1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire shine products and side effects

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NineScorpions, Jun 14, 2012.

1. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did a couple of searches, but came up empty. I have used a couple of brands for tire shine and of course love the look. This is more noticeable on my Titan since it has high white letter side walls. The problem is not the performance of the shine product. The problem is after it wears off. I cannot keep my cars showroom every week. So on the "off" weeks (after previously applying tire shine)...the tires start showing a brown color which is quite bad. It seems this becomes worse with the more often tire shine is applied.

My question is...has anyone else experienced this and for those that have not...what is your tire shine of choice? I have only shined up my tires on the Pri once or twice due to the fact I do not want my tires browning up like the ones on my Titan have. Perhaps I have just been using the wrong product.

Cheers,

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never had that issue.

I use 303 Protectant on the tires. A nice matte finish, and it last a few washes.

3. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

We've used Armor All Extreme Tire Shine for quite a while now. Lasts for a while longer than others we've tried and no "browning" of any kind.

4. radmangto

radmangto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... since you have used these products previously, I'd suggest that you take a current cruize through your favorite auto parts store or even 'ole Walmart auto section and give each product some time. Some are gloss, some are high luster. Some are foaming cleaners and some are just spray-on high luster.

I've sorta settled lately on McGuires products (sp) as it seems to last a bit longer here in the Fla rain and high sun IR .... but, bottom line, it's what you want your tires to look like ... probably any choice will be better than what we did eons ago .... Brillo .... :D
    Regards,
    radmangto

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the brown look from you driving down dusty/dirt roads and the dirt/dust sticking on the tire shine?

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tires have an anti-oxident in the rubber that works it's way to the surface as the tires flex. It turns brown as it works.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Years back I slathered on Armorall a few times, and that's the impression I got, that the stuff caused the brown discoloration. Quit using it, or similar products.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it looks worse with Amorall because the Armorall keeps the brown stuff on the tire instead of letting it wash or fall off.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is also important to degrease and thoroughly clean the tire before applying any kind of protectant or dressing. I always use Super Clean degreaser (purple jug) mixed 1:4 and a stiff brush to thoroughly clean the tire before applying dressing.

I have been using Optimum Opti-Bond with fantastic results.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have recently switched to the Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss and have had good results. It even mentions that its formulation stops tires from turning brown.

11. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is probably something I need to focus more on...makes sense.

12. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    now you have my attention! will look for that one. ty

13. DecimationX

DecimationX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know exactly what you mean! I used some turtle wax spray on tire shine and after it gets washed once or after about a week or so it will start to sort of do a faded sort of black finish instead of just being black. I recommend atleast NOT using the rutle wax one as it is cheap.

However I tried one a while back That I beleive is the Meguires the other person is speaking of. It's not a spray on it's like a wipe on. (With a sponge) It's in a purple bottle and a little more expensive, but works REALLY well. I recommend this as the most inexpensive/ bang for buck gloss!

14. 4npower

4npower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Adam's VRT and have been for the last 7 years with great results. It gives your tire a nice shine not the bling bling shine. And all Adams stuff is water soluble so it you get some on the rims whips off with no residue.

15. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use Zaino's Z-16 Tire Gloss. I have found that it ages quite well, and a reapplication brings back the new tire look. I am not a fan of glossy tires, which the Z-16 can produce if you use a lot of it. Once it dries and ages you just get a smooth rubber look.

Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss: Zaino Store

NineScorpions likes this.
  16. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Some of the products will attract the dust from the brake pads - normal - it just wipes off. The tires may cause some of it (not my experience) but the brake dust is most of it. My convertible is out in the sun often but it is not driven many miles and never gets brown but my sedan with the same tires does. I've used many products over the years - they all work in different ways -- some of the new ones are a bit thick for my taste. I will say that they all work in preserving the rubber so good practice. The one plus for Armor All is that it is thin enough to be easily sprayed. I took a small pressure bottle that is used for spraying household weedkiller ....removed the wand and attached a brush to the end of the handle ......... instant tire shine applicator ..... no wasted product and no rag or cleanup needed ...... I use the AA in the larger bottle and it lasts a long time using this system ........