1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nyprius, Jun 26, 2006.

1. NOVA-Prius

NOVA-Prius Superbad Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After reading all the threads here on PC about tires, I decided to go ahead and replace the stock Integritys after just 200 miles of use with four new 195/60/15 Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my 2008 pkg 6. I think the sales guy at the tire shop thought I was nuts for throwing away new tires, but he confirmed that the Michelin tires are the best and the Primacys are a smart choice. (Maybe that was sales BS, but I made it clear that I was choosing between the GY TTs and the Primacys, both of which he carried, so he knew he had a sale either way, and he wasn't making more money on the Primacys. He voted for the Primacys based on what I was looking for in comfort and performance, and because he believes that the Michelin construction is superior to GY.) I just had them put on yesterday, so have only had one drive in the car since. However, I was amazed by the difference in the ride and am very glad that I made the change. If I take a small hit on MPG, I will still consider it a smart upgrade. The car is quieter, smoother, and feels like it is solid on the road rather than bouncy and jittery. The difference is unmistakable. Thanks, all, for the helpful insight and advice regarding this great little car.

2. hergertr

hergertr Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have tried to keep the mileage down on my 2004 prius and have only 37K on it. Its about time to replace the OEM tires and I've gone through all the posts in this forum. I agree that 195-60-15's would be the best replacement size so I need to decide the best all around tire. I checked on replacements at Costco and they refused to put anything but 185-65-15's on. I checked Toyota sites in Australia and UK for OEM tire size thinking if I showed them that they would install the larger size. I couldn't find anything referencing tire size. Any suggestions on where I can find specifications for tire size?

The other concern I have is the mileage. The November 2006 issue of Comsumer Reports lists the best rolling resistance for the Michelin MXV4 Plus and the Continental ContiPremier Contact. The Goodyear Triple Treads that many are advocating were rated only average. Is anyone aware of more current rolling resistance numbers or any other source of that information? I have my current Integrities inflated to 40 psi and get 46-48 mpg in the winter and 51-53 in the summer, I drive conservatively and I live in a fringe suburban area where I drive on urban freeways and suburban streets with a little city driving. I'd like to get better performance and I'm willing to take a small hit on mileage. Snow driving is not an issue but rain is. Any further suggestions on an all around tire?

3. spf

spf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You might try going to tirerack.com and reading the customer reviews/survey results for a multitude of tires. They are quite revealing as there are many tire variables that are reported and rated by customers and then summarized by tirerack. I like it because the survey results are numeric and are from regular drivers like you and me.

4. spf

spf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    -- Turn off reverse and seat belt beepers. Instructions on PC.

How did you find out how to turn off the reverse beep? I'm not sure what "instructions on pc" means.

Thanks!

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi spf,

"instructions on pc" means use the search function of PriusChat and/or search the list of title threads in the Knowledge Based Articles forum of PriusChat for relevant threads.

Here's one: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...how-eliminate-reverse-beep-seatbelt-beep.html

But if that thread doesn't suffice, you'll have to search PriusChat for others.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

6. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    195 is the OEM width in Europe and Australia. It's an option width in Japan and the US. If Costco won't put on 195/60R15's, I'd go somewhere else. Plenty of places sell for nearly the same price.

Both tires you mentioned seem good, thought it doesn't seem they'd do as well in the snow as TT's or some others.

I've had the TT's on my Prius for over 30,000 miles. I get the same mileage as I did with the OEM's. Even if I got a little lower mileage, that's a tradeoff I'd gladly make for greatly improved safety, handling and looks.

7. hergertr

hergertr Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where is it published what the OEM tire size is for Europe and Australia?

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For Australia, it's in the Toyota Prius Australia website -- it has 15" wheels, and the tire size is 195/60/15:

Toyota Australia: Prius - Base specifications

For Europe, I believe the individual countries' Prius websites only say that the wheels are 16". But they're the same wheels as on the US Touring Edition. And the tire size is also the same as on the US Touring Edition -- 195/55/16 (you can find that by googling e.g. "UK Prius Tyre Size").

If you want to show Costco something for your 15" wheels, show them the Prius Australia website's specifications page stating that the standard tire size is 195/60/15. If you want to show them a US example that 195 width tires will fit, show them the US Touring Edition tire specs of 195/55/16.

If Costco still gives you trouble, then as nyprius said, just go somewhere else. There are plenty of places that will put 195/60/15 tires on your rims.

Good luck.

9. drewtx

drewtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 2008 Touring, with stock Bridgestone Turanza EL400.
    About 3000 miles on the clock.
    Slow puncture in my left-rear that cannot be repaired.
    So I need to buy a new tire.

Based on this thread, I'm considering the Mich MXV4+ or Goodyear TT.

I kinda drive my Prius like I stole it :) But the Turanzas seem 'ok' - *EXECPT* when lauching and Traction Contol kicks in. *IF* I get new tyres, I'd onlly want to get just 2 and put them on the front for improved traction from the line.

My options seem to be:
    a) Buy 1 replacement Turanza (no improvement)
    b) Buy 2 TT or MXV4+, and put them on the front.

I do have some questions though:

1) How do y'all rate the Turanzas? Most of the complaints here relate to the Integrities.
    2) Is it viable to buy just 2 new tires - or will it upset the balance if I put 2 stickier tyres on the front and leave the orginal Turanzas on the back?

Looking at TireRack and DisccountTire - they don't seem to have either TT of MXV4+ in the stock 195/55/16 (Touring).

Any suggestions?

10. cephas

cephas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone ever try the Bridgestone Performance tire?:target:

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I upgraded to Michelin Hydroedges in the 195-60 size the other day.

The car feels like it's riding on rubber tires instead of the wooden feel of the Integrities. Those original tires might have made it to 28K miles; I now am just shy of 25K.

I've got perhaps 120 miles on the new tires, and have reset the MPG reading on the display. It's showing about 2mpg less than my usual 42, but it's too soon to tell.

My tire dealer cautioned about an MPG loss---which we here on PC know---and he's asked me to call with my test results so he can make better recommendations to other hybrid owners.

12. chefboyarlee

chefboyarlee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have narrowed my decision down to Tracklite 2 rims even though they look very similar to the oem rims (can't afford the eco drives) and Falken Ziex 912 (chosen for the price). Does this make sense from an MPG/financial standpoint since I wouldn't be buying them for a better look.

The traklite's only come in a 15x7 rim so I feel that a 205/60/15 would be the best size. This is a 30# combo. Versus the oem rim plus 195/60/15 tires which would be a 34# combo.

Would 4# per wheel save me anything in gas mileage? Do I lose anything in aero resistance with a 205 vs a 195? Should I expect to save maybe 3 mpg over the 50 I'm getting now. 6% savings equals roughly $2 per tank. I fill up maybe 1 per week. It would take me almost 8 years to recoup the cost of the rims. Is my assumption correct about the 3mpg savings as this is the crux of the equation? On first glance I should just get a nice set of 195/60/15 tires and call it a day.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It depends on what else you are trying to do. 205/60-15 tires will have some mpg penalty due to the wider tire width resulting in more resistance. (There is also a rotational mass issue.) But wider tires can provide resistance to side winds, shorten stopping distance and improve cornering ability. The way to offset the mpg hit is with less rotational mass, which is where the Motegis come in. My personal objective was to gain the benefits of the wider tires (I fitted Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto A/S in 205/60-15) without suffering the mpg hit. With the Motegi & Michelin combination, before and after drives over the same route and doing a calculated test of before and after fuel consumption, I was able to achieve a ~1 mpg improvement over the OEM Touring wheels & tires. One could argue whether I truly achieved a mpg gain, since ~1 mpg is within the margin of error; but my objective was to not suffer a mpg hit from the wider wheels & tires.

If all you are trying to achieve is to improve your mileage, fit the lightest tire you can to the OEM wheels that doesn't change the overall diameter spec so your speedometer and odometer accuracy doesn't suffer.

Hope this helps.

14. psgold1

psgold1 Junior Member

I'm just posting this so priuschat will stop bugging me that I haven't posted yet.

15. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :pop2: See, it wasn't so painful, was it?

My Turanza's for my 07 Touring have 29k on them, and they look like I can get 5K more at least. I'm looking forward to changing them.

Lee:cool:

16. kfs2840

kfs2840 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    who makes TT tires?

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Goodyear. Full name is Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lee (and other Touring Edition owners),

You might want to check out this sister thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/37637-touring-edition-tire-upgrade.html

One issue you and other Touring Edition owners will face is the limited number of tires made in the Touring Edition OEM size (same is true for Standard Prius owners).

19. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :car: Thanks, Tom, that thread is just what I was looking for. I pulled off my back tires today while installing my mud flaps (piece of cake, BTW) and noticed the treadwear indicators still deeper in the tread than I thought. The rubber compounds near the edges have this alligator skin look to them like they were aging. Maybe the perfect replacement tire will be available when I need a new set.

Lee:cool:

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Touring Tire Replacement/Upgrade

The thread isn't of that much use other than showing the OP Touring owner's apparently successful replacement of his Touring OEM 195/55/16 Bridgestone Turanzas with 205/55/16 Pirelli P4's, and the resulting speedometer and odometer underreading issues associated therewith.

The big issue for you will be whether to stick with the Touring OEM size tire and the very limited variety of tires available in that size, or to switch to a different more standard size like 205/55/16 for which there are literally 3 or 4 times more variety of tires available than the OEM size.

I don't think I've read anywhere on PriusChat yet of a Touring Prius owner replacing the Turanzas with a different tire in the same OEM 195/55/16 size. In that OEM size, the Turanzas is one of the cheapest available ... the others are usually higher performance or run flats which cost a lot more and may have their own issues like extremely stiff ride due to the stiffer run flat sidewalls. I wonder what Prius owners in Europe are doing regarding replacement tires (I understand that the OEM size tire on the EU Prius is the same size as the OEM 195/55/16 on the Touring Prius).