1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire wear/toein/toe-out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spanprofe, May 13, 2011.

1. spanprofe

spanprofe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back when most cars had positive camber (front wheels leaned out at the top), we heard that to avoid excessive tread wear those wheels needed toe-in to compensate for any wheel's tendency to curve in the direction it leans. Now we have severe negative camber (Prius rear wheels lean in 1.5 degrees, +/- 0.5). This would seem to call for toe-out to compensate for the wheels' tendency to roll in a curve toward the center of the car. To the contrary, Prius specs call for slight toe-in. Could this be a factor in the excessive tire wear reported by many Prius owners? Has anyone out there experimented with shimming Prius rear wheels to toe out instead of in? If so, how much toe-out is or would be appropriate?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you could go to zero toe in at the front (my car measured pretty close to zero on successive measurements), but toe out would probably make it a little squirrely IMO. Several people have had the toe adjusted to slightly toe in to help the stability at highway speed.

There are several threads on Prius alignment - some have had issues with handling at higher speed and in crosswinds. My car had out of spec rear toe which was corrected with shims. It helped with highway stability.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which way was it out before you corrected it?

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Too much toe in at the right rear. About .40 degrees (spec is .03 - .28 IIRC). Shimmed to match the left rear at .15 degrees.

1 person likes this.