1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Question - Not Your Typical Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CBarr31, Jan 5, 2011.

?
  1. Replace when they hit 150,000 miles.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Make the push to 200,000 miles.

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know, I know everyone saw this thread and said "OMG another IDIOT who doesn't know how to use the search function!!!" Please read on :)

Ema now has 223,500 miles on her approximately and her OEM Incrappity tires were replaced at 78,000 miles :eek:. There that alone should provide enough entertainment for reading this thread, LOL. "78,000 miles on Intergrities, the guys insane."

Anyway the Incrappities were changed with Michelin Harmony 195/60R tires and they have been on the car since. Yes the entire 145,500 miles since.

I checked the tread depths with a digitial meter the other day and all 4 tires are running about 4/32 on the outside and about 5/32 in the middle. Some may be at 3/32 and 6/32 but generally very even wear on the tires. There is no cracking of the sidewalls or any physical problems with the tires that are evident from inspection.

I have noticed a little more slipping in wet conditions BUT this could be 223,000 miles on the original suspenstion as much as tires. Note: I plan on upgrading to the Touring Suspension Package when I do replace my tires whenever that is.

It has been cold here in Carolina this winter but not terribly wet or snowy but I am sure we will have a few more wet/snowy days where new tires would be a benefit. In NC you need 3/32 minimum to pass inspection and mine is due in March so I am within the 90 days or soon will be to have it inspected for 2011. So could do that soon and drive on these tires all summer.

That brings me to the grand question for this thread and the Poll Question. Do I replace the tires when I get 150,000 miles on them or do I make a push to see if I can get 200,000 miles on a single set of Michelin Harmony Tires?

Ohh if there is anyone out there, Michelin ;);), that wants these tires for testing or display I would happily give them to you for a new set of Michelin Harmony tires for Ema :D:D.

Thanks for reading and happy driving,
    Chris

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's amazing, you're getting about three times more mileage than I've ever managed to get out of a set of tires. What's your secret?

3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you sure you didn't accidently hit the km. button four years ago?!?

What psi are you running, 80?

PA P

4. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In a nutshell ... highway miles, lol.

I run the Harmonies at about 38 PSI all the way around, rotation every 5,000 miles (free) and get the alignment checked every 3rd or 4th oil change which is about every 20,000 miles. Prii are REALLY susceptible to being knocked out of alignment.

For more info on Ema check out my 200K thread here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/82173-200k-miles-one-prius-one-owner.html

Happy driving,
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As an update Ema is at a little over 230K now which means the Harmonies have over 150K on them. I am still at about 4/32 maybe 5/32 in the middle on most. There might be a low spot of 3/32 on one tire. There should be enough to pass inspection at my next oil change in a couple of weeks.

BUT, even though the tires might make 200K and I kinda want to try it, I am not sure if I can handle the road noise. I don't know if it is getting louder or it just bothers me more but I might have to get tires if I do more driving on crappy interstates like I-20 in SC.

Kinda thought I would get more than 3 votes on the subject but ohh well. I will post again after inspection in a couple weeks and I decide what I want to do for those interested.

Happy driving,
    Chris

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow. Over 150 miles/day. 50 times my commute. Whoever gave away free rotations hopes you are above average.

But the miles on the tires is amazing! In your climate with spring coming, I'd keep them running until not legal any longer.

7. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bidendum would be so proud of you!
    Michelin already knows their tires can last when taken care of properly; their proving grounds are very impressive. I bet they'd appreciate a call anyways..I may be able to get the number for you. Do you have documentation?

8. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get some pretty heavy rain storms, which I think you do in NC, I'd change them. There's a video somewhere on the web that shows the braking distance increase in wet weather on worn tires and it was very dramatic. 150k is phenomenal wear, besides just highway driving it indicates a very smooth driving style.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you can get michelin to sponser you.

10. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello everyone,

I got Ema inspected a few weeks ago and she passed so the tires are "legal". I checked them just a few moments ago with my digital and they are running 4/32 or 5/32 in the middle on all tires with 3/32 on the outside most common. Nothing lower than 3/32 anywhere and a couple tires measured 6/32 in a couple places.

We had a some serious rain here over the past few days and a few weeks ago so I did some testing. Tires would spin under hard acceleration from a red light but absolutely no issues under braking or with hard cornering in an empty parking lot. Parking lot wasn't recently paved which would have been nice to test to see if the oil from the BCBC in the rain would have made a difference.

So, I think I am going to make the push for 200K on this set but have decided to replace before Winter this year so may or may not make it. It doesn't "feel" like I have been driving as much this year but that can change quickly. I will certainly keep posting to this thread as the year continues.

Ohhh, Ema is at 234,000 now so that is 156,000 miles on my Harmonies now :rockon:

Happy driving,
    Chris

11. briank

briank Solar Powered

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, that's impressive mileage on one set of tires. I have to say I wouldn't trust my life to those tires though and I can't imagine tires that actually last that long are fun to drive :)

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Had you asked what tread depth ro replace your tires at, I would have voted, mileage means (almost) nothing, while tread depth is frequently relevent.

13. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cbarr31 you would probably get a bit better ware with maybe 41 lbs. pressure. That way the edge ware might be similar to the center? Hard to Knock 150 k miles thou. I have never heard of that kind of distance on a set of tires! Your doing something write, for sure! Think I maybe convinced? Hal

14. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry for the long delay between updates but I've done quite a bit of driving, unfortuantely not enough to get to 200K.

Ema is at a little over 255K which puts my Harmonies at 176,000 now. I measured the tread depth and am down to mostly 3/32" but have a couple spots with 2/32". They do have some slip in heavy rain but nothing that is unsafe, IMO. This could also be from the suspension.

I won't be making the push to 200K though on this set. I REALLY would like to but the suspension is SHOT!!! And I mean shot as in ded ... dead, LOL.

I ordered all the parts to convert Ema (standard) to the Touring suspension and the parts are arriving today. I am taking her in to my local dealer and having all the parts put on and getting 4 new Harmonies to put on her this weekend.

Interesting story there, I was going to give the Michelin Energy Savers a shot but there are NONE in the entire United States. My local tire shop has a good in with a Michelin Rep and he said as far as he can tell the Energy Savers are not even schedule for a production run. Translation ... they are probably going bye bye (discontinued) for some reason.

Anyway, not having the Energy Savers as an option I decided to stick with the Harmonies. Pretty hard to argue with their performance for say the lost 176,000 miles, LOL. Obviously a GREAT tire and one I would recommend in a heartbeat.

Thanks for reading along. Maybe with all new suspension, alignment and my regular maintenance schedule I can get 200K from this set of Harmonies.

Wish me luck :D

Happy driving,
    Chris

1 person likes this.
  15. EffinRed

EffinRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great info - thanks!

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would argue that 3/32 tread depth is unsafe in wet weather. I would replace them before winter sets in. :)

Incredible mileage though. I'm very impressed.

17. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had my Michelin Energy Savers installed at 200k miles. At 250k I used a digital caliper to measure the tread depth. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I remember calculating 3/4 of the available tread depth remained which would extrapolate to 200k miles total. I drive 140 miles/day, 100 on the highway, 45 psi all around. Currently at 256k miles.

18. MarvinHC

MarvinHC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations Chris, amazing mileage on these tires. FYI: I don't think that the Michelin Energy Savers are discountinued, they are a big seller over here in Europe (and by the way a great fit for the Prius, very smooth and quiet). However no-one over here would get that kind of mileage out of a set of tires, anything over 60k miles is already very good (ok, we also drive a bit faster here.. :D )

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Chris,
    You mentioned the noise level with the Harmonys. Were they always noisy, or just as they got up into the high mileage? BTW, I have had pretty good wear out of the Integritys, 63K out of one set, 53K on the current ones with lots of tread left. But I would like to buy my next set of tires at Costco for the service and location convenient to me, plus they don't constantly try to "upsell" the customer.

20. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Marvin,

Michelin may still be producing them in Europe but according to Michelin there are no porduction runs for the tire here in the US the rest of the year. I wanted to try them but am sticking with the Harmonies again.

Chris