1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire wear question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MikeGreen, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MikeGreen

MikeGreen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,
    So I've been searching quite a bit about Prius alignment and tire wear problems and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I haven't rotated the tires my car came with for the past 10k miles because they're mismatched and I wanted to see if I'd notice any irregular tire wear. Sure enough I found some, but not what I expected. The inside edge of both of my front tires are wearing significantly faster then the rest of the tire. I've heard that Pri come with some negative camber to aid in stability, is this a result of this, or a bad alignment?

Has anyone had any experience with removing some of that negative camber? I'm quite the broke undergrad and would love to extend my tire's life if possible but I can't afford to remove much high speed stability as I spend most of my time doing 78 mph.

Feel free to spew technical jargon at me as you feel fit, I'm pretty well versed in automobiles and can educate myself if need be :)

For reference my car is a 2006 G2 with 226k miles that I keep aired up to between 44 and 50 psi.
    I'd say I drive it fairly normally, its always fun to get some G's on the occasional jug handle but I've never caused it to under steer.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You probably have the highest PSI ever posted. What is the printed Maximum PSI for each tire currently. Compare this manufacture's maximum against what you currently have inside.

Most people run the PSI higher than the factory tire placard, but still maintain the 2PSI differential, between the front and rear. I have seen lots of 42/40, 40/38, and 38/36. I have never see 50-44.

Is this a rhetorical question? You do realize the human eye would not be able to detect 0.5degree increments that an alignment machine can. As you probably also know, the alignment machine would know how far out of specifications each side is, and alert the mechanic when each side is back to specifications.

How much tread is left on the tires?
    What will be cheaper? Front end alignment (Prius lacks adjustable rear angles, unless a shim is used) or frequent premature tire replacement?

Camber-Caster have tradeoffs for stability and cornering. Read this.
    Alignment Measures | Yokohama Tire Corp. | Yokohama Tire Corporation

When were the suspension components last changed?
    What is the current ride height of each corner? Compare the Front Left vs Front Right and Rear Left vs Rear Right.

3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At 50 and 44 and you are seeing inside tire wear on the fronts, I would suggest you need the alignment checked for openers but most likely aligned and I would not be surprised if some suspension components have reached the end of their service life. Your choice tires or alignment. But at 50psi in the fronts those things should be riding on the center rib of the tire not the inside edge.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tires will tend to wear faster on the inside edges, due to the negative camber on the rear. It's by design: having the rear wheels slightly splayed out at the bottom keeps the car more planted during cornering. By the time the tires are near done that will take it's toll, but it's not that significant.

I'd take no action, other than to lower your tire pressures a bit, stay closer to the spec. in the driver's door jamb, maybe give them another rotation, and start window shopping for replacements.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. MikeGreen

MikeGreen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies!
    When I said between 44-50 psi I meant that all four tires are uniformly somewhere in that range. ie: when it gets colder I wait for it to drop to 44 then air them up to 47, then as it gets warmer I release some air around 50. The reason I keep them so high is because I noticed the inside edge wear/ it reduces tire wear in general/ increases fuel economy/ reduces hydroplaning/ gives a tighter sidewall. I'm in class now so I'll post some pics of the tires later but they have plenty of tread left, even where they're most worn.

To answer if my question was rhetorical, no. Some people use angle finders and what not to align their own cars, or request certain specific values when they get their vehicles aligned. I was curious if anyone had aligned for 0 or slightly negative camber, and if they did, how did the car's handling dynamics change?
    I just read the link exstudent posted and interestingly enough you want less negative camber for highway travel, I might have to get some camber bolts and an angle finder and take a crack at this myself :D (I am aware that if you alter camber you have to re-adjust toe, but I wanted to do that anyways because my steering wheel is slightly tilted when tracking strait)

I never thought to measure the ride height, I'll attempt to find a level surface to try that on. I'll jack the car up this weekend and wiggle the tires to check the tie rod ends while I'm at it.

I'm not sure if this vehicle has ever had any maintenance performed on it aside from regular oil changes, I bought the car with 21x,xxx on the odometer for $1800 with a mostly intact carfax service history that only detailed oil changes.

I have personally rebuilt the battery and changed the oil/trans axle fluid myself since purchasing. I have plans to put some more fresh modules in the battery, swap in a new inverter pump, put in a lexus 200h drivers seat, change the fuel filter, and, if I'm feeling frisky chop off the side view mirrors and replace them with cameras (elon musk style) this summer as I'm going on co-op and will have some income to put into the car.

6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am new with Prius' and don't know they are set to wear the inside front tire. Could be as many cars are.

Easiest check for a home DIY would be toe.
    If you have excess toe out the inside fronts would wear.
    That could explain why outer tire wear is reduced with higher pressure.

Home DIY caster/ camber (especially 4 wheel alignments) with internet bought tool kits I have no experience with.
    Might be best to look for a $99.95 alignment special have a pro do the alignment.

Good luck.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool Mike, sounds like you have a firm understanding of what you are talking about and more importantly the ambition and where-with-all to be as self reliant as you can be. Props brother!

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...or... you can just buy another set of tires.

Honestly, couldn't catch half of what you wrote down. What I can say is the inside wore faster on my Prius tires as well and I had to replace them prematurely. Even though I got 90k miles out of them, like you I am stretching the dollar. Seeing perfectly good tread on the rest of the tire was disappointing. As Mendel Leisk said, the camber is designed that way. Messing with the car to increase tire life for tires you didn't even purchase new sounds like penny wise pound foolish. You don't know what the previous owner did.

Cheap new tires cost $50 each anyway. A pair would be the same cost as an alignment.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The fuel filter is not a serviceable item in the traditional sense; it is not a la carte replacement, like an air filter, oil filter, spark plugs. Fuel filter replacement requires a NEW gas tank.

Ball joints and bushings too.

Wouldn't it be wise to spend your limited funds on proper maintenance (ie suspension work as the struts and shocks may have never been changed) and a genuine alignment instead of accessories?