1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nyprius, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think any tyre is substantially more than the OEM tyres.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone here is going to scream "Don't jump!"

PriusChatters seem to recognize that the TTs are an excellent choice (beloved by a lot of PriusChatters, top rated by TireRack customers and Consumer Reports for passenger all season tires) among, and not to the exclusion of, other excellent choices.

BTW, to further refine the consensus, I think the consensus here favors the 195/60 size (as opposed to 195/65).

I say "Jump Now!" --- before you hydroplane yourself into an accident.

Good luck.

3. Xen

Xen New Member

It's Time!

I'm still on the stock integreties with around 20K on them, they've always given me a poor ride - most notably was driving from Cali to TX in an ice storm and heavy rains - very, very frightening but we made it.

Being in Texas now I don't have need for snow rated tires, but do need ones that can handle lower temps (40s), rain and summer temps (100s + humidty).

What would be the recommendations based on the favs listed using stock wheels?

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What would be the recommendations based on the favs listed using stock wheels?[/QUOTE]

As mentioned in several places on this post, I think you're best off if you upgrade to 195/60R15 tires. All things being equal, they will significantly improve handling, safety and appearance with little to no mileage loss. This size is closest to the OEM 855 revolutions per mile. So changes to odo readings and ground clearance are minimal.

Regarding tire type, almost anything is better than the Integrity. If I had to do it over again, I would replace the OEM tires before I left the dealer. The prime life of the Prius is when it's new. Why have garbage tires on the car when it's in its prime.

I've had great experience with the TT's. They are a huge improvement over the Integrity. I went from being very nervous on the highway in bad weather with the Integrities, to feeling safe and comfortable with the TT's.

However, I've got 30,000 miles on the TT's. The tread is still good. But I don't think I'll get the 80,000 miles claimed for the tire. The tire might last that long. But I think the tread would be too worn out to be safe when you're getting anywhere near 80,000 miles. Based on current wear, I might replace the TT's at 50,000 miles.

I might try a new tire too. There are many other excellent tires for the Prius mentioned on this and other posts.

5. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyo observe they are the best!

6. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2001 I used to use Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires in 195/65. On my 2006, as I've said, I'm using Continental 205/60s and I'm quite impressed with them. Still getting great mileage (remember, a Prius is a video game complete with a way to keep score :D) and they don't stick out too much.

Now I'm looking into wheels though, and I am kinda peeved because I want bigger wheels (which means new tires even though my current tires have maybe 150 miles on them).

So if anyone's interested in a quartet of brand new 205/60R15s mounted on stock Prius wheels, let me know.

~ dan ~

7. Prof

Prof Junior Member

Bought them...appreciate all of the input on this thread...

8. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Also, here's the miata.net calculator that a lot of people use:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Funny thing I noticed about tire size calculators is that if you plug the same numbers into different calculators, the resulting calculations will slightly differ. I would have thought that there would be uniformity in the assignment/allocation of values to the same tire size.

Also, I don't remember whether it was previously mentioned in this thread, but I believe that international guidelines permit car manufacturers to calibrate speedometers/odometers to over-read by as much as 10%. So if your car has the OEM tires, when the speedometer shows 55 mph you may actually be traveling at 50 mph, and if the odometer shows 55 miles traveled you may actually have traveled 50 miles.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The calculators use a generic value for diameter and revs/mile (otherwise known as circumference) for each tire size. As you have observed, different calculators use different values for each tire size. The only way to get accurate fit for your particular application is to find the specification for diameter and revs/mile for the stock tires on your car and then look for tires that are as close as possible to the values for the stock tires. My personal decision criteria is not more than .1 inch in diameter and 3% in revs/mile off from the values for the stock tires.

Tirerack is a great resource for comparing tires since they maintain a database of manufacturer published specification data for each tire they sell.

11. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a yard / meterstick and two rulers to read tire diameter (I <3 improvisation). Then, since a mile is quite a few multiples of tire circumference, I use a high-precision conversion to get the number of revs per mile, such as:

[ 63360 (inches / mile) ] / [ d * π (inches / revolution) ] = r (revolutions / mile)

If you have to approximate for π, remember you're looking at 500-1000 revolutions per mile, so if necessary approximate π to at least five decimal places (3.14159) to avoid rounding error.

~ dan ~

12. pascoprius

pascoprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. pascoprius

pascoprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Pascoprius!

My mileage stayed about the same with the TT's as with the Integrities. I drive the Prius like a normal car, generally on the faster side. I don't try to maximize mileage through pulse/glide, etc. In the summer I get about 45-46 mpg. In the winter, I get about 40-42 mpg. Most of my driving is on the highway, often in the left lane driving with faster moving traffic. I'm sure I could get better mileage of I put some effort into it.

15. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    agreed!

Even More Agreed!!!!!

While my mileage did not change but I got supremely better handeling when I switched to the TT's, I now have 46,000 MI on the tires and am looking for something to replace them with. To me, that life is unacceptable for an 80,000 MI tire. However, I am thinking that it is not worth trying to get Goodyear to prorate the tires because I would then have to either get another set of TT's or ComforTreds (Which I hated on my other car).

I am just beginning my search so all insight is appreciated. What does everyone else think about the low tread life?:confused:

Nyprius, have you replaced your TT's yet? If so, what are you using? I am in Chicago so I need something that will perform on snow as well as during the summer months.

16. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well, it did not take me long to find a short list of possible replacements for my tires: (No particular order)

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
    Bridgestone Potenza G 009
    BFGoodrich Traction T/A T
    Kumho Solus KR21
    Yokohama AVID TRZ
    Michelin HydroEdge

Based on ratings / price, I think that I will be purchasing the Kumho Solus KR21. That choice is based on price, reviews, and warranty. At $48 each on Tire Rack, even if they only last 40,000 miles, it is a steal. (They are rated for 85,000 MI)

Sears Auto is listed as a Kumho retailer and is located right behind my house so I will be calling to see if they can match the Tire Rack price. If not, I will order from Tire Rack but it looks like they are backordered.

Anyone have these tires? I found a couple of Corolla owners reviews but no Pirus'.

17. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Butchbs1985, my TT's have about 30,000 miles on them. There is still plenty of tread left and I'm very happy with their performance. They continue to be excellent on snow and ice, which we've had a lot of in Saratoga Springs lately. They're also great on wet and dry pavement.

When I said I'd probably replace them at 50,000 miles, I was just guessing. If the tread we still deep enough, I'd keep them longer.

I just looked over the Consumer Reports ratings for all season, performance and ultra high performance. The TT is still number one in all season. Based on my experience, that seems like a valid rating. There are many other good tires shown in all three categories, including some of the ones you mentioned.

I haven't done enough research to develop any ideas on a new favorite tire. When I started this post, I did lots of research, and liked the TT best.

However, the TT's are expensive. For about half the price you probably could get several tires that are nearly as good. I didn't care too much about price though. Tire price is small in relation to the car price. And tires make such a big difference in performance. I decided to get the best I could find regardless of price. I'm not saying TT's are the best. Just that they're among the best.

18. NOPEC

NOPEC New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had four new Michelin Primacy MXV4's put on my 08 basic yesterday. I went with the 195/60/HR15 size. I decided to replace the stock Goodyears even though my Prius has only 2000 miles on it. Huge improvement in both cornering and highway performance. The meter says that I picked up an extra 2 dBA in interior noise and I think I'm off maybe a mile or two per gallon, (from 40 to 39). I have the BT Plate on order and the journey continues...

19. butchbs1985

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I too did LOVE the TT's. Just dissapointed in the tread life vs. the cost. Once I get the new ones on, (haven't ordered yet) I will post as to what differences I notice.

20. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice move! If I had to do it all over again, I would have replaced the Integrities right from the start as well. Getting the 195/60's was smart too. I think that's the best size for the Prius.

Here are a few other things I've done to my Prius and would do again if I bought a new one:

-- Back up light bulbs. the back up lights are really dim. You can get ones that are more than twice as bright on this site: Sigma Automotive – Toyota Hybrid Prius 2004 - 2006 OEM & JDM auto accessories
    the bulbs are blue and look cool in the fixture.
    -- Mud flaps. the site above sells them.
    -- Ding bars. I had the dealer put black ding bars on my blue Prius. I like them better than the color matched ones. They break up the solid blue and match other black trim on the car.
    -- Front and rear ploybra. Dealer installed.
    -- Disconnect middle speaker on dash. Makes system sound better.
    -- Turn off reverse and seat belt beepers. Instructions on PC.

I also had a handicap retrofitter move my front seats back 3 inches.

Good luck with your new Prius!