1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nyprius, Jun 26, 2006.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(White Lightning @ Sep 28 2007, 03:14 AM) [snapback]518894[/snapback]</div>
    No problem White Lightening! Your new tires will make a huge difference in performance!

2. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all for your comprehensive review of the tire issue. This is a great posting. I hope when I replace my tires I can sort it through for myself too. Not sure yet if I will use 195's or 205'S IN THE 60R15 sizing. :)

3. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most all the tire recommendations here have been for the 04 and up 15" wheels. Any input would be appreciated for those of us stuck with the "Classic" body style and 14" wheels. I have to drive 4 miles each day on a gravel road. I need more clearance.... jf

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John Ford @ Sep 29 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]519149[/snapback]</div>
    Hi John, I don't know much about the Classic. But you might try what I did with my 05. In that case, I closely inspected the wheel well with the wheels in several locations. It seemed I could go with a tire that was an inch taller (ie: extends 1/2 inch up into the wheel well) and an inch wider (ie: extends 1/2 inch to the interior side) with little risk of ever hitting the wheel well, even if the suspension came all the way up, for example as when hitting pot hole. Perhaps you could do the same with the Classic. You probably could use a taller tire to get more ground clearance. But I'm not sure. Good luck!

5. djkarrels

djkarrels beermandave

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all, it's time for the great tire change for me as well. The oem goodyears are crap in snow and rain.

About my driving. Approx. 18-19 k a year. We get it all here in Milwaukee. Rain, wind, beautiful days, sleet, snow, but the beer man must make his appointed rounds. The car also goes to the UP (Upper Penisula of Michigan for those of you in Rio Linda), and all over the state of Wisconsin and down to Illinois and Chicago.

I am leaning toward the TT in the 195 size. Makes sense in the ratings, and $$ wise, compared to dropping more $$ per tire.

Convince me otherwise, but not much on the techno babble. I'm a beer guy, not a rocket scientist. :D

Thanks for all the work on the site, much appreciated.

6. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The TT's' perform well in Wisconsin winters.
    Massive improvement over the stock tires.

7. IMHYBRID

IMHYBRID New Member

Thanks for all the info, Im thinking of going with the contiextremecontact in the p205/55r15 as they will fit rim size 5.5-7.5. prius rims are 6.5. revs per mile are 859. anyone try 205/55r15 tires yet? Jim

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 205s are too wide, unless you're willing to trade significant mileage for dry road handling.

9. IMHYBRID

IMHYBRID New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 3 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]520686[/snapback]</div>
    The contiextremecontact have a good rolling resistance rating, according to consumers report they should get 1.1 miles per gallon better on a non hybrid car. I fig. any loss for width should be offset by best for rolling resistance.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The TripleTred literature shows the Dry section of the tread at the outside edges, which since my tires show more wear there than anyplace else explains the slippage I've been seeing when doing standing starts that didn't use to slip.

I do feel a little better now that the wheel bearing is replaced and there's no more "tire noise", but when these wear out I'm NOT getting new TTs. I think Michelin needs to be tried next, and hopefully the whole tire will grip the road and not just certain parts...

11. mmoore

mmoore New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beermandave @ Oct 1 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]520113[/snapback]</div>
    FYI, in case you are living near a Costco, they will be having a $60 rebate on all Michelin and many Goodyear tires starting 10/8/07 and ending 10/28/07

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Oct 3 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]520803[/snapback]</div>
    Hi MikePaul,

I think the TT literature may be a little disingenuous when it talks about the Dry section being on the outside edges. I think it's true that that's where it has the best dry traction (finer, more normal thread pattern), but it's not true that on a dry road it's only the outside edges that grip the road.

That said, I don't doubt that you're feeling a little slippage on your TTs now from a standing start. But I think that may be more attributable to general wear of the tires. Curious, how many miles did you go on the TTs before you started feeling that slippage? One reason I ask is that I have about 30,000 miles on the TTs I have on my other car (Volvo 850), and I haven't noticed any slippage yet --- they still seem to grip the road like glue.

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 3 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]520847[/snapback]</div>
    I think you'll have a few thousand more miles. I'd have to do a post search to find where I started to mention the slippage, but I'd guess it was noticeable somewhere after 35,000 miles. It's the traction control that shows it most, so maybe your 850 won't complain.

The wet slippage at intersections, which is where a lot of rubber is left anyway to cause traction problems, has also picked up, but with the drought it hasn't been as much pain...

14. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We got our first BIG rain in Portland, OR area yesterday, and my Goodyear Integrities with 16,000 miles on them started slipping all over the place. First I noticed was going up HWY 26 West from downtown toward the zoo. As I exited the Vista Ridge Tunnel, going about 45 mph, my Prius started sliding side to side to the point I could have easily spun out. Fortunately, I know how to steer out of a skid. I guess a lot of oil must accumulate on the road surface right at the exit of a tunnel. On the way home in the evening, Traction Control was kicking in accelerating away from red lights under only light acceleration, and then coming back down the hill from the zoo on Hwy 26, I barely tapped my brakes and the tracktion control light came on as I felt a "Not connected to the Road" feeling again.

I am considering Nokian WR, Goodyear Tripple Treads, Yokahama Avid or Michelin Hydoedge. Size will be 195 R60 15. Any suggestions? Meanwhile, I will keep reading here.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HydroEdges are excellent for rain but their tread is very close to a summer tyre. Also they're a bit noisy (reading the reviews).

WRs are a great all rounder. Not good on ice but great in snow and rain. Dry is decent

TripleTreds are good in the rain. Haven't heard much on their snow/ice performance. Can get noisy as the tyre wears down.

I haven't researched on the Avid so I can't comment.

16. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 13 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]538995[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tidland,
    I got all worked up and went out over lunch break and had the Nokian WRs installed in the 195-60R-15 size. It was only 1/2 mile back to work, but I could tell the difference already. I will get to drive them at highway speeds on the way home tonight, and then tomorrow, we are supposed to get another downpour.

The tires I just bought are not the latest Nokian WR-G2 design, but you know what they say about a bird in the hand!

I heard a rumor that we will be getting more snow than usual here in Portland, OR, which is why I went for the Nokian WR with the Snowflake emblem on the side, but time will tell.

17. meb

meb New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Nov 13 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]539064[/snapback]</div>

I have yet to change my tires - very soon - but I have just under 100,000 miles of experience with the Exalto PE2 on another car. Steering response is not great when compared with other ultra-high peformance tires and hydroplane resistance is a little above average. However, these are quiet tires, have exceptional dry grip - once they take a set - and posses just silly wet grip. These are not the all-season variety, but I have to imagine the two are very close where wet weather traction is concerned.

100,000 miles = two sets. I purchased these over directional performance tires for my other car because they can be rotated, and therefore, will last longer.

18. Prof

Prof Junior Member

35k and Time to Try TT's

Seems that the consensus favors the TT's in the 195 size.

Anyone want to scream at me before I jump?

19. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thoroughly surprised at the change to ride quality when I installed Continental GT 205/60HR-15 ContiProContact tires all the way around my 2006. They do not balloon out from the rims as some other brands do. They also fit nicely in the wheel openings. On my 2001 Prius I had a great deal of difficulty when I put 205s on the car and they stuck out from the side, tossing dirt and mud all up sides (front and rear) of my pretty white car.

The 06 does not exhibit this problem. Tires are inflated at 46psi front / 43psi rear. The tires are able to accommodate up to 51psi.

Pro:
    Tire noise decreased
    Stiffer ride (if you value performance over smoothness, this is a pro)
    Braking traction is increased without tripping up the ABS
    Mild noticeable benefit in cornering (probably because the sidewall is ever-so-slightly shorter)
    AA traction rating
    A temperature rating
    130mph speed rating
    No effect on the tire pressure sensor

Con:
    They're still on 15 inch wheels :D
    Expense; while not too pricey, they were substantially more than OEM tires.

~ dan ~

20. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I won't scream. I got a set of Triple Treads 195 60 15 last week and I really like them. I haven't had an opportunity to try them in really inclement weather yet, but they feel solid and they seem a bit quieter than the Hydroedges they replace.
    I got some cable chains yesterday for a trip up to Donner Summit next week. I'm hoping I don't have to use them.