1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Replacement with different sizes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jul 13, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'll be getting Nokian WR tires for my car this fall. I am thinking of going to a larger size, for better traction in winter, and for a higher load rating/stronger tire. Our roads here are in pretty bad condition. Here's the comparison:

Stock size: P185/65/R15 - the "P" means "passenger tire". With Nokian WR tires this tire rotates 850 times per mile vs stock Integrity of 855 (it has more tread - 12.5 32nds total). Weight is 17 lbs for the WR in the stock size.

Oversize: I could go 195/60R15 - same load rating, one pound heavier. No real benefit other than 0.5" wider. 858 revs/mile.

The one I am considering is 205/60R15 - higher load rating (91H vs 88H), 3 lbs heavier, 0.8" wider. 842 revs/mile so speedo will be out a bit.

All three tires are good for the 6JJ rim. In fact the rim is a bit large for the stock size - the Nokian in the stock size wants a 5.5JJ rim.

I don't see any problem with the revs/mile, as long as all the tires are the same. Anything I'm overlooking?

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jul 13 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]478274[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, for winter driving, I think you need a narrow tire (instead of a wider tire). But what do I know (being from California)? Perhaps some of the more experienced from the snow belt will chime in. As you observe, the critical specification governing tire selection is rotations/mile. Get the best tire while staying within the factory spec of 855 rotations/mile.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In deep snow you do want a narrow tire. Here we get "dry" snow. Powder, and not a lot at a time. With lots of ice. The snow gets worked onto the surface of the road as polished ice. For that you want lots of soft rubber in contact.

But you're right, for heavy wet snow like you find in coastal regions, you do want a narrow tire to sink down to get to the pavement, or at least to get grip from the sidewalls.

The nice thing about the Nokian WR is it's a true all-season tire, yet is rated for heavy snow use (snowflake symbol), which means you don't have to put on chains. It doesn't wear rapidly in summer either, and due to the aggressive siping, it's great in heavy rain. It's warranted for 100,000 km or 60,000 mi.

Oh, and when buying tires, when they try to charge you for new valve stems, point out they are metal, and have the TPMS sensors in them. If they want to supply you with new ones for $10 each, tell them to go right ahead!