1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire size vs FE, Primacy MxM4/Energy Saver A/S

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by acdii, Dec 28, 2012.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

Debating on either switching out the wheels to 17" and set of the Energy Savers, for roughly $1300 delivered from Tire Rack, or replacing the Badyears that are currently on my car with a set of the Primacy MXM4.

Question now is, will there be much difference between the 17 and 18" wheels and these two types of tires over the LS-2?

Between the two which are better in snow?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will take a long time to recover the cost of the new setup in fuel savings alone. I assume you will sell your 18" wheels to recoup some of the cost?

The 17" Energy Saver A/S will be more fuel efficient than the Primacy MXM4. The MXM4 is a better tire overall but less efficient.

acdii and PriusCamper like this.
  3. acdii

acdii Active Member

Thats what I thought.

I can find cheap steel rims for the car, and mount the same size tire that is on my 2010 as a test to see if the tire size and type does make a difference, and if not, put them on my other car since it needs tires soon, but if they do work out, then I have ugly rims on it. For $15 more each rim I can get ones that look good, and if the tires dont work out, no improvement, then I can always swap them out with snow tires.

The difference in tire size is 1 MPH between the two cars.

If it does work out, the factory rims and tires will go up for sale to recover some if not all the cost.

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

I have given it a lot of thought, there is still the question, is it the tires, or the car. After what it did last night, I am on the fence on whether or not to pursue this, or cut my losses and run. I sent an email to my dealer letting him know how displeased I am with the poor MPG and now an intermittent CEL.

But you are right, even if I were to sell the OEM rims and tires, it wont make up the difference. Considering I paid extra for the 18's to begin with, not by choice, it was what was on the car, if I were to pick up a set off Flea bay, that's still over $900, I would not be able to recover that cost and the $500 or so the premium charge was. I already know Ford wont stand behind this even if I do prove its the tires/wheels.

AFAIC Ford can take the car back, I'll pay for the miles on it, but I really don't think I will ever be happy with this car, not with how difficult it is to even get 39 MPG on it. I found if I drive it lust like I do my 2010, I barely get 34. I don't know what Ford did to make it so difficult, but the 2010-12 Hybrids were so much better.