1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Wear on edges

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bnaccs, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Bridgestone Ecopias(Ep20s) have 26,000 miles on them and are wore on the outer edges. Both sides are worn. I heard this may be to under inflation. I go to Discount Tire and they set all my tires at 37psi. Is this too low. The door says 35 front and 33 rear. Do I need more air for them to wear evenly? Also I have ordered Michelin Energy Savers. Discount will set them at 37, or should I add more air so this type of wear does not happen? I plan on getting an alignment just in case, but really don't think I need one. There is no pull to either side and the wheel is straight.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this should not happen at 37 psi. how often do you check the pressure? perhaps it is going down in between? what is it when it is raised back to 37? are all 4 tires wearing the same?

3. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I check it every couple of months. The tires on the front seem to show more wear, after rotations.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like they are deflating between checks. get yourself a small compressor and gauge and check them once a week. you'll save a ton on new tires. add 2 psi to the front no matter what total psi you decide on to reflect the difference in factory recommendations which accounts for the extra weight of the ice.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you drive mostly in city and corner a lot, it's expected in front tires. Higher pressure, 40+ psi, and regular rotations should prevent that. Alignment before new tires is always a good idea to prevent abnormal wear.

6. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My experience is that when I use the sidewall pressures I get almost none of this sort of wear. Tires last MUCH longer. I agree need to reduce the rear two pounds compared to front.

7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It is not recommend to use the pressure marking on the sidewall of the tire. It is the maximum psi the tire could bear. A lot of people think it is the pressure to keep for the tires. The more pressure you put in the tire, the less contact patch you have on the tire with the road. The higher than recommended pressure will reduce the wear on the corner of the tire because it raise up the tire but you lose on your braking distance. You may save a little on fuel consumption but if you can avoid an accident by stopping just few inches shorter with the proper inflation, your savings will be a lot more.
    I would only allow a 10% difference between the actual tire pressure and what is indicated on the door sticker.
    Going with the maximum allowed on the sidewall is simply wrong and dangerous.

8. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For what it is worth - and with all due respect - I honestly believe the content of the last post is completely incorrect. I'll agree it is what most people believe. Do what you want. I want to also say that I have run my tires at 60/58 with no issues of any kind except improved performance and improved fuel economy.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Energy Saver A/S is a very comfortable tire but a little sloppy at low pressures. I,m not going to argue about over inflation but I was pretty happy with my tires set at 44/42psi from a handling perspective. This means the pressure will be higher as temps rise but I don't mind running high pressure. Stopping distance is not severely decreased. *shrug* if you're not a hyper miler I see no reason to go any higher than 38/36psi or 40/38psi. That is a nice range for appropriate handling and tire wear as well as general comfort.

You will be happy with the tire. It's my favorite. :)

10. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What I'd like to say is that car manufacturers don't just randomly pick a number as their recommended tire pressure. The number represents a balance of safety, performance and fuel consumption. Yes, you can run your car with higher, or even a lot higher, than their recommended PSI without any problem when you only drive on a straight line without ever need to stop. However, it is when the unexpected situation happens that makes the difference. For example, if you have to slam on the brake and bring the car to a panic stop, the weight of your car will shift to the front tires. The last thing you want to hear is your front tire(s) explode because of pressure overloading to the front.
    Like F8L's posting above, there is really no need to go beyond 38/36 or 40/38. It is not what most people believe in but it is a safety factor we should take in consideration other than just saving a few dollar on fuel consumption, or to achieve a subjective improved performance.
    For me, safety is paramount.

alekska likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not to make light of the OP's question, well actually to do just that: picture him at the end of a long, treachorous, winding road dotted with hair pin corners...

Anyway, tires will wear more on the edge than the middle, unless you've *really* raised pressure, and with 26000 miles wear will be progressing. Maybe check with a depth gauge, at the edge, at the centre, and post the difference?

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I always keep my tyres 2 psi over the recommended and they still would rub the edges. I always thought it was my driving as well as town driving (lots of roundabouts), but it's good to know others are having a similar issue. I might increase the pressures another psi on the new tyres I'm about to fit and see how that affects things.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have always run my Prius tires at 42 front/40 rear because the OE tires (GY Integrity) had very soft sidewalls and had excessive edge wear. The sidewall rating on those tires were 44 psi MAX COLD so 42 had some margin. The tires I use now are Nokian WRg2 and are rated at 51 psi MAX Cold so they have extra safety margin.

Car manufacturers, as stated earlier, tend to choose a compromise pressure for a soft ride and don't know the characteristics of the tires you buy after the JUNK they initially put on a new car are replaced. None of the replacement tires I have had on my Prius (4 sets: Michelin MXV4+, Nokian WR, Nokian WRg2 x2 - all LRR tires after the OE GY Integritys) for the 239,000 miles it has run to date have exhibited uneven tread wear.

JeffD

Andyprius # 1 and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  14. I have never had any tires explode! Post 13 makes the most sense. Listen to him. Never listen to auto manuf. on tire pressures. They will wear the crap tires that came with the car out prematurely. Especially the edges.

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Within about 5,000 miles of getting my Prius I had one of the stock Bridgestones explode on me; thankfully when I was stationary! No I hadn't been driving fast or overloaded or under inflated. I religiously check my tyre pressures. So they can just go bang for no reason (other than maybe manufacturing faults). Unfortunately I had to get the tyre replaced asap so didn't send it back to Bridgestone for investigation, though now regret not doing so.

16. Strange, are you sure it wasn't a highlands terror attack?

17. what you can also do to get another 26000 miles on the tires is to inflate them to about 55-60 lbs to take advantage of the min center wear and to also lift the edges thereby stopping cold anymore excessive edge wear. Take a footprint after inflating tires.

18. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Sure they do .. at the most they could do is the lowest common denominator thing..... it really depends on the tires (sidewall design etc)

It is actually makes no sense that regardless what tires you put on the car companies years in advance know the optimum tire pressure ... (it is just that recommended number for average use with average tires etc)

19. No, they do not randomly select a tire pressure, they know exactly what pressure will give the softest ride, that is all they care about. Making thier car look good. They are not interested in anything else. Why? Because they do not sell or manufacture the tire. A simple test will prove why low pressure is bad. On a hot day, feel how hot the tires are after a highway run, they are so hot you cannot hold your hand on the tire? Now take a run with 50 lbs pressure, you will see they are much cooler. For a better check, use a infrared temp reader. If you want the facts, at least go to the tire manufacturer .

20. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My last set of Michelin Energy Saver tires I got over 68,000 miles on them. They wore perfectly
    even. I kept all 4 tires at maximum sidewall pressure as listed on the side of the tire which
    is 44 PSI.

My new set of Michelin Energy Saver tires I just purchased will also be set at 44 PSI.

I have people tell me that with 44 psi the center of the tire will wear out. This is a proven falsehood
    in my opinion, at least with this tire.