1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire selection and size question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Jul 6, 2013.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was hoping you could give me some suggestions. Need to replace my wife's present tires on her Gen II prius. I was using 195/60/15 Hankook H727. I can get Michelin energy savers a/s at costco but only in size 185/65/15. The michelin special ends today and then Bridgestone specials start tomorrow.

Debating between getting her Ecopia 422 in the 195/60/15 or the Michelins in 185/65/15. I definitely noticed a big improvement going from the original OEM GY Integrity (stock size) to Hankook H727 in the 195/60/15. I guess I can't know what made the difference - the larger size , Hankook being perhaps a better tire or the combination of the two.

If I could get the Michelin Energy Savers in 195/60/15 I wouldn't hesitate to do so. My only reluctance in going with Michelin now is that I will be downsizing and can't know what difference that is going to make in the car's demeanor. I believe the Ecopia will be available in the 195/60/15 but I'll need to check.

Thanks in advance.

2. bikerwoe

bikerwoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I personally would never purchased any tires from Costco, Walmart or Sams. I only purchase tires from a tire professional, someone who can demonstrate the tire to me and will stand behind them with professional installers. This past Aug I purchased the Michelin P185/65R15. They are great in the rain, don’t have much snow here and my mileage is still at 50 mpg. Tire World rotates my tires for free every 5k and did a 4-wheel alignment at installation.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you will find that Costco will refuse to install a tire size which is not original equipment.

I currently am using the original equipment size, Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 on both Prius, and am very happy with that tire. One set was bought at Costco and the other at Discount Tire.

Good luck with your choice.

Merkey and inventor00 like this.
  4. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gonna go with the Ecopia 422 OEM size from Costco. Currenty on special. Thank you !

Merkey likes this.
  5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me know what you think as I am about to do the same- $70 off a set of 4 at Costco until Aug 4 is temping for the Bridgestone Ecopia.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EP422's are good tires, wear well, good in the rain, and quieter than the original Yokohamas I had on my liftback. I think you'll be happy with them.

Merkey likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would stick with OEM size for me I am thinking that's 185.
    I am thinking the A/S next time.
    I have no prob with Costco but they never seem to have good price on tire I wanted so I usually order from TireRack.com

Merkey likes this.
  8. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One last question - Costco has ecopia 185x65x15H in stock. Should I care if they are H rated. Will they be any noiser than T or produce a harder ride than T ? A set of 4 Ecopia will cost $374.00 out the door. Thanks in Advance.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would go with the H-speed rated tires but cannot say whether they will exhibit any differences vs. the T-speed rated tires.

10. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick - What rating are the ecopias on your prius

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    H-speed rated. Traction A, Temperature A ratings. 480 tire tread wear.

T-speed rated tires will usually show a Temperature B rating. Especially because I live in a relatively hot area and the freeway speed limit is 75 mph, I prefer to use tires with high ratings with regards to temperature. I prefer a Traction A rating for safety reasons.

It is possible to obtain a tire with a higher tire tread wear number, but that metric is less important to me, compared to the traction and temperature ratings. I don't expect to buy a tire that lasts the life of the car... I like to replace tires periodically and will change them out no later than when the tread depth gets to 3/32". (Legal tread depth is 2/32" but in my opinion that is unsafe in wet weather.)

Merkey likes this.
  12. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much Patrick ! Based on your remarks and others I got my wife a set of Ecopia 422 H rated 185x65x15 at Costco - $374 out the door. Apparently the tire only comes in H rating in this size. Couldn't be happier with my selection. Car seems to roll much easier and getting 4-5 MPG more with them using 35F/33 R pressures. Car does not exhibit any weirdness (no drifting or floating) at highway speeds. Tires are quiet and handling is fine for her driving style. No problems in rain. We'll see how snow handling is later this year. Costco service was great and includes free rotation and road hazard for life.Tires are inflated with 100% nitrogen for as much as that is worth. Gave us cute little green valve stem covers. I thought that was just because the tires are 'green' with regards to fuel efficiency. I was later told that that is a flag/alert to other tire mechanics that the tires are filled with Nitrogen.

Merkey likes this.