1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Speed Ratings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ekpolk, Aug 12, 2006.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Two more things. First, Theorist, thanks again for the link to that very interesting pub. Here is a paragraph I found it in it that gets right to the question I asked:
    Second, has anyone here tried a set of the low RR Continentals? I had one set of Continentals years ago, and it wasn't a happy experience. Of course, that's a very poor way to judge how a given set of tires from the same mfr will do today, so looking for some feedback. TIA. [​IMG]

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In general, less rolling resistance means less traction. Less traction and increased rolling resistance may mean a small increase in mpg, but it also will likely mean less stopping distance in an emergency... I think there is a new technology being tested that overcomes this problem but I can't think of it right now. I just think the minimal impact rolling resistance ratings has on fuel consumption, and the accompanying longer stopping distance may not be a reasonable tradeoff.

3. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Aug 19 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]305889[/snapback]</div>
    I'm very happy with the ContiProContacts on our Prius. The grip is very good, especially after breaking in. The handling isn't as sharp as performance tires like Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus or BFG Traction T/A H, but MUCH better than the Integrity. The ride is comfortable, even at 48psi front / 45psi rear. (The maximum sidewall psi is 51.) I haven't owned a quieter tire. Its fun to really hear the hybrid system at work.

The Continental CH95 was and replacement ContiProContact is used as OEM tires by many German car companies, including Audi, VW, and BMW.

Most OEM tires get mediocre reviews. (Bad ones like the Integrity, Firestone FR series, or Dulop SP20 or SP40 get abysmal reviews.) I think its easier to be critical of tires that a car manufacturer stuck us with and easier to be complimentary of tires that we chose. Still, the ContiProContact is better reviewed by users at the TireRack than the popular Michelin MXV4 (plus or S8). The TireRack also tested it and found it pretty good.

Ecojosh has commented very positively on his 17" ContiProContacts in other threads. I feel that they are excellent well rounded grand touring tires with outstanding rolling resistance and good performance in other areas. The only reservations I have is that some reviewers complained of road hazard damage and they don't carry a mileage warranty. Consider a road hazard warranty.

4. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Aug 19 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]305917[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, generally. Of course, I try to find exceptions to general rules. I didn't buy the smallest car I could find even though in general smaller cars get the best mileage. Likewise I didn't buy the car with the weakest acceleration I could find because in general they are the most fuel efficient. Would that have led me to buy a Hummer H1? :eek:

I agree that nobody should buy a car or a tire only by considering one dimension of performance. I also don't look for the loudest, hardest riding, lowest treadwear, highest rolling resistance tire because quiet, comfortable, high treadwear, or low rolling resistance tires tend to offer less traction. Traction is the single most important characteristic of a tire for me, but not the only one.