1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire sound and pull

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TeresaHultz, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TeresaHultz

TeresaHultz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hiya PriusChat members,

I could use more expert opinions on my current conundrum. I have no intention of fixing the problem myself but would like to steer the mechanics to a possible solution. Russ (Prius 2009) has had multiple visits to said mechanic already. Russ recently hit 100,000 miles.

Here's the backround information.
    I purchased four tires a few years ago (guessing) from the same place I'm speaking of below.

I replaced the right-front tire due to a punctured tire wall. Had the alignment corrected and an oil change.

Afterward I quickly noticed a woop-woop sound while driving along with an alignment pull to the left.The sound changed with the speed of the car. I could hear it driving at any speed.

Returned to mechanic; they cross rotated tires. Since the three older tires were of different manufacturer I can tell you they swapped the two front tires. The new tire now is on the left-front.

Afterward, again I noticed the same woop-woop noise and a pull to the right. The sound didn't change.

Returned to same mechanic, they speculated the shocks/struts but found nothing wrong. They found the right-front tire to be unbalanced by 1.5 . I assume all others were fine although I didn't ask. I also didn't ask if they checked the alignment again.

Afterward again I noticed the same sound although different. I hear it most while driving below 40 mph. The pull the left is better but still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Teresa

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should always replace "old" tires in pairs. You can get away with buying a single tire if the tires have less than 5000 miles on them. Since you said you purchased 4 tires a few years ago, the replacement should have been in pairs.

How many miles do you think you have on the old tires? Are they wearing evenly without bald spots on the sidewalls/ends of the tires? You can try putting the 2 old tires in the front, and the 1 new tire with 1 old tire in the back.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a bad tire.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This mechanic is not capable of finding or fixing this problem, which I suspect is a bad wheel bearing. Somewhat classic description.

Try another mechanic.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's tire alright. It's probably defective. Tire noise can mimic bearing noise, but doesn't change on turns like bearing does. To test tire, remove it and put a spare one instead.

6. TeresaHultz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure how many miles but certainly more than 5000. I will take a look at wear patterns. Thanks for your help.

7. TeresaHultz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this suggestion online to self test for a wheel bearing. "While driving down the road about 40 mph, sway the car side to side slowly, shifting the weight of the vehicle from one side to the other. Do not drive crazy or cause the car to spin out, just sway it gently. Notice whether the noise gets louder or softer. If the noise is a little less if you turn right, the damaged bearing may be on the left, or vice versa." I will try this on later today. Thanks for the help.

8. TeresaHultz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can try that. Thanks for your help.

9. TeresaHultz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. Thanks for the help.

10. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I think we have it down to tire or bearing. Hope for tire.

BTW, Click and Clack, the CarTalk guys from NPR, ALWAYS suggested swapping tires around when you have such noise and I should have suggested that first before leaping to bearing....but...again...it does sound to me like bearing.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    certainly, a bearing at 100k isn't out of the question.

12. TeresaHultz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the conclusion report is A NEW TIRE. Haha! You all were right. I gave the mechanic once more to make it right. He did this and checked that and said I honestly don't think you have a problem.
    I asked him to replace the tire. He did graciously and viola! He said "I stand corrected."
    Thanks to all again for your input. I truly helped.

WilDavis likes this.
  13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you've found youself an honest mechanic (a rare thing, these days!)

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I probably should read the rest of the replies first but there really is only ONE answer:
    Find a different tire shop. Preferably one that knows what they are doing.

The symptoms suggest a tire that is out of round or out of true AND one front brake caliper that is sticking.

You should try to help your mechanic ONLY by accurately describing the problem.
    You should NOT try to suggest what the problem IS or what he should do to fix it.

Edit: A tire that is SO BAD that it causes the car to pull to one side should be obvious.......even to Stevie Wonder. :eek: