1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire/Wheel Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bobby George, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Bobby George

Bobby George New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New member and first post on the forum. Apologies if this has been covered before.

I would like to upgrade the wheels on my Prius Two from 15" to 17" but can't find a definitive answer to this all important question:

* Will the ABS unit & EPS system on cars with 15" wheels accept a 17" wheel?

My dealer says no, some of you here say no, but others here say yes and have upgraded with no problems.

Thanks in advance, Bobby.

2. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had at one time 17" Scion rims. I had no issues except a drop in mileage. I eventually went back to my stock 15" rims.

3. Bobby George

Bobby George New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that. Was there a reason you went back to the stock 15" wheels if the ABS/ESP with the 17" rims was all fine?

4. firemechanic

firemechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went from 15's to aftermarket 17's and have no problems at all. Handling is much better, bumps a little harsher and fuel mileage dropped a little. "LOOKS" are tens times better:rockon:

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The larger wheels are heavier so mileage and ride will suffer. The ABS etc. will be just fine. You have to choose the tire so the overall diameter is the same or at least close to the stock wheel/tire combo (it's actually the overall diameter of the -tire-, but we always like to include the wheel ;) ).

If you can find a strong wheel with the same weight and the 17" tire is close in weight mileage and ride will not suffer. Volk Racing eco wheels might be ok.

Do keep in mind that when Toyota changes the wheel diameter they also change the power steering unit and the suspension.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ABS and EPS are not directly influenced by tire size - 17" is the max stock size on the Prius, so there is no reason it should not work. No way Toyota is selling a Prius with 2 versions of software to take care of 2 sets of wheels... no way.

I would like to know the reasons your dealer brings up for that answer - for me is a CYA answer.

But a side question - in Europe when a car is sold, it gets a document that states what type of wheels the car is allowed to put on. So there is not much to discuss about and you are not allowed really to put what you want. If I wanted to put 19" - I would have to go through inspection and official release for a modified car - and that is something I don't want to do - big waste of time and money. So - dealers here will put on only what is stated in the official documents released by each EU member state, and a car sold in the EU states, gets the same papers in all states...

So your question would have an easy answer here in EU...

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wheels weight is important but I would be more concerned with tire choice. The stock 17" wheels are god aweful heavy but with a, decent LRR tire the mpg hit is not took bad. My aftermarket 17s weigh the same as my OEM 15s but mypoor tire choice kills my mpg (-4 to -6).