1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire size for winter tires

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Norma Jones-Turner, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Norma Jones-Turner

Norma Jones-Turner New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have a set of almost new (one snow season) P215/60 R16 Michelin X-ICE 3 tires on metal rims. they were on my 2007 Camry Hybrid I am trading for a 2017 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because ONLY 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) Four, not IV because of the reason sated previously which takes P205/60 R16 tires. Dealer says that I should be able to use them on the Prius since they are less than 2% circumference difference. If true and the rims with bigger tires will mount and clear on the Prius I will go that route. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or advice before I confer with the dealer and go .

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you are using four of the same size tire, the circumferential difference isn't an issue for ABS, TC, etc.
    If the rims have the same bolt circle, backset and center bore, the rims should mount and clear the brake calipers and you should be OK.

The v Five wears 215/50R17 tires, so fender well clearance should not be an issue.

4. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    One key to wheel fitment is something called offset. In laymans terms, it is how far the wheel center is going to be from the axle hub.

Together with tire size and wheel size and width, these combine to tell if the tire will fit in the wheel well and if there will be any brake component interference.

That is why the calculator asks for more than a few variables.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC there was a Camry steel rim being used with snow tires on the Prius v. FYI I'm using a Corolla rim for snows on a regular Prius. Bottom line, there are commonalities, sharing of parts/dimensions.

6. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As for the OP, bring one of the snow tires to the dealer and have him prove it will mount successfully and clear. They want the sale ...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Winter is when you could use the extra ride height to help clear some obstacles, how much can I get away with is the question? One up size should work, 2 up size maybe and pushing to 3 up size is pushing it. I'm about to try it so crossing fingers. I know my speedo will be off by roughly 5km/h.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'm using my 2004 Sienna wheels to see how big I could put on a Prius V. I'm trying 225/65/16 which is 3 up. Slight rub on inner rear plastic cover on turns and I bottomed out on a dip in the road. Slightly to big. The tires are about 1/2" wider and over 1" taller. I will try another size 215/60/16 and see. I should be using the same width and increase the sidewall but I'm using what's at my disposal.