1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Sidewall blown after psi raised to 34

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gboss, Apr 4, 2022.

1. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You buy JUNK tires at your own risk. Your examples show that survival of the fittest still operates in our world.

JeffD

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That wasn't apparent from your "most cars" phrasing. BTW, all Gen3s in North America have TPMS. So do the last couple years of Gen2s.

I'm curious: how did he distinguish between an explosion while it was still overinflated, vs disintegration after serious deflation from a puncture? The later is fairly common at highway speeds or any other situation where the vehicle isn't stopped immediately.

Cheap chinese tires are problematic on many levels. Just look at the all the photos of disabled wheeled Russian military vehicles in Ukraine, where it seems that corrupt officials saved money by using the cheap chinese tires in place of their own very good Russian military tires, and pocketed the difference.

(I'm not suggesting that all Chinese tires are substandard. Just the really cheap variety that attract corrupt money-pocketers.)

Hard details remain elusive, but I've been lead to believe that the safety margin is much larger than that.

3. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Exactly, I always buy Goodyear, Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestone tires for simple reasons. They are great, comfortable, and often last much longer than cheaper tires. The labor for balance and mounting are always the same but the quality of ride often very dramatic between cheap and premium tires.

4. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    chill out with making love to those potholes

5. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My nephew called me from the Interstate, stopped by the side, totally confused how his new-used car could have had "blow outs" on all four tires simultaneously.

He had never considered that it might be important to pay attention to tire pressure. Ran at around 20psi at full speed on a warm day.

Tires all heated up. Sidewall continual flexing. Like magic, suddenly the treads and the wheels were no longer connected... he was driving on the rims for a few feet while he manhandled the car to the side.

A very costly lesson. Fortunately, nobody hurt.

jerrymildred likes this.