1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires best for traction on gravel slope?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seattler, Oct 10, 2016.

1. seattler

seattler New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Friends,
    My drive is a very steep 1/4 mile gravel drive, and here in the Pacific Northwest conditions are often wet. It's time for new tires, and currently there are times when my anti-slip function kicks in and I literally can't go up my own driveway because of it. We very rarely get snow or even ice here, so I don't think that a winter tire is necessarily my best bet. I think I'm looking for either an all-season tire that prioritizes traction (over performance or MPG), or even something that is kind of in-between an all-season and a winter tire. Any recommendations? (I'm inclined to buy tires from my dealership, as they've got a promotion currently and I have some other work I want to get done there anyway. But if there was a really good tire recommendation that I had to get elsewhere I would certainly consider getting them elsewhere.)
    Thanks in advance....

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think any tire will help much, probably nothing short of a four wheel drive. Are you renting, or it's your place? If the latter, at least get it regraded? Or paved?

3. seattler

seattler New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I own the property, and I am not that interested in adding another vehicle unless I would really have to. Nonetheless, and since I need new tires anyway, I'd still love to hear any feedback on good traction tires for my Prius, since that seems like the first logical step. Thanks!

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll have to live with it. Try slow and steady and never stop.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You need one of these! Amazing.

6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't really recommend a tire for you, Seattler, but I would not recommend the Pirelli Cinturato p7 All Season Plus for those conditions. We're extremely happy with them on our Prius here in Southern California but the tread pattern is not aggressive enough for what you are asking it to do. Good LRR tire on the highway and relatively quiet but not a super wet traction and dirt road tire.

7. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't rule out the snow tire. You will compromise your dry road traction and ride for sure, but if you just need to get into your driveway, a mud / snow tire is going to have a larger tread pattern lined with tiny layers of silica glass that grab onto slippery surfaces such as ice, rocks etc.

Another option, have you tried backing up the slope in reverse?

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You would need off-road tires. But those are not made for passenger vehicles. Your best bet would be a snow tires that have lots of open spaces between the tread patches. This looks good. Firestone Winterforce

Have you looked into getting the driveway paved? Expensive for sure.

Are emergency vehicles there, esp Ambulance, 4x4? Would a first responder even make it up your driveway? In a medical emergency, time is of the essence.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would suggest looking for tire designs found on smaller SUV or vehicles with off-road abilities like our Outback which comes with Bridgestone Duelers. Finding such designs in a 15inch would probably be very limited so you'd have to consider moving up to 16 inch wheels too.

Stevewoods likes this.
  10. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Several years ago for a non-Prius, a tire dealer -- I don't remember which one, but it was most likely a local tire store -- suggested something like fotomoto is talking about for our passenger vehicle.

I never saw that it really gave us any better traction in the backwoods or going up my driveway -- and what the original poster is talking about sounds suspiciously like my situation (hey, this isn't Kevin posting under Seattler, is it?).

But the "truck tires" did affect handling on "regular roads" and the tires wore quickly. But, it may be worth a try.

I lose traction a few times a year in pretty much the same places in the Prius.

I don't mind losing the traction so much, it is the "shut down" that I hate.