1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire question...opinions needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by curtxxx, Jul 25, 2011.

1. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks...

Was hoping for something that would be decent in snow as well...I don't use winter tires. The AWD SUV comes out when the snow is thick.

Although they can't be worse than the low profiles I have on now - believe they are just a summer tire and last winter the Prius sat most of the time as it was stuck or just couldn't get any traction.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! That way you are not using only 78% nitrogen. You'll have 100% which basically means nothing. :D

3. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So...looks like the Energy Saver A/S are all out of stock and on back order from Michelin Canada...leaning now towards the Assurance Fuel Max....thoughts?

According to the article here: When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

The Ecopia's would be next but they are summer tires (the 100's)
    Never been a fan of Yokohama, plus they are summer.
    According to Fountain Tire, the Fuel Max receive a 7/10 for winter driving, so I am thinking they should do the trick???

Thoughts (outside of telling me that I should have winter tires)....am I missing a tire that may provide better mileage? Nokian e-tyre???

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to consider the Ecopia 422 (all-season) also. I think I would go with the Fuel Max due to its higher treadwear though. The Nokian enTYRE seems like a great option but they are harder to obtain, do not benefit form the $70 rebate offers and none of us have purchased them and given a review. I loved my Nokian i3s though.

5. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah I thought about the 422 but couldn't find anything in regards to them being LRR, and if so, the mileage claims on a Prius...

Always been a goodyear fan

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go. :)

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Ecopia EP422 (eco): Bridgestone Tires

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/93294-bridgestone-ecopia-ep422.html

TireRack regularly offer the $70 rebate for the Bridgestone and Michelins. I'm not sure about Goodyear although I think Goodyear does offer it.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't using helium make the car lighter, and thus enable better mileage? ;)

8. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did it just to mess with you. :D

Ohh, don't take Hyo's helium idea seriously. I tried it once and this is what happened! I guess I other things going through my system at the time too. :eek:

Content warning!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVAPzj5d-M&feature=related]SOUTH PARK-HEAVY METAL - YouTube[/ame]

10. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me again - one more question for all of you....got my rims in the mail today...they measure a little over 16 inches in diameter - is this correct for 15" factory rims? I thought for sure they sent the wrong ones except for two things:

1. I don't believe there is actually a 16" OEM option for the 2010 Prius
    2. I measured my rims which have the 17 inch tires on them and they measure 18 and some inches in diameter.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Did they send me the right ones....or is this painful process going to stretch out longer?

Thanks in advance!

11. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Found this on ehow...

"Measure the rim diameter. Take the diameter measurement from the inside groove that the tire bead sits on. It’s easiest to measure the inner diameter of the tire after it’s removed from the wheel. If you measure the outer diameter of the rim itself, it will be almost an inch larger than the specific size.

Read more: How to Measure Tire Rim Size | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4423710_measure-tire-rim-size.html#ixzz1VFWxdx5g"

Perhaps this accounts for the extra inch as I am measuring outside diameter?

12. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't experienced 17s. With my 15s I get 4.8l/100k average on fast freeway and country dirt road combination driving. I regularly travel in excesss of 700ks between fills usually 30-34 litres approx.

13. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    anyone?

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a picture of the wheel for us and we can determine if it is a Prius oem wheel.

If you measure the wheel from edge to edge then you will find they are an inch or so larger than the actual size of the wheel so 16"s would mean you have a 15" wheel unless you measured where the tire bead sits.

15. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know they are OEM's as they have the stamps and such...and yes I measured from edge to edge...so then I gather that I do have the right ones. Besides, there was no such thing as a 16 inch OEM....correct?

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not for the 2010 that I am aware of. The options were 15" and 17" only. At least in this country.

17. curtxxx

curtxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Latest update - got new rims and tires put on this Saturday. According to my average of last 15 fillups (by the computer in the car), I noticed a 4.3 (US) mpg increase on brand new tires with the current tank.

Last tank before new tires I had 6.3 l/100km (37.34 mpg US)
    Tank with new tires - 5.4 (43.56 mpg US)

Hoping it gets better yet as the tires wear in...which by all indication they should.