too. Tire places don't like doing it near the sidewall. This one is near the middle/inside of the first outside tread. I used to plug them this close without thinking about the negative consequences.

I haven't noticed a leak the last time I checked air. They were all consistent. However, I've put hundreds of miles in since so it may be new.

Service checked for the warranty on the computer and said I don't have it with Toyota. I don't recall seeing a leaflet. What does that look like? I'm checking with insurance just for fun...

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see. Getting the same one might be better? One thing is I think I'd have to get that at the dealer. And even then they need to special order it in.

See the image for where the X marks lead. Its not very clear, but those are just bubbles. the item is sunk in. Would you think it's pluggable given it's location? I'm not sure where to measure it to. I get somewhere around 1" to where it starts curving a lot. I'd have to still figure out how to get that thing out. I'll try to find the plug kit.

Attached Files:

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tires are warrantied, against defects, not road hazards (punctures, for example), by the tire manufacturer.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I see the bubble zone. I would plug repair that without hesitation.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like a standard simple repair - any tyre service wouldn't question it.

Chippingawayatlife and RCO like this.
  11. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if it's a California thing, but the Toyota service center said they won't repair it. Another instance, I've brought in my mini Cooper to tire shop for a valve stem replacement. They saw my plug near the sidewall and said it was illegal. Unfortunately they took it out and said "you can get a new tire, or we can stick it back in". :mad:! I've also had another instance where I had a nail near the sidewall of a fairly new warranted sidewall so I brought it to Costco, where I bought it. They said they can't repair it, but replaced it instead (I paid $20).

I guess I'll just do it myself today, I won't be able to patch the inside. I have to drive my family to a wedding tonight, so I have to do it well the first time o_O. I'll post results.

RCO likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since this is a new car, get a new tire. It shouldn't be that much for 1.

If that tire blows on the highway, it'll cost you a lot more than the frugal $120 you'll save by not replacing the tire. There's a reason why they won't repair sidewall damage tires, it's a huge liability issue

RCO likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Go for it. First leak on ours, a finishing nail, at most an inch from tread edge, I took the loose wheel into dealership, and they refused to patch, saying it was too close to edge. The rule of thumb they use is one thumb's width. Hmm, that's kinda humorous.

Anyway, their logic is that doing a kosher plug/patch repair where the tire is removed, that's too close to the edge, on the inside where the patch is. The patch disc will be running into the inside curve, won't seat properly.

I could see that, but thought for a thin finishing nail, why don't I give it a try: a simple plug repair only, from the outside. That tire has been fine ever since, 4.5 years and counting.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealer wants to sell you a new tyre? shocking!:p

RCO likes this.
  15. Chippingawayatlife

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plugged. Used vulcanizing cement. Pumped it to 38 psi. Drove for 5 mins. Checked as 38 psi. Waited an hour and drove for 5 mins. Checked again as 37.5 psi. Waited 2 hours and checked again as 37.5 psi. Made it to the wedding. I'll keep an eye on it.

Attached Files:

xliderider, RCO, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.