1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire recommendations...please.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fwbrc51, Nov 29, 2011.

1. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting closer to the end of life of my Goodyear Integrity tires on my 2008 prius with OEM 15" rims. I live in NW Florida and drive about a 45 mile commute 5 days a week. This is my Family vehicle also. I do not drive in snow or ever expect to, so snow property characteristics in a tire would be last in priority. I plan on keeping the car as long as I can get parts for it, so short term tires are not an option. I want to equal or maximize potential MPG's, but I also want a tire to last longer than 50k miles. I would like tires that are quieter than the Integrity, though I have no real valid issues with the noise levels of the Integrity tire. I don't push my car to perform in corners and i'm typically light on the brakes, keeping distance from other cars. I purposely always slow down when it's raining or if i'm surrounded by more cars.

I have been looking at:

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
    Goodyear Authority Fuel Max
    (What's the difference between the two?)

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred

Michelin Energy Saver (seems these are out of stock everywhere so they might not be an option for now)

Sometimes I wish I had just bought another set of Integrity tires when they were $65 each during the Black Friday sale at Walmart.

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I personally like Assurance Fuel Max. Long wear life,can be pumped to 51 lbs. max cold setting. Very good performance in all conditions and roll like you would not believe. I have used two other brands of LRR tires, but they do not come close. Hal

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how you missed this thread. It's stickied everywhere. lol

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...esistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html

If you want max mpg and you drive easy then look at the Ecopia EP100. If you want max mileage warranty and better performance then look at the Continental Contiprocontact with EcoPlus.

The Fuel Max is a good tire overall but I don't think it is better than the above tires.

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am incredibly impressed with the Hankook Optimo H727. My parents and I have them on our '07's. They are much smoother and quieter than the Integrities and they track better on the highway. They also cost less than most of the Goodyears and Michelins and are very highly-rated. They don't make the 185/65R15 stock size so we're using the 195/60R15 size.

They have incredible snow and ice traction for an all-season, but you might be interested in the 100,000 mile warranty on them. I don't drive a lot, but they've been on over a year and I haven't noticed the slightest bit of tread wear. I haven't felt any need to rotate them. I also haven't noticed any drop in MPG, which is surprising considering how much more grip they have than the Integrities.--I just saw them on the Priuschat LRR tire list, which makes sense--they roll very nicely.