1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Size vs Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Maine Pilot, Oct 14, 2011.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did he say that Prius has a manual transmission? I don't see it.
    My household has had plenty of cars with fuel injection, but has never been offered a gasoline car with direct fuel injection. It has always been indirect, injected outside the combustion chamber.
    Let me try another summary --

Fuel economy in most traditional cars will benefit from taller tires because:
    (1) their engines suffer considerable 'pumping loss', which gets worse at lighter loads and higher RPM;
    (2) their overall transmission / final drive ratios are geared for performance, not economy, causing their engines to spin at unnecessarily high RPM.
    Taller tires reduce engine RPM, which reduces this fuel-robbing pumping loss.

Prius short-circuits this fuel waste both at the engine stage, and at the gear ratio stage. Therefore, changing tire diameter won't produce the same fuel economy change in a Prius that it could produce in a traditional non-hybrid.

Is this any more clear?

Merkey likes this.
  2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Direct fuel injection engines in a gasoline Otto cycle engine engine still have an intake manifold and throttle butterfly.

A gasoline direct injection engine can be run much leaner, so more air for the same amount of power requires less throttle opening. It still needs a throttle though.
    HowStuffWorks "Direct Injection Engine Vehicle Makers"

Even diesels, which rarely have throttle plates still have intake manifolds.

Merkey likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll still loose energy on bumps. More so with stiffer tires/suspension. (this is seat of the pants impression from descending on mountain bike with locked suspension)

1 person likes this.
  4. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    I used the search function prior to initiating this thread and did not find any similar threads; however, by accident today I did find one in the Gen II Prius Fuel Economy section "The Difference Between 15" and 17" MPG." Here's the conclusion of the OP, (F8L):

That thread never mentioned the effect of the ICE on MPG as this one has, but has been relegated to one of the "dozens of small factors that come into play..."

5. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your explanation is basically correct except for one little detail. Actually it's not an automatic transmission with infinite gear ratios. It is a summing differential that provides infinite output speeds but at the same gear ratio. The engine has a single gear ratio to the wheels and the electric motor has a single gear ratio to the wheels. However, the motor puts out it's peak torque at stall so it does a great job of providing torque at low speeds. The engine puts out it's max torque at around 3500 to 4000 rpm (I'm guessing here, but it's probably around there), so combine the two and it's a darn good drive system. The transmission is a summing differential. A summing differential takes two inputs (ICE & second motor/gen) and sums them to the output (wheels). The second motor/generator can be used to trim the speed of the output. It can either add speed to the output or it can subtract speed from the output (it rotates the opposite way to subtract speed). The summing differential can also take power from the ICE to drive the second motor/generator as a generator. They use the second motor/generator to trim the speed in order to keep the engine in the efficient speed range. The large traction motor drives in parallel with the output from the summing differential.

It's a very unusual drive system that works extremely well. I don't know who invented it, but that person was brilliant!

Merkey and Maine Pilot like this.
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because nothing has changed with regards to the ICE other than it takes more HP to turn the larger/heavier wheels. :)

7. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a ScanGauge and one of the gauges I have it set to display is rpm. When I'm going at say 1000rpm and stomp on it, the rpm kicks up to 3000-4000. IOW, it acts like a CVT. At lower speeds, I can get it to display 0 rpm while the car is moving, or 1000rpm if I step on the gas so that the ICE is running.
    I think it would be more accurate to say that the engine has a single gear ratio to the transmission, no??

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a CVT, some people are hung up on what type of parts are in a transmission. What counts is what it does. One significant thing that it does is provides a continuously variable engine speed to output speed ratio at a high level of efficiency. The high efficiency qualifier is there to eliminate torque converters, slipping clutches, etc.

If it were a mysterious box sealed filled with pixie dust that accomplished the same thing, it would still be a CVT.

It also has the ability to add or subtract electrical power from the transmission.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it produces a transmission function, with continuously variable effective ratio over a wider range than standard devices. And you still called it a transmission.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and tastes like a duck, ...

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I clearly stated that it is a fixed gear ratio single speed transmission. I said that the electrical path provides for essentially infinite gear ratios, which it does. To be clear, I should have said "provides for essentially infinite *effective* gear ratios".

Perhaps I should have written yet another exhaustive technical treatise on the PSD, but we have plenty of those, several of which I have written. In this particular case I was making a simple point, namely that the transmission is effectively a CVT, but has only one fixed set of gears. Additional detail is sometimes an impediment to understanding.

Tom

11. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree with cycopathic that narrower tires tend to
    give better MPGs. When a tire's contact surface
    with the road is smaller it lowers the tire's overall
    rolling resistance (for any given tire material
    being used). Aptera takes this concept one step
    further by reducing the number of wheels from four to
    three inorder to lowers their tire's rolling resistance.
    However, the effects of lower tire rolling resistance
    only becomes signficant if the Prius is allow to coast/glide
    frequently ( downhill, in a pulse-n-glide driving session,
    or when slowing down to a stop). You can also increase
    the tire pressure to its maximum sidewall pressure (which
    increases its rigidity) to decrease a tire's rolling
    resistance OR you can just get Low Rolling Resistance
    Tires. However, narrower tire is an engineering compromise
    since they don't give as much road grip as wider tires --
    that road grip comes in handy in high speed turns...

An increase from 15 inch to 17 inch wheel will introduce
    a slight difference in the odeometer readings if the car is
    not recalibrated for the change but it shouldn't signficantly
    affect the car's actual fuel efficiency .

However, the weight/mass difference between different
    tire-wheel combinations could affect a car's fuel efficiency in
    certain conditions; more specifically, a lighter weight/mass
    tire-wheel combination should give better fuel efficiency
    than heavier weight/mass tire-wheel combinations when at very
    low acceleration rates. Why? Because the weight/mass of a
    tire-wheel combination has a rotational mass which the
    car's must exert force on. If both tires have the same
    rolling resistance/road contact surface, then the force
    required to turn a heavier tire-wheel combination should be
    more than the lighter tire-wheel combination. If one
    assumes (this is a big assumption) that the wheel is
    frictionless then all the force required to turn the
    wheel on an even flat road is caused by acceleration.
    This force increases by the square of the acceleration
    rate so the faster the acceleration rate the less
    signficantly the rotational mass is to the turn the
    wheel but on the flip side is that if one accelerates very
    gently then the rotational mass starts to become more
    of a signficant factor in fuel efficiency. How slow would
    that have to be? I'm not sure - but I'm sure most
    would run out patience or time before they could
    figure it out. :rolleyes:

hope this helps

Walter
    2010 Toyota Prius, Blue Ribbon/Dark Grey, oem floormats
    Yokohama Avid S33 (psi 50/psi 48)
    100% grill blocking
    ScangaugeII (FwT, SoC, RPM, GPH)
    Odeometer=16500 miles/ overall 60.4 mpg
    Last tank 727 miles/10.25 gallons/70mpg/E10, mainly logged via 16 mile stop-n-go urban commuter routes (+60min one way) in the Washington DC/MD/NoVa Area in the month of September driving average speed = 17mph

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Walter, I also wanted to point out that I observe lower mpg at highway cruising speeds when running my 17" tires. The effect gets worse the faster I travel. I have not been able to nail down any specfic numbers but it appears that it takes an extra 3+ HP to maintain speed when compared to my lighter and narrower 15s.

I totally agree that the largest difference in mpg is observed by those who glide or coast often but even those who maintain long term highway speeds will see quite a drop. My commute is approx 98% freeway at 60mph-65mph unless I hit the backroads. Using the exact same techniques I acheive approx 47mpg-49mpg with the 17s and 55mpg-57mpg with the 15s. My fuelly records display a larger gap due to a couple really low tanks after high speed and agressive driving with the 17s. Eventually these numbers will settle out and I think my overall loss is around 7mpg. This jives with my earlier experience of a 6mpg loss using different 15" and 17" tires but the 15s (Integritys) were less efficient than the new dB tires.

13. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it acts like a transmission, but it only has one gear ratio so there is not a varible effective ratio, just a variable effective ICE speed. You are 100% right, it still works like a tranny by allowing the engine to operate at a more efficient speed.

14. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a misunderstanding. I guess I'm a purest and don't agree with the statement of infinite "effective" gear ratios, it just has 1 gear ratio, nothing more. No big deal. I have worked with a summing differential a few times in my line of work, it is a very interesting device.

15. Maine Pilot

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    I agree with most of what you said; however, once acceleration is overcome, (let's assume 60 and the car is in a cruising mode, the larger wheel is performing fewer revolutions/mile, as well as the engine's revolutions--thereby saving fuel. Therefore, fuel economy should rise on long, non-stop trips.

OK, my reasoning may be too simplistic, so someone please hit me with something I've missed.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your explanation works for standard fixed gear transmissions. The Prius doesn't work that way and will change engine rpm as needed regardless of the tire size.

I've also noticed that it takes more horsepower to turn the heavier wheels. I have not tested this extensively but casual observation of the Scangauge shows that to maintain speeds of 60mph or more I am using over 15HP. In fact it is closer to 19 HP where the lighter 15" tires only require 12-16 HP to maintain the same speed.

U nfortunatelythe larger diameter tire does not reduce rpm and improve mpg like a regular non-CVT vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  17. Maine Pilot

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    So, what you're saying, is the Prius is in a constant acceleration/deceleration mode, even though you are cruising at a stable speed? Let's say for simplicity sake, we're in the midwest with flat roads. There shouldn't be much variation in engine speed.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused: I don't understand your question.

In a traditional fixed-gear car, tire and engine RPMs are linked. And the engine spins much faster than necessary for steady cruising. And the engine has a strong RPM-related energy loss mechanism. So changing tire diameter / RPM also changes engine RPM, directly changing fuel economy.

In a Prius, this particular loss mechanism has been quashed at several points. Tire and engine RPM are decoupled. In a steady cruise, wheel RPM is set by speed and tire diameter, just like old cars. But engine is controlled to the minimum RPM necessary to produce the needed power. The eCVT is not fixed, but adjusts its effective ratio to match the engine output to the tires. If you change tire size in a way that doesn't change power needed for propulsion, then the eCVT merely changes its effective ratio. Engine speed won't change, and neither does fuel economy.

But there are also other tire-related loss mechanisms, such as rolling resistance and air drag. As F8L points out, his wider performance tires do change these factors -- and probably driver behavior too, due to the fun factor -- and fuel economy suffers.

1 person likes this.
  19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks you for explaining that better than I could, fuzzy.

In my particular situation I switched from a lighter, narrower, smaller diameter tire with less rolling resistance to a heavier, wider, larger diameter tire with higher rolling resistance. The net loss of mpg is due to each of the traits I listed. The only tricky part is the smaller tire causes my speedo to run approximately 2 mph too fast whereas my taller tires are nearly dead accurate. This means that I travel, on average, 2 mph slower with the smaller tires than the taller tires. In this case the tires did not affect mpg. It was my driving at a slower speed that affected mpg.

All of the other traits I listed reduced mpg with the taller tires because they simply require more energy to turn. Whether that energy is in the form of HP from the ICE or stolen kinetic energy which reduces the distance one can glide the end result is reduced mpg.

FWIW, if I drive the same route and with the same conservative techniques my 15" tires net 55-57mpg and my 17" tires net 47-49mpg.

1 person likes this.
  20. TurtleHare

TurtleHare Guest

So I recently relaxed the factory tires for my 2010 Prius v (bigger size) with fierce ZR. the mileage dropped about 5 mpg and when using EV mode the drag is noticeable. The owners manual recommends V rated tires but the dealer insists the resistance between V and Z is negligible. So any opinions on this speed rating issue?