1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nyprius, Jun 26, 2006.

1. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

Does the the 195/60R15 need new rims?

2. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Quick lesson learned about larger tires.

I just returned from a friend's home, after she and I had gone to a tire shop - where they balked and refused, then finally agreed to mount some 195/60 R15 Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires on her 2006 Prius.

She wanted me to drive over there, then drive back, so I could see/feel the tire differences, if any. Wellll, let me say there were a LOT of differences!

Turanza tires made the car feel more solid and secure. We had "stock" inflation of 35/33 - so I did not get a chance to see what the tires would do a few pounds inflated.

There was a bit more "bite" when turning the wheels at low speeds, but aside from that, the ride was smoother and quieter, the handling seemed so much more secure, and I'll have to say that there were no "negatives" involved.

Don't know what y'all feel about the Turanzas, but in this case, I think she made a wise choice. When we got back to her place, I urged her to take the car out by herself for a few miles, which she did. When she returned, she was all smiles. "Drives like a combination sports car and luxury car," she said. OK - good enough. . .

When/if I ever get our new Prius, I shall away to a tire store, and dump the Integreties!

3. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 21 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]466104[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the feedback!

The stock 6 inch wide/15 inch high rims on the Prius can handle up to a 225 width tire. There is no problem upgrading from a 185 to a 195 on the OEM Prius rims. There's plenty of room in the wheelwells. Many Prius's around the world are driving on 195 tires with no problem.

As you saw in my opening note on this post, switching from the 185/65 integrity to the 195/60 TT was like day and night. Part of the huge improvement in handling was the fact that I was replacing old tires with new. Almost any new tire will feel better than the ones coming off the car. However, I'm sure that was only part of the reason.

There are many tires that provide hugely better performance than the Integrity. The TT is one of the better ones. I think they're great. I've had no problems in rain, snow or ice since putting them on. That was definitely not the case with the Integrity.

If I had to do it over again, I would have changed the tires when the car was new before I drove it off the lot. My recommendation is upgrade to the 195/60 (or 195/65 or 205/60 as others have done). The wider tires are clearly going to provide better performance, safety and looks. As noted above, cars of the Prius size and weight usually have wider tires than 185.

If you're buying a new car, upgrading the tires is a small price to pay to have far better performance, safety and looks during the first 25k to 40K miles of the car's life. Why tolerate low quality, poor performing tires during the best part of the Prius's life.

If you look around on PC, you'll see nearly everyone reports about the same mileage with the 195. I"m getting slightly better mileage. I think mileage has more to do with tire quality than a slightly narrower tread.

BTW, some tire sales places say they will only put on the 185 OEM size. If you sound like you know what you're talking about and push them a little, most will give you the tires they want. They'll try to talk you into the 185. But if they realize their options are, sell you the 195's or sell you nothing, they'll usually make the right choice. Pointing out that the Prius comes with 195 as OEM or option in Japan, Europe, Australia and the US, will help convince them. If the tire seller still refuses to put on the 195, I suggest going somewhere else, even if you have to pay a few dollars more. The improved performance will be worth it.

4. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent info, for which I thank you! Already copied down the original posting dealing with tire sizes, etc. for my future reference.

Unless somebody on this forum has a good suggestion about getting a "trade-in" on the OEM tires, I guess I have to take a bath on them? Or does anybody know if the likes of Sam's Club, Goodyear or Firestone do give allowances for tires with less than 50 miles on them? Waste is such a horrible thing - especially if it's my money! (grin)

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could also post your tires on craigslist, or here in the private sales forum since lots of us drive around and feel perfectly comfortable on the Integrities.

6. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 22 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]466417[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again!

I've seen several posts on PC from people who upgraded their tires before accepting delivery of their new Prius. The dealer gave them credit for the Integrities since the tires were new and could be resold -- probably to some unfortunate, unaware Prius owner replacing old Integrities... :)

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do these sizes and specs apply to the base model Prius, or the Touring model?

Before winter, we may be looking at upgrading the tires on our Prius, as we do get a LOT of rain here, and some winter ice/snow.

Hydroplaning and road grippiness is my main concerns.

8. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jun 22 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]466426[/snapback]</div>
    By that, sir, do you mean they got the new and larger tires at the dealer - or swapped out at a tire store, and then brought the Integrities back to the dealer? I'm doubting that a T dealer would put larger tires on the Prius???

9. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PC-12 Fan @ Feb 28 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]398012[/snapback]</div>
    I bought General Exclaim UHP 215/45ZR-17 (18lbs.) from America's Tire store and 17" Scion chrome wheels from eBay. I have not had any problems with bigger size wheels, except about a 2 MPG hit. Picture link here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;#entry421384

Sherril

10. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 22 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]466444[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. I believe those who swapped their tires at the dealer before picking up their new car were putting on the same size tires. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure some dealers will put on the 195's. They know the touring model comes with the 195. My dealer, Westborough MA Toyota, said they'd put on the 195/60. They didn't hesitate. But this was when I had 25K on the tires.

If a Toyota dealer won't swap the tires, I think some tire dealers would give you credit if you turn in a new set of integrities. Even if they don't, I think it's worth paying for better tires if necessary. It's a small cost in relation to the price of the car. But it makes a big difference in performance, safety and looks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jun 22 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]466442[/snapback]</div>
    The wheelwells of the base and Touring models are almost certainly the same. So the discussions in the post apply to both models. However, the Touring model already has 195 tires.

A better tire, such as the TT, CT, HE or many others, will help with hydroplaning and road grip, whether you chose the 185 or 195. However, all thinigs being equal, the 195 provides provides a better road grip under nearly all road conditions. That's why higher end cars use wider tires.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jun 22 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]466498[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, thank you :)

12. wblovett

wblovett New Member

Can you put the touring tire from the 2007 (195/55r16) on the Camry Hybrid rim, which is a 16x6.5? Or, do you have to get new tires?

13. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill_Lovett @ Jun 24 2007, 03:28 AM) [snapback]466913[/snapback]</div>
    I don't understand why you're asking this on many different threads.
    It is very clear that Camry Hybrid rims (PCD 114.3 mm) won't fit on Prius (PCD 100 mm).

Ken@Japan

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill_Lovett @ Jun 23 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]466913[/snapback]</div>
    As Ken points out, a Camry rim wouldn't fit on a Prius. However, you probably could put a Prius Touring tire on a Camry Hybrid rim since they're both 16 inches. But it would make the Camry handle a lot worse since the OEM Camry tire is 215/60R16. It would be a bad idea to use a tire that's 20 mm narrower than the OEM size. Also, the 195/55R16 is about 15% shorter than the 215/60R16. Using it on the Camry would increase bottoming out risk.

15. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I'm surprised so many people are having trouble getting non-185 tires.

I had no trouble getting my Toyota dealer's parts dept to order Kazera KZ-V 16x7 wheels with ComforTred 205/60 HR16's pre-mounted from TireRack. They gave me TireRack's pricing, free shipping, $10 mounting, free disposal of the old (37K) Integrities, free 24-month road hazard warranty, took a $20 coupon and gave me another $20 coupon for the next set. Great deal, no hassle at all, and the same shop still stands behind the car since they sold & installed them. :)

16. oceanaction

oceanaction New Member

Interesting information. Questions: Does the stock tire rim fit the Falken Ziez 205/60R15's, and did this raise the rear end height up at all?

Thx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomKahn @ Jun 27 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]277445[/snapback]</div>

17. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Driving in my area usually involves dedicated snow tires in winter. With that in mind, what would be the recommended tire for high mpg as opposed to all- (=no) season tires?

18. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Jul 5 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]473554[/snapback]</div>
    umm... the Michelin Symmetry P225/60R16? It has the lowest reported RRC of 160-plus tires. Of course, to get the reported RRC 4/ of .00615, the test tires were overinflated to 47 psi (they're rated to 44)...standard procedure for testing rolling resistance.

Not that I'm recommending these. They seem to rate poorly among current owners at TireRack.

In the P195/65R15, the 5 tested tires I found reported RRC 4/ numbers of:
    BF Insignia SE 200 89S .0076
    Goodyear Integrity .00955
    GY ComforTred .01139
    GY Regatta 2 .01253
    BF Affinity LH30 89H .0126

but frankly I'm not recommending any of these either (though we really like our ComforTred 205/55-16's).

After some fairly obscure research, I figured out the whole "rolling resistance coefficient" thing to my satisfaction, at least for the moment, and it got so involved I decided to post in the Technical Discussion forum:
    http://priuschat.com/LRR-tires-and-RRC-4-data-t35624.html

You could try playing around with the data-sorting in the xls I uploaded with that topic.

I must admit, as abstract as the numbers actually are, I can understand why no one is rushing to study up on them, or to promote the RRC numbers as a way of selecting LRR tires.

A few basic problems with the tests:
    They test with the tires overinflated (3 psi over sidewall's max-pressure rating).
    They test only when already running warm, at 80 kph only, in a straight path on a drum.
    No effort is made to check or describe the contact patch under these conditions.

The only way an RRC will give you any useful info is in comparing selected tires in the exact same width/aspect-ratio/wheel-diameter... even then, the weakest-tread tire will deform the most, and tend to show the best score.

That said, within an exact width/aspect-ratio/wheel-diameter, the reported numbers do seem to give a telling rank of which tires have better LRR performance.

Cheers,
    Bob

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 5 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]473818[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Bob. After studying your speadsheet, I can finaly see why so many people are choosing the GY Confortred. Now, I am considering the 195/R65 size. It seems to have a fairly good balance of features with 19 lb weight, A traction, 700 treadwear and RRC/4 that is just over 0.01. Now I must go look over some more reviews of this tire.

20. dkit

dkit Junior Member

Would you use 205/65R15?

Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jun 26 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]276822[/snapback]</div>